The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 110 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

DynoMax fall Ultra Flo Welded rebate is here!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Shocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 07-04-2012, 07:02 AM   #1636
Skeets682
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileEKI-Ody View Post
i tried to to mentally imagine all this medical, survival, wasteland gear and the amount of space it would take up
and i realized why the military drives humvees insteaad of wranglers

derp of the day
No, the military carries that much stuff because they have HUMVEES. Being a former Flight Engineer on the C-5, we always were amazed at how much our "customers" would increase their "package" based upon how much space they THOUGHT we had. Example, the M1A1: orignally designed to be able to airlift TWO on one C-5 for quick reaction. It quickly became apparent that after everything the Army added on, that only ONE per aircraft could be airlifted. This became a very limiting factor during the Somalia goat rope post Blackhawk Down, when we had to airlift them from Fort Stewart to Mogadishu, non-stop. 14 hours, 5 air refuelings, then land at a hot airfield....

Retired AF
Skeets682 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #1637
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

On my way into work today, A nice looking TJ pulls out in front of me with a Rampage Bumper Tire carrier combo. At a distance it looked nice, but after Sundowners issues I HAD to look closer. Sure enough the carrier was canted, and the latch was twisted at an angle enough to make me cringe. If it wasn't for the fact I was headed into work, I would have pulled the guy over and took pictures. I wonder if he did the install himself, had a shop do it, or bought the Jeep that way. Just wanted to get his opinion on the carrier and it's issues, and whether or not he contacted Rampage and what they might have told him...
Unread 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #1638
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Sure enough the carrier was canted, and the latch was twisted at an angle enough to make me cringe. If it wasn't for the fact I was headed into work, I would have pulled the guy over and took pictures. I wonder if he did the install himself, had a shop do it, or bought the Jeep that way. Just wanted to get his opinion on the carrier and it's issues, and whether or not he contacted Rampage and what they might have told him...
This was probably the most mysterious thing that happened during the entire affair with the rear carrier: Rampage hadn't had anyone call in and inquire about the cant of the carrier, and - as of the last phone calls we had on the subject - they had sent 55 of them out the door. Even excerpting the fact that not all 55 would have been sold/installed as of that time, the thought that the carrier could be misaligned to that degree and have NOBODY call seemed ludicrous to everyone.

However, such seems to be exactly the case; the above testimony bears it out, as does the fact that - as of the time of this writing - Rampage STILL hasn't completely gotten the upper swing issues sorted out, and they're still working on their jigs. Translation: no rear bumper on the way, yet.

In related news: The Republic of Dave says "Happy America Day (Observed)!" to everyone out there in TV-Land.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:13 PM   #1639
dmj13
All Jeep'd up.

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileEKI-Ody
i tried to to mentally imagine all this medical, survival, wasteland gear and the amount of space it would take up
and i realized why the military drives humvees insteaad of wranglers

derp of the day
When it comes down to it and you're looking at carrying just enough trauma gear to stop bleeding and transport, what you take depends on your distance from the next level of treatment. If you're traveling in a pair forget a regular folding stretcher- that requires two. A skedco litter would probably wrap around a roll bar for storage and only takes one to pull it. Ditto fluids. Wrap an IV bag and the tubing, catheters, etc together with tape or whatever. Velcro strap your bags onto the rollbars also. When you need it, pull it loose and put it together.
All your other gear, bandages, splits, etc should not take that much space. Hell, most of the bulky stuff you can probably improvise with other kit you're carrying. Just practice it before you need it. Unless you are very qualified or very desperate, your number one treatment for serious trauma is maintain the airway, stop the bleeding and administer the gas to the nearest help. IVs really shouldn't be a first or required treatment for most injuries.
My two cents.....
Unread 07-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #1640
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Take this from a Firefighter EMT's perspective. We have an ambulance full of stuff to stabilize and treat a trauma PT correctly. You would never be able to carry this in a Wrangler. Your first aide kit should be no bigger than a GYM bag. The Golden Hour is our best medicine for a PT. That is from time of incident to in the hospital surgical ward. The best thing you can do is know where you are (GPS/Good Maps and landmarks) and the quickest way to get help to you. Direct pressure and stabilization of injuries are the best you can do for the injured along with ABC's. Leave the stapler and IV fluids for the professionals. (this is totally constructive critisism in no way do i mean to sound like a know it all)
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1641
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

And don't forget the Tylonol PM!!!
Unread 07-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #1642
dmj13
All Jeep'd up.

