"Wasn't Me" - my 2000 TJ weekend warrior - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > "Wasn't Me" - my 2000 TJ weekend warrior

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #31
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yes G Beasley, it is turning into quite the project but i refuse to just part it out like i see so many others doing when their jeeps get bad. not my style. as for the welding part i have 2 great guys who are experienced welders and teaching me little by little. one welds MRI machines for phillips and the other is a custom fabricator thats builds spray foam trailers for constractors. i also have a laid off bmw/gmc tech at my disposal and a few other guys that just love to wrench.

Ryanv- i dont know where to start as far as time and $ goes but i'll try to inform you best i can...

project was suppose to be to repair floorpans with replacements, fab sheet metal for body mount rot holes in floor, monstaline interior, cut out and patch frame rot. i purchased gears figuring while my jeep was down i'd put those in and a SYE with cv shaft. figured it would take 3-4 weeks. we started during my spring break from school, second week of march.

progress was slow at the start, and the further along we got we noticed my rear section of frame was worse than we thought. cracks along the bottom of frame. from side hole to side hole, right where it begins to wrap around the axles. this was probably caused by wheeling it with the rust weakened frame. i was looking into getting the safe-t-cap pieces from autorust, like $370 for the pair, but i decided to look around online. i also piked up some temp work as ab order picker in the cooler warehouse, 3rd shift 40 hrs, while going to school full time, which really cut into my garage time and sleep but i knew the money would be needed for project rotbox later on...

found an ad on craiglists, a junkyard in mass had a yellow jeep tub with "a few dents but in good shape" and a rear section of a frame where trans skid ends to rear bumper) that was left over from a low speed front end collision. frame was an 04 that had less than 20kmis on it. so i said f**k it and off to massachusetts we went to get this stuff. when we got there we found a ton of jeeps and other really nice vehicles but the place was a mudpit and rather disorganized (worse than most junkyards anyways) the tub had been in a low speed rollover onto its side and the frame had to have a body taken off it. just about every torx stripped and the owner was dead set on keeping the tailgate off the yellow tub which put us back an extra hour drilling out the bolts. i got the tub for $250 and frame for $300, which was still to high IMO but i already sunk $120 of diesel fuel into the truck and decided i wasnt going home empty handed.

on our way home we get the call that dave's (my welder buddy who owns garage my jeep is in) brother matt was in a really bad motorcycle accident and was being airlifted to albany med. skinny pedal down most of the way back to new york!!! 5 miles from NY border i get pulled over by a mass statey. i tried explaining to him what happened to matt, that i was in a truck with no cruise control, and that there were cars passing me down the hill where he said i was speeding, but he did not care and gave me a ticket for 82 in a 65. first speeding ticket in my 5 years of driving $170 bucks. i knew i shoulda tried to get the tub and frame cheaper!

matt had hit a car head on when his bike slid out on a sandy corner. he broke both his legs, his arm, dislodged his pelvis almost 6 inches to the right, his helmet was ripped off his head, he had brain swelling, they removed part of his spleen, his gall bladder was mush, one of his liver vessels that connected to his liver had collapsed, he had bad road rash, and lost a ton of blood. he was in ICU in really bad shape for a week and half and they released him to another section of the hospital. he started talking again about a week ago. all his surgeries are done and he started light PT yesterday. He is healing fast and they expect him to make close to if not a full but slow recovery.

So this obviously slowed work on the jeep down quite a bit, we are getting back into it now.

pics:

we had to use the skid steer as a wedge to winch the jeep around a cavalier and onto to the trailer. the skid steer was buried half way up the wheels in mud.

dropped the fuel tank, and started to take the transfer case off in the next to picks. gettin it down to bare bones

picked up a new cherry picker from auction so dave said why not get the motor/trans out so we can get at teh whole frame

mass-junkyard.jpg   mass-junkyard2.jpg   bare-bones.jpg   bare-bones-2.jpg   motor-out.jpg  

BAMFpullin719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

in case you havnt guessed yet, our plans are to remove everything from the rear half of the frame, cut the frame in half, weld the 04 "like new" rear section to the front of my 00 (the front is excellent shape with little surface rust, inside and out). we will throw it on the frame straightener at daves old body shop to make sure everything lines up. i will then sand down/wirebrush/sandblast the entire frame and chassis save/paint/underline it so i will never have to deal with this again. we are going to drill out all the spot welds on the floor of both tubs, take the floor from the mass jeep and weld it up under my tub(my tub has very little damage where the mass one had dents and tweaked panels everywhere). any rust on the exterior of my jeep will be cut out and replaced (oh yeah, forgot to mention dave used to be a body tech before he became full time welder) and then we will monstaline/paint anything that needs it. after the "fun" stuff is outta the way we will attack the regear, SYE, and anyother issues.

