The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Wasteland Survival Guide: Engineering Greta

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #136
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
Regarding color.. pink or black leather...
Either works as well as the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang_x View Post
I see we both work for the same corporation.
Ironically enough, the health benefits are amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
My vote's for the white one
How did I know that was coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
If you want an LJ hold out for a 2004 model so you get the good NV3550 trans. I have the NV3550 in my 2003 and its awesome. Heard nothing but negative comments on the 6 speed in the 05-06 years.
I've heard...mixed reviews. The NSG370 is supposed to be a great transmission, but I do have a fondness for the ice cream freezer full of rocks that seems to comprise the NV3550. I'd forgotten that the '04 still had a 5-speed, so thanks for that reminder. I drove an auto today, however, and it really wasn't that bad. It was on 35's and the guy told me that it had the stock 3.73's still in it, but it sure didn't seem that way from how hard it pulled off the line.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #137
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ahh, come on! The 3550 just has character, that's all! Between the mile long throw, and the rock tumbler, you could close your eyes and pretend your driving a big rig down the Interstate. (disclaimer: don't drive with your eyes closed!)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #138
1997YoungJeeper
1997 TJ Wrangler 

cool build!
1997YoungJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #139
Tobit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
but I do have a fondness for the ice cream freezer full of rocks that seems to comprise the NV3550. I'd forgotten that the '04 still had a 5-speed...
I'm a newb learning how to crawl on 3.07's and an NV3550.. I am doing quite well and many of the local old timers are praising me for learning how to drive this combination well before upgrading.

Based on a lot I've been researching, I don't really feel there is much wrong with the NV3550. I'm still a newb but unless you are doing a lot of frequent highway driving, is the 6-speed really that important? Please correct me if I am wrong as I am still learning most of this.
Tobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #140
cycleguy04

Regarding the 3.73's:

The Jeep will pull off the line hard, but as soon as you apply any extra load, ie, steep grade, extra weight, it will lug down like it's nobodies business.

I hate my 3.73's with a passion.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #141
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
Regarding the 3.73's:

The Jeep will pull off the line hard, but as soon as you apply any extra load, ie, steep grade, extra weight, it will lug down like it's nobodies business.

I hate my 3.73's with a passion.
That was my assessment as well at the time...but I just couldn't get over the fact that so many knowledgeable people have said they'd go straight to 5.13's - if not more - with their automatics. The torque converter has to be helping out immensely while coming out of stall into acceleration...so much so that the lack of gearing is completely overcome by the torque multiplication. I did notice that it didn't have a lot of punch when flooring it while driving. But I'm not going to totally discount the auto, nonetheless.

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #142
Jbecker
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm rather certain that the 04 LJs were available with autos only. I may be wrong though. I haven't seen a manual transmission 04 LJ for sale anywhere. See the first line of this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...aking-1154302/

The 04s do have the old style OPDA going for them, though. You won't have to worry much about a monkey laughing under your hood with an 04. Not sure the same can be said for an 05-06.
Jbecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #143
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbecker View Post
I'm rather certain that the 04 LJs were available with autos only. I may be wrong though. I haven't seen a manual transmission 04 LJ for sale anywhere. See the first line of this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...aking-1154302/

The 04s do have the old style OPDA going for them, though. You won't have to worry much about a monkey laughing under your hood with an 04. Not sure the same can be said for an 05-06.
I just did some looking-into the matter. You are correct...the '04 LJ was only offered with an automatic.

I'm also happier with the '04 OPDA...I do NOT want to deal with the latter-styled unit, if possible.

You learn something new every day.

More build pictures soon...I promise. I'm working on the TJ Toolkit Essay.

