"Wasn't Me" - my 2000 TJ weekend warrior - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Wasn't Me" - my 2000 TJ weekend warrior

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #61
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a total of 5 but I used 4 on the frame generously and one on the inside of the windshield frame and those real tight spots under the tub I couldn't get cs to. Look for coupons in 4x4 mags or online. You can save almost 5 bucks a can. I'll try to find what mag I saw it in or call and ask if there's and discounts. It's awesome stuff.

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #62
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sweet thanks. i saw online theyare about $15 a can. i get petersens 4x4 but my buddy gets 3 or 4 offroad mags everymonth. i'll look through those too.
BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #63
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sweetness, just picked up a set of used OME shocks for the heep to replace my whoooooped a$$ rough countrys that have been on it

high 45 today in upstate ny with chance of snow showers and 17mph winds. with only 1 hr long class at school i decided to save some fuel and take the bike. gunna suit up in my snowpants, hoody, coat, hood and ski gloves and head to the shop to continue cleaning out the pumpkins. happy friday all!!!
shocks.jpg  
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #64
dipstickinva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Be safe on the bike. I was up there in February with mine and was riding around when it was 30 out. People were looking at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was. But I was having a blast....
dipstickinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #65
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

alrighty folks back to hitting the jeep hard again. damn spring and summer for all the housework, lawnmowing, hay baling, and parties that come with it. what a distraction.

few changes to the game plan. massachusetts slow rolled tub was determined to be more hassle than payoff so i found a nice unmolested, no rust no dents yellow tub in pa at a jeep graveyard and traded up tubs plus a little cash. since we have been hitting any small surface rust spots with grinder and some chassis saver and are preping the interior for monstaliner which we will be spraying tomorrow. WOO HOO!

will also be spraying the bottom of the tub with rubberized undercoating. the good stuff too and not that cheap a$$ crap you get from local advanced auto or napa.

d30 has been regeared and will be hitting the d44 this weekend between more grad parties.

pics to come soon
Unread 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #66
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

took our trip down to pa in the hummin cummins and picked up a close to mint yellow tub... if anybody else needs parts check out Rays Mower Shop & Salvage, the place is a lawnmower/snowblower/jeep wrangler graveyard. he picks up jeeps and parts them out they have an ebay store as well.hes got a ton of tubs laying around and all kinds of other parts

Rays Mower Shop & Salvage
1436 West Philadelphia Avenue Boyertown, PA 19512‎
(610) 367-2078

spent about a week, week and 1/2 getting the tub ready once we got it home. removed anyparts or pieces i didnt want to be sprayed over(tub was already pretty well stripped when we picked it up.) drilled out a couple of sheared bolts, wiped the tub down with a wash cloth and warm soapy water, sanded down any surface rust, hit it with alluminum chassis saver, used air compressor to blow dust/dirt off several times, wiped with prep-all, taped and masked off any areas that i didnt want covered and used foam earplugs to plug all the bolt holes.

just had to wipe the tub down with Prep-All and then MEK one final time before i mixed up the monsta and sprayed her down.

everyone complains about the smell of mek and boy are they RIGHT! it smells like pvc glue but 10x more potent. i used a respirator and chemistry goggles the whole time i had mek out and while i sprayed my tub
jake-haulin.jpg   pre-monsta.jpg   img_0317.jpg   img_0319.jpg   img_0320.jpg  

img_0321.jpg   img_0322.jpg   monsta-earplugs.jpg  
Unread 07-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #67
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

now i sprayed my tub with black monstaliner and i really am impressed with the way it came out. because my jeep turned into a frame off resto and i switched tubs if was smarter and easier to just go ahead and spray my liner on. spraying is easy if you have the time and patience to mask and tape everything off and if you have a decent air compressor. if you dont have a compressor and still want to spray just go rent one from home depot or your local tool rental outfit and have fun!FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS and PREP! PREP! PREP! i dont care what kind of paint, liner, or material you try to lay via roller or spray gun, if its not clean, free of grease and wax, and doesnt have a rough or scuff surface your wasting your time. i never let my psi drop below 80 on our compressor while spraying. the cheapo shutz gun i bought didnt have a regulator so i would lay down as much as i could and keep an eye on the regulaotr on the compressor. if it dipped below 80 i would stop spraying til the pressure built back up. super easy, use light coats and just roll your wrist left to right spraying in short 1-2 second bursts. i reduced the monsta with 4oz if mek like the directions told me and sprayed my first coat in about 10mins, waited an hour, sprayed my second coat for about another 10mins, waited 45mins, and then just used the remaining monsta on the high wear areas like floor pans, step channels, and rear bed of my tub.
monsta-1.jpg   monsta-2.jpg   monsta-3.jpg   monsta-4.jpg   monsta-5.jpg  

monsta-6.jpg   monsta-7.jpg   monsta-9.jpg   monsta-10.jpg   img_0325.jpg  

Unread 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #68
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

a few more pics in between coats
img_0326.jpg   img_0329.jpg   img_0330.jpg   img_0331.jpg   img_0337.jpg  