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm with you MrB. The real trick is practicing using what you DO bring. If you had a hard time starting an IV on whatever buddy let you practice, all the fancy fluids and needles in the world won't help when you're trying and really stressing out about it.
But in the Interest of over doing it just for the hell of it, why not look into intraosseous IV kits? IVs made easy, and it involves a power tool! Drills a needle right into the head of the Tibia and delivers fluid through the bone. I've only put them in unconscious patients, but supposedly you can tolerate it conscious. I was never willing to try it.....
Unread 07-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #1643
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Could just go the; "I just gotta run faster then you" route and say thanks for your gear and hopefully his wife is hot!?..
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #1644
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB
Take this from a Firefighter EMT's perspective. We have an ambulance full of stuff to stabilize and treat a trauma PT correctly. You would never be able to carry this in a Wrangler. Your first aide kit should be no bigger than a GYM bag. The Golden Hour is our best medicine for a PT. That is from time of incident to in the hospital surgical ward. The best thing you can do is know where you are (GPS/Good Maps and landmarks) and the quickest way to get help to you. Direct pressure and stabilization of injuries are the best you can do for the injured along with ABC's. Leave the stapler and IV fluids for the professionals. (this is totally constructive critisism in no way do i mean to sound like a know it all)
Seconded...off the top of my head... 2 tourniquets, a couple SAM splints, a bunch of sterile gauze, nasal pharyngeal airway, ace bandage, a couple triangle slings, and a quick clot impregnated bandage...along with usual for scratches and dents, bandaids, Neosporin, alcohol/iodine pads, ibuprofen, and aspirin....call it a day. Oh, and a thin bladed knife that you don't use for everything else for which you need a knife. Probably could fit in a fanny pack sized container. Please note, I am not actually recommending you WEAR a fanny pack.

Missing anything?
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #1645
takirc02
1984 CJ7 

Duplicate post, I'm an idiot.
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #1646
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I might add a couple of cervical collars, a bag valve mask and trauma sheers . Of course in order to do proper c-spine imobilization you need a full back board head blocks, and straps.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM   #1647
ScottD06X
2011 JK Wrangler 

I made it. I found the end of the thread, the most recent post. Three days of reading and I can say that I've been entertained, educated, inspired and amused by the writing and content. Well done. Now I am subscribed and can allow my internal computer to process everything I've read. Currently the display simply reads. 601

Now it's time for a sammich and to finish my fallout 3 adventure. Caps to you.
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1648
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD06X View Post
I made it. I found the end of the thread, the most recent post.
Well, so much for having found the most recent post...but I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Hopefully I'm still managing to hold people's interest, even at this late hour. Enjoy the Fallout and the sammich...I may go have one myself, today...after the pattern-making, of course.

Today's Jeeping: See above commentary. I'm probably making a pattern or two. BUT FOR WHAT? [cue dramatic music]

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1649
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Well, so much for having found the most recent post...but I'm glad that you're enjoying it. Hopefully I'm still managing to hold people's interest, even at this late hour. Enjoy the Fallout and the sammich...I may go have one myself, today...after the pattern-making, of course.

Today's Jeeping: See above commentary. I'm probably making a pattern or two. BUT FOR WHAT? [cue dramatic music]
After my Thursday morning safety meeting related Chick-Fil-A Spicy Chicken Biscuit, i've noticed the hard medical turn this thread has taken.

MORE JEEP LESS MEDICAL.

P.S. Havent you guys seen 28 Days Later? You dont survive zombie attacks. You prevent them or get killed. No medical crap necessary.
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:35 AM   #1650
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD06X View Post
I made it. I found the end of the thread, the most recent post.

Ohhhhh NOooooooo.....

If you thought there was going to be an Emerald City at the end of this Yellow Brick Road, you are OHhhhh SOooooo Wrong!?...

But feel free to click your heels together on your Ruby Slippers as we gots Tons more Fluff, and Filler, as we wait for more Jeep project updates...

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.