The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 100 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-25-2012, 08:46 PM   #1486
unholycowgod
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie

well.... it's smittybilt..... but..... http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/79.htm

i know it doesn't solve your tire problem.... but it's multipurpose. i've been debating it (if i can get past the fact that it's smittybilt and that AWFUL F***ING NAME)

relevant: Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE
Seems like it's adding a ton of weight to an already overloaded part of the jeep. Just think of the spacers you'd need to install to level out with that much steel hanging off the backend. I like the concept and was intrigued at first. Now if it replaced the tailgate somehow and was a full height back plate that everything could mount to...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gas-overflow-fix-hose-problem-gm-hose-1419753/"]05-06 TJ/LJ gas puking problem fixed![/URL]
unholycowgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #1487
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholycowgod View Post
Seems like it's adding a ton of weight to an already overloaded part of the jeep. Just think of the spacers you'd need to install to level out with that much steel hanging off the backend. I like the concept and was intrigued at first. Now if it replaced the tailgate somehow and was a full height back plate that everything could mount to...
now you're thinking with portals......

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #1488
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quadretec had at onetime a tire carrier that mounted on the receiver hitch. You could take it to camp and ditch it for off roading.

Can't find it on the site anymore thou
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #1489
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have to question your motives for ditching the spare tire on the back?

Now granted it is weight, however I somewhat feel it nessisary. As balast as much as in case you need it.
My little jeep is an SE so it has a 4 cyl, and a lighter front axle (D30) However at speed it still feels very nose heavy on light whoops and bumps. This is WITH my rampage rear bumper and my full size spare. (hardtop helps)

You have a slightly heavier D44 front axle, and the boat anchor*because of its weight* 4.0L PLUS you have the rampage front bumper and you have expressed the want for a winch.

I personally like a balanced vehicle as best as possible, However I also know a lot of people that never use their spare, so I can see that side of the coin. I have owned my jeep for 3 years and have used the spare 2 times though, so I know I will be keeping mine.

NOW the skinny spare subject. If your wanting to run a skinny spare obviously its a temporary fix to get you where you need to go. With that in mind its not going to make your diff EXPLODE IN A FIREY DEATH, to run a slightly smaller spare short term. If you run 35s you could use a 255x75x16 as a spare that is a bit taller than a 34 and not quite a 35.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #1490
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also, tires in general....
Years ago when I drove and wheeled fullsize trucks and SUV's I found I would get far less flats going with 16's rather than 15's.
example: a 35x12.50x15 is usually only about 4 ply tread and 2 ply sidewall
a 315x75x16 is damn near the exact same size but is usually 8 and 6 ply respectively. However this comes with a cost of higher unsprung weight per tire. So far harder to poke a hole in it but it weighs more.

So now we are talking about smaller lighter jeeps, so the weight is now a concern. There is also the consiteration of how stiff the tire is but you have already covered the air pressure situation so I wont go into that.

My point is this. Before ditching your spare be sure to consiter how many plys your tires have. If you have high ply/high load rated tires your far safer running without a spare tire. But if you are like me and running a lighter constructed tire with less load capasity and less plys, then not having the spare is more of a concern.

I would also like to touch on the tire plugs as a replament for a spare. sure this can get you by sometimes, maybe even most times. But it wont do you any good in several situations that are not uncommon. Blow outs happen most often on the highway. throw on a spare or call AAA? Sidewall gets gashed open, hope your trail partners have a spare? Tread separates causing a bubble in your tread, might not go flat or even be a problem on the trail, but it could blow out on the way home, or cause you to drive 10mph to the nearest service station once your back on blacktop. OR a wheel/rim problem, you know you slide off tht rock ledge and smash your wheel up.

Maybe I have worse luck than most people but in my life I have had all these situations happen to me. I have always had a spare though to they never amounted to a huge deal other than a blowout that caused other damage.

Its still a matter of personal choice though. but there are a lot of things to think about first.

