The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 151 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 08-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #2251
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Is he serious?
I wish I was serious, I can hardly fund my projects alone lol.

however I have put serious thought into something amazing happening like winning the lotto. build a big shop stock it full of tools and equipment then hire out of work jeepers to build jeeps. Ahh to dream!

Unread 08-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #2252
Zjones1994
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Id do it for free if i could haha
USN Hull #233
Check out my build!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/t...build-1347318/
Zjones1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #2253
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4311 View Post
Always a chance they did it before upgrading everything else to that point.
That's very true, but those rigs have a purpose-built "did it all at once" look to them and this was the basis of my commentary. With that said, I do have to admit that there could be some tire interference with the tub even with that large of a lift; there's so much potential uptravel that one of the tires could arc inwards far enough to cause trauma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
The rims have the shops logo cut into them,
Oh, now that's just gauche...

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
How is the soft half top going to mount to the decks front lip? If you discussed this I missed it, I looked back a bit but didn't see it.
Snaps. We're going to run three or four snaps around the corner of the upper skirt, and that will form the attachment for the corners of the soft top side panels. The rear window - which is as large as a factory soft top rear window, mind you - will also snap into the skirt. We'll just mark and drill the proper holes and then install the through-bolted snaps. Simple.

Quote:
I will pay you minimum wage to help fund your build. All you have to do is come help me 1) get my comanches home 2) help me do the drivetrain swap on my gladiator. 3) help me build one of the comanches using GM drive train and FSJ narrow track cherokee axles and finally 4) help me swap a 4.3L GM V6 into my TJ. I may be temped to throw in the leftover comanche and associated parts for a end of year bonus......
An entertaining offer...and since I don't really have a full-time job of any sort it's tempting.

On a more serious note: that GM 4.3L swap is a very smart plan. Light, compact...most of its mass further down and more rearwards than the factory six...you'll be more than happy with your weight balance, there.

Pictured: Speaking of being happy with things...

We had 100% relative humidity today, and against my better judgment I applied a bit more paint...mostly because I needed a break from stripping/polishing the aluminum logistic track and I wanted to see how it would look in a finished state against the textured black paint of the deck. I'm pleased with the results; the trim blocks are not ostentatious in the least, and the satin exterior of the aluminum track sections looks pretty slick against their black interiors and the deck surface itself. I think the stainless hardware will be the perfect finishing touch.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #2254
Yarz
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks Awesome!

1990 White YJ TBI350, SM465, NP231, SOA, RE 1.5" SOA springs, Ford 8.8, D30, 4.10's, JBConversions SYE, XJ shaft, Bilstein 5150s, jb4x4 steering, MORE SS brakelines, 35x12.50 15 MT's, '95 YJ Brake Booster, '78 Grand Marquis MC, ZJ Prop. Valve
Yarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #2255
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarz View Post
Looks Awesome!
Thank you! I hope it will turn out exactly that way.

Unread 08-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #2256
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes the more I look into it the more I am comvinced that the GM 4.3L V6 is the best engine for wranglers and cherokees and comanches. At least from a mild to moderate build point of view. The 4.0 is fine if you have one already but there is far more potential in other options.

In other news your deck is looking awesome. very well done sir!
Unread 08-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #2257
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes the more I look into it the more I am comvinced that the GM 4.3L V6 is the best engine for wranglers and cherokees and comanches. At least from a mild to moderate build point of view. The 4.0 is fine if you have one already but there is far more potential in other options.
I've seen some nicely-done supercharged four-cylinder powerplants as well, but the location of the V6 mass is choice. That's why I'm so hung up on the V8 configuration, myself...it's less weight than the six, and it's further back and down. The 4.3 is a more refined iteration of that idea...and with some tuning they can make decent power; 300+ isn't hard to do. And believe me...I've considered going that route.

Quote:
In other news your deck is looking awesome. very well done sir!
Thank you!

Unread 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #2258
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: We've got drier weather and sunshine...and that means PAINT.

Unread 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #2259
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedriver View Post
I teach CCW here in NC That is the class we all - DREAM - about
Turned out to be a great class! The instructors daughter took me to dinner that night and I got four other phone numbers. With the exception of one, all the girls in the class were

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #2260
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the results of painting the deck surface are in: it looks absolutely f****** terrible.

The texture that works so well on curved features - i.e. fender flares - works against itself on flat surfaces; the paint either piles up or dries and thins out, and the end result is a blotchy effect. Thus, there's no way to get an even coating on a large surface...that's the simplest way to explain it. I've got an HVLP gun with which I could apply a separate finish layer of paint, but I think the uneven texture beneath it is just going to show through and leave me with another sub-par, soft, weak finish.

At this point I don't really know what to do, aside from sanding the paint I applied today to a smooth finish and starting over with another type of finish. So much for having it done this week.

Unread 08-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #2261
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's tough to spray that much flat surface area with a rattle can for sure! I think you're right about grabbing the HVLP gun and go with maybe a HotRod black or something.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:03 PM   #2262
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Well, the results of painting the deck surface are in: it looks absolutely f****** terrible.

The texture that works so well on curved features - i.e. fender flares - works against itself on flat surfaces; the paint either piles up or dries and thins out, and the end result is a blotchy effect. Thus, there's no way to get an even coating on a large surface...that's the simplest way to explain it. I've got an HVLP gun with which I could apply a separate finish layer of paint, but I think the uneven texture beneath it is just going to show through and leave me with another sub-par, soft, weak finish.

At this point I don't really know what to do, aside from sanding the paint I applied today to a smooth finish and starting over with another type of finish. So much for having it done this week.
I had the same experience with my rock rails, but I am not as anal as you and just piled the paint on.

If I have problem a with it I'll repaint it. First paint jobs are known to be a learning experience.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #2263
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am not a fan of the textured paint , but I love the hammered finishes . Sounds like you have some sanding or stripping in your near future ... I feel for ya .
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #2264
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
It's tough to spray that much flat surface area with a rattle can for sure! I think you're right about grabbing the HVLP gun and go with maybe a HotRod black or something.
If I go that route, I'll have to sand down the texture to an even level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
I had the same experience with my rock rails, but I am not as anal as you and just piled the paint on.

If I have problem a with it I'll repaint it. First paint jobs are known to be a learning experience.
It's a learning experience...that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I am not a fan of the textured paint , but I love the hammered finishes . Sounds like you have some sanding or stripping in your near future ... I feel for ya .
Well, I'm thinking of it this way: I've got a really good base coat of black laid down...and that's certainly not any kind of loss. I think I'll take a block to it tomorrow and just sand it down uniformly and see where that gets me. The skirts and smaller areas look great...it's just the big, open patches that are causing the problem. The main issue is getting a solid coat applied without the texture piling up and turning into a gel-like mass. Likewise, a thinner coat only causes a coarse, soft sandy build-up that has no adhesion to itself. I've got plenty of 220-grit paper, and that'll knock it down to a flat surface pretty quickly...and it'll also give me some time to think on a better course of action. Ideally, I can find a way to apply the textured paint in an even, smooth fashion...I just don't know what that will be.

Unread 08-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #2265
johnrmclean
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

You could roller over it somehow???
98 TJ, 82 El Camino tactical support vehicle, 2001 supercharged S 2000, 1979 MGB 350 ci/400hp small block Chevy, 1947 Studebaker pick up/future Rat Ride, 2001 Sebring Convertible, 28' Baja Offsore, 2 seados and a 17' fishing boat...
johnrmclean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.