The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitLong Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #211
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the answers and nice pics

justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #212
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great build. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! And your wife is very pretty. You're a lucky man to get a good lookin' gal to turn wrenches.
Mine refuses to do anything but sit there and mock me when I drop a wrench on my face.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #213
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Nice shots! Beautiful countryside! And your right, those tires are frickin HUGE! LOL!
Yes, it's amazing what wonderful places are hiding in our backyards...which is why I always carry a camera. And by that, I mean a real camera...not just a cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idskot View Post
Great build. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! And your wife is very pretty. You're a lucky man to get a good lookin' gal to turn wrenches.
Mine refuses to do anything but sit there and mock me when I drop a wrench on my face.
I am very, very lucky indeed...and she didn't even laugh when a socket flew off the impact wrench and hit me below the eye.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #214
MattGATRTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had some farm roads to explore. Jealous
MattGATRTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #215
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good, thanks for the pics!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #216
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: absolutely f****** nothing, because I'm still waiting on brakes and a shock. I'm not sure that Savvy has even shipped the order yet, even though that was the indication that I got over the phone. Ugh. Same with ARB...no warranty confirmation on the shock, and no shipping notice. I was going to detail Greta's engine compartment in readiness for the compressor relocation but SOMEONE used up all the engine degreaser...

Unread 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #217
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Eventually, I'll Be Able To Stop This Crazy Thing...

Well, I've figured out what happened to the brake parts...

Short Version: Savvy got confused.

Long Version: Well, this requires a bit of a recap...so you might want to crack open a cold one, Dear Reader, if you've got one on hand.

After I nearly got killed due to my stock brakes not being up to the task of stopping the 35" Falkens I got very serious about braking issues. I called Blaine at Savvy and - after speaking with him for awhile - we came to the conclusion that a simple pad and rotor upgrade wasn't going to do the job reliably. The Savvy pad/rotor combination is sometimes enough to stop a TJ on 35's, but not 100% of the time with 100% of the Jeeps in question. The 15" brake kit and its twin-piston caliper would be a more reliable answer, and the upgrade to a 16" kit - i.e. 12" diameter rotor - would be icing on the cake. After hearing that I planned to pull a trailer, Blaine suggested that I go with as much brake as I could afford. When I asked whether or not the 16" kit gave any real increase in performance, Blaine informed me - in his lovably terse way - of the following: "If the 16" setup didn't give you significant improvement, I wouldn't waste my time building it."

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Actually, you don't have to do much thinking, which seems to usually the case when talking with Blaine on the phone. You ask a question, he answers, and about five seconds into the answer your mind begins to say "F***, I'm stupid..." However, if you shut up and listen you can usually learn quite a bit and this time was no exception. Blaine also told me that since it was a bit of an emergency to go ahead and order the kit from Savvy - even though all of the brake kits are backordered - and that he would just put it together from a store of extra parts that he has on hand. I do so and about fifteen minutes later I've got an order/shipping confirmation. I posted an update about this a few days back...but I still don't have my parts. Hmm...

Clarification: Savvy doesn't actually hold back kits or parts...this should not be inferred from my commentary. Blaine offered to make up a kit out of parts that he keeps on the shelf for the purposes of visual examination should someone call with a technical issue that requires both parties to be looking at the part in question whilst on the phone with each other. He was doing me a big favor by offering this.

So last night I shot off an e-mail to Gerald at Savvy, asking about a firm arrival date. Gerald writes back and says that Blaine will send me an e-mail when he ships it. That makes perfect sense...except that I had an e-mail from ten days ago saying that Blaine had already shipped it. So, this morning I e-mailed Blaine and asked him what was going on with the order. I quickly got an e-mail back that simply said "Give me a call..." I called and the first thing he said was "Well, it's always easier to tell someone that they got screwed over on the phone..."

As usual, he was right.