Unread 08-14-2012, 07:01 AM   #69
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

after i finished sprying my monsta i stuffed my paint bowl with the leftovers in the fridge just in case i could use it. a week later i took it out and peeled the rubbery monsta out of the bowl and set it outside to finish curing. after 3 days outside i picked it up and cracked it open to find some pastey monsta that still hadn't cured. i grabbed a brush and started touching up little spots where i missed or where i could'nt get the gun into like around the roll bar, under the lip of the door jam, and it worked great. pretty cool i was able to use this stuff almost 10 days later to fix my mistakes. heres a few pics of the leftover before i started to touch stuff up
img_0269.jpg   img_0270.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #70
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

my friend yurk wanted to 2 tone his truck with bedliner to hide some of the rust and prevent any more cancer from popping up. spent from 4pm-7pm prepping, went home to eat dinner, came back at 8:30pm and masked off the no go areas, slapped some silver-alluminum chassis saver on rusty spots and sprayed til 3am. here are the pics

01 duramax 2500 HD with black monstaliner 2 tone. sprayed on between 60-100psi
img_0271.jpg   img_0272.jpg   img_0273.jpg   img_0274.jpg   img_0275.jpg  

img_0276.jpg   img_0277.jpg   img_0278.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #71
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

had a little left over from yurks truck, and with liner thickening up fast it was a rush job to prep-all the bottom of the tub and wipe the dust off. it certainly shouldnt hurt it to have a coat of monsta under there. also did my rocker guards. ;-)
img_0279.jpg   img_0280.jpg   img_0281.jpg   img_0282.jpg   img_0283.jpg  

img_0284.jpg   img_0288.jpg  
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #72
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

meeting the insurance lady at the garage in a couple hours to inspect the hail damage the hood and fenders got 2 weeks ago. not planning on fixing the damage, hood because i'm just gunna spray monsta over it and it should hide the hail spots pretty well. as far as the fenders go, just got my set of MCE flat fenders with 3.5" flare so the damage areas will be getting cut off anyways, hopefully i can get a check cut, deposited, and be spending it by the end of the week so we can get this thing put back together pronto. still need a tie rod end, rear driveshaft, some weldable jj's, a whole slew of nutz and bolts, and who knows what else will pop up when we start reassembly.
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #73
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i need to take pics of the hail damage before and what it looks like after its repaired because i am "repairing" it myself. when i'm done i send them to insurane company and all is suppose to be good. excuse the ****ty cell pics but its all i had with me.
hail-damage.jpg   hail-damage-2.jpg   hail-damage-3.jpg   hail-damage-4.jpg  
Unread 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #74
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

installing MCE Flat fenders with 3.5" flare. i cut ther fenders and wanted to get everything mocked up before i shoot it with monsta. found out i can only do so much until the front clip is attached to the tub again, other wise the fenders are'nt aligned perfect and the drilled holes wont meet the fenders correctly. heres a few pics of mock up. the fenders will be getting monstalined yellow too

*** oh yeah, i hacked my fenders off with a chicago-pacific pnuematic reciprocating saw tool with 32:1 tooth blade. MAN! its the best little tool ive ever used and cant cut a straight line with the cut-off wheel to save my life. this thing was great though. Its under the fender in the first pic. also i think the easiest way to cut the fenders is to draw your line with a regular sharpe marker, cut along the line but leave some black line showing. then after the fender is off, go back to the black line with a sander or grinder and sand the edge til you can't see the black line anymore.
fenders-cut-2.jpg   fenders-cut.jpg   mce-fender.jpg   mce-fender-3.jpg   mce-fender-4.jpg  

Unread 08-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #75
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

instead of being boring and getting the jk or round style blinker lights in the grill, i decided to be cheap... or creative, resourceful, whatever you wanna call it and reuse my blinker lights. i've seen thios done on someones build thread or on the MCE page and need to find them and ask them a few questions, but i used the fender empty fender flare and traced a template for the light onto cardboard. cut it out. measure 2" from outside edge of metal and drew a diagonal line with a straight edge. then i measure 4 inches straight down from the screw-tab that holds the headlight bezel on. marked the line and used a level to draw a horizontal line across. i then used the 2 guide line i drew to line up with the lines and shape of the template. i traced the template onto the grill. then drilled a hole at the start and stop of every straight line of the template outline. (the corners i left alone til the end. i used the cp saw to cut the straight edges first. all four straight lines were cut and the corners were holding the template in place. i then carefully and slowly cut the corners out one at a time, sometimes leaving extra metal there which i would sand or grind down later with other tools. its important to cut the bare minimum so you dont have a gaping hole that the light wiggles around in. you want a tight hold (haha thats what she said!) fit the light in the hole and find out where it rubs or doesnt. make finishing touches based off that. lastly i used a 1/4" drill bit to drill a hole for the molded plastic bolt that is part of the light, that secures it to the grill. this may be confusing but i can try and clear some stuff up if you ask. The only thing i have left to do is figure out what i want to use as grommet around the light, and to redirect the light bulb and wires between the radiator and grill so it pops into the back of the amber light.

oh yeah, we've killed quite a few soldiers in the last week. time to dump the bottles. their is a pic of the d44 getting regeared, the d30 all painted up, the d44 almost done, the windshield switched over to the new tub along with some firewall stuff!
signal-1.jpg   signal-2.jpg   drawn-drilled-signal.jpg   signal-5.jpg   signal-6.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.