costs

monstaliner $130 came with free qt of chassis saver
shutz gun $20
floor pans $111 (i returned after buying tub)
SYE $211
CV DS $235
4.88 gears $560
all fluids change $100
tub $250
frame $300
speeding ticket $170
any hardware $free (sponsors;-P)
Currie Upper rear adj CA's $230-$240? cant remember
weldable JJs for worn out rustys lowers $100

thinks thats it so far, who knows what else. i have a spreadsheet on my laptop with all ive spent, where i got it from, and what i need to do.
Unread 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #33
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

some more pics of the frame stripped down. only thing holding the rear axle on now is control arms.

dave thought he needed some pics of me doing work

****ty picture of the replacement frame section
barebones.jpg   barebones1.jpg   barebones2.jpg   do-work.jpg   not-doin-work.jpg  

frame.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #34
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hammering forward with the heep

throwing stock tires on frame so expensive ones dont take on any damage from torches, welder, grinder all that fun stuff

jeeps got some rake with 35s on rear

stockers all around

rear axle pulled

frame with front axle

better pics of the replacement frame piece
tires-stock-vs-35.jpg   frame-raked.jpg   frame-stockers.jpg   rear-axle-out.jpg   frame-front-axle-only.jpg  

frame-piece-1.jpg   frame-piece.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #35
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

heres the rot. the side drain holes right at the bend over the axles has cracks around the bottom. behind the skid plate has rot holes through it. the rear where the bumper meets up is destroyed. happy happy joy joy

protect your frame northerners!!!
frame-rot.jpg   frame-rot1.jpg   frame-rot2.jpg   frame-rot3.jpg   frame-rot4.jpg  

frame-rot5.jpg   frame-rot6.jpg   frame-rot7.jpg   frame-rot8.jpg   rear-frame-rot.jpg  

Unread 04-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #36
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

got the frame to the other shop so we could use the big welders and what not. looking at the new section of frame, we decided to go 7 inches from middle bodymount to cut out a spot where new frame peice was dented. we measured and cleaned the frame spots. marked 7 inches, speed squared it off and started cuttin
sowles-dave-grinding.jpg   sowles-jake-grindin1.jpg   sowles-measure-7in.jpg   sowles-jake-grinding.jpg   sowles-squaring.jpg  

sowles-dave-cuttin.jpg   sowles-dave-cuttin1.jpg   sowles-frame-cut.jpg   sowles-frame-cut1.jpg   sowles-frame-cut2.jpg  

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Inside my frame rails after the cuts

marking up and cutting the new frame piece

our homemade jig to hold pieces together for tacking

measured between body mounts and rear corner to crisscrossing body mounts to try and keep things squared up

and tacking the frame
sowles-frame-inside.jpg   sowles-frame-inside1.jpg   sowles-frame-piece.jpg   sowles-piece-cutting.jpg   sowles-removing-lines.jpg  

sowles-jig1.jpg   sowles-frame-jig.jpg   sowles-measuring-body-mounts.jpg   sowles-frame-tacking.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

as you can see the non tacked side was off quite a bit, it need to go down and to the side to fit flush. i dont know if this was because my parts frame was in an accident or if the front axle was pulling the front half of axle down and inside. we measured the olf rotted section and lined the 2 sections up and they seemed to be the same so ? either way c-clamps to the rescue and we had a nice little jig that pulled the pieces together snug.

tacked the driver side and then started beading it up
sowles-jig.jpg   sowles-frame-going-together.jpg   sowles-frame-going-together1.jpg   sowles-frame-jig.jpg   sowles-frame-jig1.jpg  

sowles-frame-jig2.jpg   sowles-welding.jpg   sowles-welding1.jpg   sowles-welding2.jpg   sowles-welds.jpg  

Unread 04-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

frame all plated up and last pic is outta order but we ground the frame welds down to plate over. oh yeah think we ran the mig at 19.3 and 197 FYI
frame-plate.jpg   frame-plated.jpg   frame-plated1.jpg   frame-plates.jpg   frame-plates1.jpg  

sowles-cleaning-frame.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #40
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

got the frame back to the garage and spent sunday afternoon tearing out front axle and taking everything off the frame that was left. shes all ready to get sand blasted later this week.
frame-stripped.jpg   frame-stripped2.jpg   frame-stripped1.jpg   axles-out.jpg  
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #41
dipstickinva
2010 JK Wrangler 

your doing some good work... cant wait to see the out come...
dipstickinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #42
BAMFpullin719
2000 TJ Wrangler 

thank you dipstickinva... its good to hear it, and i have some great friends helping me out. i spend all day looking at other people driving their jeeps around and i cant waitto get mine back. 86 degrees in upstate ny today, everybody had their doors off
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #43
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Damnnnnn nice job!!! Takes some hard work and dedication to pull that off. Cheers
MallCrawling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #44
dipstickinva
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hay BAM maybe next time im up that way in july we can meet up or something. my parents live in Frankfort.
dipstickinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #45
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Nice metal work , the fishplate looks stout .

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.