It turned out that right after I spoke with Blaine on the phone the first time someone else called with the exact same issue and sent an e-mail order that was a near-verbatim copy of my own, but because even Blaine's store of personal parts was tapped out due to my order, the other guy was told that he'd have to simply wait until some more parts were available. When it came time to ship my order the next morning, though, my kit got sent to the other guy and - because the orders were almost carbon copies of each other - Savvy was under the impression that I'd already gotten mine. When he told me this I just blinked a couple of times and said "You gotta be f****** kidding me."

As usual, he was not kidding.

It was an honest-to-god "you can't make this stuff up" communication error. He told me that - after getting my e-mail this morning - they sat around for about fifteen minutes trying to figure out what had happened before they realized that they had mistakenly shipped my already-spoken-for parts to the other guy. This was NOT GOOD, but Savvy has a reputation for doing their level best to make things right. I'm then told that I have two options:

Option 1: Wait between two and four weeks for the large pallet of knuckles in Blaine's driveway to get shipped out to Van's machine shop, machined, shipped back, packed into kit-form and then shipped to me.

Option 2: Have a kit built around a set of knuckles that Blaine took off his wife's rig, and get it shipped out today or tomorrow.

This decision took all of about .05 seconds. Why? Well, it's a surprisingly easy answer. Blaine is like most guys when it comes to their wives: our favorite girls get the nice stuff and we just kind of make do with whatever's left. We'll spend money on their Jeeps before our own, and we'll make sure that whatever parts we're bolting onto their rides are as perfect as possible. The only things we treasure more than Jeeps are wives and sweethearts and girlfriends...may they never meet.

Thus, when I tacitly inquired about the condition of the take-off knuckles to make sure that they were in good shape - and if you know anything about Blaine or anyone he associates with or the terrain they wheel, you will realize that this is a very, very legitimate question - he basically cut me off and said "Only the best of the best goes on Kat's rig...I even pick through the good stuff to find the prettiest ones." With that in mind, one can understand how my decision was so rapidly made. However, let's rephrase the two earlier options for the slower members of the class:

Option 1: Wait for a pair of knuckles to be sent to me after the machine shop gets done with them, which may be next week or next month.

Option 2: Have a near-perfect set of knuckles that were hand-picked by Blaine to go on Kat's Jeep cleaned and otherwise prettied-up and sent to me post-haste.

I took Option 2.

Unread 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #218
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Blaine and Geerald really do seem like great guys. I like when people don't try to feed me a line of BS and pass the buck on someone else. Can't wait to start getting my Savvy upgrades.
dongalonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #219
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
Blaine and Geerald really do seem like great guys. I like when people don't try to feed me a line of BS and pass the buck on someone else. Can't wait to start getting my Savvy upgrades.
From everything I know of them, they're first rate people. Hell, Blaine spent 45 minutes on the phone with me in the middle of the day talking about brakes just because I had a list of questions a mile long. I hadn't even committed to ordering the parts at that point...and come to think of it, he was suggesting that I buy the kit directly from Vanco if their price was cheaper. That kind of interaction is rare, anymore...so I'm glad to send my money their way.

Based on the above, I'd say that you're in good hands if you've got Savvy parts. Make sure to write up the installs in your build thread.

Unread 04-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #220
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Will do. Luckily I have a local shop that is a lot like Savvy in that they don't try to screw you. That shop has saved me money and aggravation in selecting the right parts the first time. For the things I can't do, such as welding, it is a nice option to have.
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #221
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongalonga View Post
For the things I can't do, such as welding, it is a nice option to have.
Man, I can weld...and if I can do it, I know you can. Like most things it simply takes a bit of time and practice. For what you pay to have someone weld for you, you can quickly afford a stick welder. Or, think of it this way: if you need a tool more than once it's best to go ahead and own it.

And that's why I'll soon own a case spreader.

Unread 04-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #222
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am a believer in owning a tool you need multiple times. I may find someone local willing to teach me and see where it leads.
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #223
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Either that or do what I did...buy the welder, find some scrap steel, read the instructions and start figuring it out on your own. You can teach yourself a lot in the age of the internet.

Unread 04-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #224
dongalonga
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Like how to spend money Gotta love JF!
Unread 04-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #225
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Update Coming: TPS and IAC repairs.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.