Unread 03-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #144
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Surviving the Wasteland: The TJ Toolkit...An Abstract

Introduction

Discussions centering around the necessary tools to carry in your Jeep are reasonably commonplace. They're not an everyday occurrence but they happen often enough to prompt the question of "Why am I going to waste everyone's time by covering this yet again?" Well, here's the answer: because I have not yet seen someone make a comprehensive examination of exactly what tools are actually needed. I tend to see endlessly long lists that generate 100-lb. tool sets; often, it seems that the list of which tools people leave out is shorter than what they take with them. I, myself, am guilty of this...I tend to have a toolbag that's absolutely stuffed with an endless variety of wrenches, ratchets, sockets and specialty items. Most of this stuff never gets used...in fact, the most use it sees is getting taken out to have dielectric grease cleaned off it it when a tube of the stuff ruptures inside the bag somewhere.

The idea for this came to me when I was doing exactly that: cleaning off dielectric grease. It came because Annabelle wondered, aloud, if I really even needed dielectric grease in the toolbag in the first place. It was kind of like a lightbulb suddenly flickered on in my head: I realized that during my entire suspension, body lift and motor mount lift installation, I essentially used a collection of about eight separate fastener sizes. Eight. That's including lugnuts, body mount bolts, upper bumpstop cup retainer bolts...you get the idea. All kinds of random locations seemed to have similar fasteners. I can't tell you how many times I used 13mm, 15mm and 18mm wrenches. 90% of the time, I had some sort of tool in that size in my hand. Know what I didn't use? The f****** dielectric grease.

I came to the following conclusion: It stands to reason that with a little planning and foresight a comprehensive, compact and lightweight tool kit capable of handling nearly any repair - minor, moderate or major - can be assembled by the average Jeep owner for comparatively little expense. With that in mind, I started making a list of what I'd used thus far, and it was - as expected - short. Lists, however, can be kind of boring...so, since people love pictures of things I'm going to do my best to include some good ones and make this into a photo essay. It's more interesting, engaging and informative to show people a picture of, say, a finger ratchet than it is to simply tell them they need one and let them figure out what it is, what it looks like and how it's used.

I expect to break up this essay into several parts: Absolute Essentials, Jeep-Specifics, and Wonderfully Useful Extras. I also expect to be editing and updating this list over time by way of experience and - pay attention, here, because this is the part where anyone reading the thread becomes important - through the suggestions and input of others. Contrary to popular belief and widespread rumor - I am not the most knowledgeable and wise creature on the planet, but since my overarching life goal is to live up to that rumor (also, to have my own private war elephant) I would much appreciate the contributions of other people. So, feel free to post commentary in the thread or to PM me your suggestions, and you may find them included in the essay!

Stay tuned for Part Two..The Absolute Essentials.

Unread 03-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #145
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Today's Jeeping: not much was done to Greta today except the addition of a few more highway miles...although this was valuable in that I can feel a difference in the suspension, which is settling in, finally. I can feel a difference in the way the bumps and ruts are transferred through to the body.

Also, I took a look at the red LJ for Annabelle...and lemme tell ya, this thing was clean. The only issue I saw that was mildly troublesome was that it had been undercoated, but even the undercoating was spotless. I'm not even worried about it, except that it'll make removing fasteners a pain in the a**.

Unread 03-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #146
cycleguy04

The fact that the PO cared enough about the Jeep to get it undercoated is reassuring. He/she probably babied it.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #147
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Red? Automatic? Hmmm! (enter Marge Simpson's grumble of disapproval sound)!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #148
Tobit
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Red? Automatic? Hmmm! (enter Marge Simpson's grumble of disapproval sound)!
Agree completely.
Tobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #149
Robob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just came across this build... Awesome!! Fallout FTW!!
Also, sweet build thus far. Im planning on 35's and was wondering if the 2.5OME springs would cut it or not.... but now I know. Keep up the great work
1982 Vespa sport 100- 135cc malossi kit, Leo vince exhaust
Robob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #150
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna read about this lightweight tool kit

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annabelle , bewbs , chic-fil-a , custom , d&d , fallout , firefly , girly things , guns , half cab , hard tonneau , needs to go wheeling , overbuilt , photography , pin-up , sammiches , starwars , survival , wasteland

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.