Sorry about the long winded posts.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #1491
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balzer View Post
I have to question your motives for ditching the spare tire on the back?
I'm not "ditching" the concept...I'm just questioning whether or not some different configurations might be beneficial. I'm sold on body-mounted carriers, either way.

Quote:
Now granted it is weight, however I somewhat feel it nessisary.
Less weight is always better, but if you can't get rid of weight then you put it where it works best. Where that might be is up for debate, though.

Quote:
I personally like a balanced vehicle as best as possible, However I also know a lot of people that never use their spare, so I can see that side of the coin. I have owned my jeep for 3 years and have used the spare 2 times though, so I know I will be keeping mine.
It's truly a toss-up. I'm far more likely to unseat a bead or get a nail hole than I am to tear out a sidewall or shoulder...and in those instances I have little need for a spare. An unseated bead can be fixed with a ratchet strap, a valve core tool and some air...or a can of starting fluid. A nail hole is reparable with decent tire-patching skills. Sidewall tears are much harder, and you actually need to be able to stitch them back together in order to effect a functional get-you-to-a-tire-shop repair...so for that reason a spare is a great thing to have. Either way, a good tire repair kit - HEY! ANOTHER WRITE UP IDEA!!! - and on-board air are necessities in a Wasteland-prepped TJ.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #1492
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yikes! I hope the spelling/grammar storm troopers dont see those posts. Sorry bout that as well.
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #1493
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can always carry a tube. LOL

Takes up little space, but it will take time and gonads to get it in. :-)
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #1494
balzer
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
You can always carry a tube. LOL

Takes up little space, but it will take time and gonads to get it in. :-)
Still doesnt help the blow out, bubble in the tread or mangled wheel situations though. and you would have to be able to sew a torn sidewall with wire or something.
Unread 06-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #1495
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Instead of the spare tire, I got an old CJ 5 tire carrier and converted it over to carry a spare gas can and water can. I've had to use both of these many times as apposed to the spare.

Unread 06-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #1496
misterpookie

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yikes! I hope the spelling/grammar storm troopers dont see those posts. Sorry bout that as well.
we're always off duty on jeep forum.

otherwise it'd all be overtime.

CRAWLEY'S STORY <3 (sort of a build thread)
FOR SALE: SOFT TOP WITH FRAME FROM A 99
misterpookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:00 AM   #1497
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunHo198 View Post
Instead of the spare tire, I got an old CJ 5 tire carrier and converted it over to carry a spare gas can and water can.
Well, folks...that's been what's going through my mind for the last few days. Convert the rear to carry...well, whatever I want to carry. I had considered twin 5-gallon cans and some emergency gear, primarily, and that picture is a lovely example of some of my sketches.

The main reason I considered this arrangement is because I can put the spare into the back of the Jeep a lot easier than I can put water or gas in there, and if I want to run without a spare for any reason I can easily maintain my liquid storage. The weight difference is unimportant in this instance...it's all about whether or not you want flammables inboard or outboard of the tailgate.

Well done, sir...well done.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:10 AM   #1498
driggity
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you run 35s you could use a 255x75x16 as a spare that is a bit taller than a 34 and not quite a 35.
I agree with most of what you posted but I think you've got a typo here. First, off I'm not sure that 255/75 16s exist and if they do they would be a 31" tire not a 34 to 35.
driggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #1499
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ive mentioned the skinny spare I was going to try and stick behind my gas cans. But the tire size and rim matchup was an issue. My carrier could be brought out just enough to mount large ammo cans, or an aluminum custom box for storage...
This would give me more room on the inside of my Jeep for Cheeto's and Cell phone accessories...

Also there is the possibility of making it a 4 can carrier, and instead of the inside 2 can being gas they could be storage.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/14072_0002_07.htm

But again, still gotta watch our weight. Can't turn Greta into a Bertha....
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #1500
GunHo198
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought.

I mounted mine by popping the hinge pins loose, and inserting bolts.
I also mounted reverse lights under the spare gas cans. I plan on rebuilding it sometime soon.

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.