The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 105 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #1561
b_a_mech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukky82
Dumb question time again. I am asking it here because there seems to be a good amount of knowledgable folks keeping up in here therefore I hope I will get an answere by this afternoon when the rapair shall go down. I just replaced my radiator, thermostat, and such last night. Got it all back together and had a leak when I cranked it back up. The leak is from a crack in the thermostat housing. It's not expensive and it is already ordered and at the parts store waiting for me to get off work.

Now for the question: Is there any sort of torque spec on the thermostat housing when I put the new one on? I know it needs to be pretty tight so as to avoid leaks. I am pretty sure that's how i cracked the other one. That and it has probably never been changed before. Thanks in advance for any help. This forum has been a huge help to me in the just over 3 years I have had my four angry squirrel powered heep!
IMHO...good and tight is fine. The trick is making sure when you put the housing on that the thermostat is in correctly and lined up with the "groove" it is suppose to sit in. I broke my housing because it wasn't lined up just right and I didn't catch it in time and I ended up replacing housing and thermostat (tstat just to be sure I wasn't putting a damaged part it, there cheap).
Have fun

BUILT NOT BOUGHT #602 / ZOMBIE RESPONSE TEAM #40 / USN HULL #196
b_a_mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #1562
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
How does one apply for citizenship in the Republic of Dave?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell420tj View Post
Lol good question
That is a good question...hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
And so it was done. Sammiches were had by all. Surprisingly, I found the one spicy chicken in the bunch and I jumped on it. At the end of the meeting a bag of chocolate chunk cookies appeared as well. Life was good.
Only one spicy sammich? Heads should roll for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukky82 View Post
Now for the question: Is there any sort of torque spec on the thermostat housing when I put the new one on? I know it needs to be pretty tight so as to avoid leaks. I am pretty sure that's how i cracked the other one. That and it has probably never been changed before. Thanks in advance for any help. This forum has been a huge help to me in the just over 3 years I have had my four angry squirrel powered heep!
This is usually a question for the Tech forum, but I'll make your life simple since you're already here.

Yes, there's a torque spec...most every fastener has one. The more interesting question, however, is why you would think that it has to be really tight: the thermostat housing has a gasket that goes with it and the gasket is what does the sealing...not the pure torque value. You need to be careful when you're installing your thermostat and housing and you need to tighten both sides equally and evenly. From my 2003 Factory Service Manual: CAUTION: Tightening the thermostat housing unevenly or with the thermostat out of its recess may result in a cracked housing.

Now, the torque value they specify? 250 inch pounds. That's roughly 20 foot-pounds, and that low of a torque value is VERY easy to exceed. Get yourself a new housing, a new Fel-Pro gasket, and then follow this procedure:

(1) Clean all gasket sealing surfaces.
(2) Place a new gasket (dipped in clean water) on the coolant outlet connector surface. Position thermostat with air bleed at 12 o’clock position in thermostat housing.
(3) Position the coolant outlet connector and gasket over the thermostat, making sure thermostat is seated in the thermostat housing.
(4) Position outlet connector to thermostat housing and install bolts. Tighten bolts to 28 Nm (20 ft. lbs.).
(5) Install radiator hose to coolant outlet housing.
(6) Connect engine coolant temperature sensor.
(7) Fill cooling system.

When you're done with that, spend the few dollars that it takes to get a Factory Service Manual for your Jeep. Mine is a .pdf version that cost me about $20, came on a CD along with a parts manual, and is now copied to a micro-sized USB key that stays in the Jeep. No matter where I go, I have a readable/searchable index for any and all repairs.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #1563
Recoil
1988 MJ Comanche 

Your a nice guy sundowner. Considering if he would have put wrangler thermostat housing torque in his google search bar he would have found endless threads on the subject and would not have. Littered your awesome thread which in turn for some reason provoked me to clutter it for yet a second time with off topic information.

Again, your a nice guy.

\/ \/ \/
EPIC
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #1564
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My apologies. I shall bother no more. Thanks guys for the advice. Goin on a hunt for a low cost FSM now. Have a great weekend everyone.
chukky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #1565
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Again, your a nice guy.
I really am a nice guy...which is probably why I'll one day be thought of as a total d*** like mrblaine and a few others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukky82 View Post
My apologies. I shall bother no more. Thanks guys for the advice. Goin on a hunt for a low cost FSM now. Have a great weekend everyone.
No apologies needed, dearest: I wasn't jumping on you about anything...I was merely stating that those kind of questions are better placed in a forum where some people that REALLY know Jeep systems can have a chance to respond.

Unread 06-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #1566
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hear ya. I am currently bidding on a CD copy of the FSM on ebay. I have wanted one for a while but the print ones are pretty dang pricey. Maybe I will win the ole auction.
Unread 06-29-2012, 10:45 AM   #1567
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Often the housing itself is not cracked. It leaks because the thermostat slipped down during the install and is slightly wedged between the housing and the block preventing a tight seal. It will look like it's leaking from a crack but its really just a poor seal surface. I usually use a gasket, and a gasket sealer to make sure it stays in place when I mount the housing back on.
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #1568
chukky82
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh it's a crack.....didn't have to look too hard to see it! haha..
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #1569
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of the rig Sundowner!

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #1570
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Only one spicy sammich? Heads should roll for that.
Yes. It was under the pile of (12) regular sammiches. Next to the (2) big bags of full of medium fries and (2) gallons of sweet tea and in between the (6) fried apple pies. Oh and don't forget about the (1) bag of chocolate chunk cookies off to the side.

I tell no tales.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #1571
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak17 View Post
Pics of the rig Sundowner!
Are you sure you want them now? Are you absolutely positive? You don't want to wait until we break out the sawzall? I was going to wait until the cutting began and then give everyone some teaser shots, but I guess I could just skip that part and go take a few mundane pictures of her in the driveway...

I mentioned the part that involved the sawzall, didn't I? No? Really? Are you sure? I could swear that I mentioned that part. Seriously. I wouldn't lie to you about this.

Yes, my laugh is an evil one.

Unread 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #1572
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Now...just put the sawzall down...and walk slowly away from the tool...no..no...don't look directly into it's eyes!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #1573
Mitchell420tj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03
Now...just put the sawzall down...and walk slowly away from the tool...no..no...don't look directly into it's eyes!
Lol
Mitchell420tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #1574
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

Are you sure you want them now? Are you absolutely positive? You don't want to wait until we break out the sawzall? I was going to wait until the cutting began and then give everyone some teaser shots, but I guess I could just skip that part and go take a few mundane pictures of her in the driveway...

I mentioned the part that involved the sawzall, didn't I? No? Really? Are you sure? I could swear that I mentioned that part. Seriously. I wouldn't lie to you about this.

Yes, my laugh is an evil one.
You sir, have a standing invitation on my train ride to hell.

BYOB

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #1575
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
You sir, have a standing invitation on my train ride to hell.
Which is, presumably, standing room only?

spoken sotto voce "I agree with you though... if it weren't so hot, I'd suggest 30 lashes in the town square"..
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.