w0mps WJ Build Thread - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > w0mps WJ Build Thread

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #106
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Alright, the rack build was successful. So I originally wanted a mountaineer rack from Olympic 4x4 Products to retro-fit into my WJ. Unfortunately, the rack has been back ordered and no one including O4x4 was giving me an answer when they will be available again. I have a camping trip coming up and my cargo area was full and I was running out of time.

Here's what I had in the cargo area to give you an idea:

I went to Harbor Freight and picked up an ATV hitch mounted cargo rack. This rack came in 3 sections, a left side, a right side and the receiver tube that bears the load of the rack and plugs into your 2" receiver. You're supposed to sandwich each side to the 2" square tube and bolt it together. I tossed the 2" tube and used some 3/8"x1" nuts and bolts and simply bolted the two sides together. Here's the rack to give you a visual:

I don't have any pictures of the supports I made, they are pretty much just 3/4" square tubing and rest on the plastics on each side. The rack weighs about 30 pounds and my gear up top is roughly 100-120 lbs between the 3 action packers. I have a little bit of bowing of the plastic, but once it bows itself straight (the panels on each side are beveled a little, if that makes any sense) they are plenty strong for support. You can hardly tell the plastics are bowed unless you point it out or someones looking really hard for a flaw. It doesn't bother me and I'm an OCD freak. Like I said, the panels are more than enough support for probably 150 lbs. I put some tie downs on the under side of the rack, towards the middle and used the 4 cargo loops on the sidewalls of the compartment to hold it down. They are 1/4" turn buckles that extend to 7.5". Make sure you make all your measurements and dry fit everything before drilling all your holes and mounting your tie downs to the rack. You want all 4 turn buckles to point towards the MIDDLE of the rack for the tightest fit.

Here's some pictures of the finished product. I gained about half of my cargo space back, and everything is nice and strapped down on the rack. Also, the rack cost me $46 and I spent about another $50 on steel and hardware. I like my design much better than Olympic's, plus I didn't have to start drilling holes in my floor.

Unread 07-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #107
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

nice setup. a while back i was looking into getting the O4x4 rack for my dub. but i couldnt get it together enough to actually get it. i would like to do something like this with mine now. report back with the results after the trip thanks for the idea
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #108
pkess3

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
What bracket is this and where can I get it?
pkess3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #109
jeepinjeepin
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkess3

It's a radio bracket. I swear I've seen it in Quadratec, but I don't have a catalog to look in right now.
jeepinjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #110
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkess3

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17017_007.htm
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #111
w0mps
2002 WJ 

So my home made rack didn't end up working out. There was no structure under the plastic trim and it was starting to bow it on both sides. So back to square one. I finally was able to order Olympics Mountaineer Rack. Fitment was near perfect, but the mounting was the hard part. They supply you with four bolts that have threads on the inside. You're supposed to drill your holes, bolt in these threaded bolts and you're done. Being that this rack is made for an XJ, I ran into one big problem. All four holes I drilled ended up inside my frame rails and I had no way to get the nut on from the underside. I had to drop the bolts in place and weld them in place.

They supply you with some clamps and knobs so you can take the rack in and out very easily, but I decided on bolting the rack down in place after the fact. I had to get some spacers between the bottom of the clamp and the carpet so I had a nice tight hold to the floor. If I had to do it all over again, I would have just drilled four holes in each corner of the rack and bolted straight through the legs to the floor.

Here's some pictures of the install and final look.

Unread 11-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #112
platinum5.9
Web Wheeler

2003 WJ 

Absolutely love it!! Just what I want to do. Thank you for taking the plunge so we can see how it all fits.
03 Grand Cherokee Limited-White/Agate-4.7HO/QD-OME HD springs-1" spacers-MX6 shocks-OME SS-IRO rear links-255/75/17 BFG muds-JK Moabs-Muffler Delete-Magnaflow Cats x3-V3 Projectors 35w 5000k HID and High/Low harness w/relays-IRO Premium Sliders-SOLID D30 Cover-Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs/3/4" black shackles http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...1/#post9902192
--Enchanted Mountain Off-road Crew--Olean NY
enchantedmountainoffroad@gmail.com
platinum5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #113
jpat30

Awesome, I knew it would fit. I have been looking at that exact product for awhile now. Looks like you still have plenty of room to access your spare too. Very nice indeed sir.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #114
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Yep, spare goes in and out nice and easy.
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #115
wvracer821

2000 WJ 

alot of us have been eyeballing this idea. glad to see somebody take the plunge.
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #116
w0mps
2002 WJ 

I have been thinking where I can put my two recovery bags when the seats are folded down and I am filled with camping gear. I thought it would be a perfect fit for them behind the driver and passenger seats, however, in the WJ the lower section of seat folds forward and occupies that space. After a little JF browsing I found a couple threads for the WJ rear seat mod. Check it out -

I started by unbolting the brackets from the floor and then removed the brackets from the seat bottoms. In a vice, I carefully drilled out the mushroom side of the rivet pin with a 21/64" bit.

I tapped out the rivet pin and bored all 8 holes to 21/64":

I used 5/16"x2.75" wire lock pins for a means of quick disconnect when I want to utilize all the cargo room. Perfect spot for my recovery bags, and leaves the entire back of the Jeep open for gear!

Unread 01-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #117
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Here's the quick disconnects

Unread 01-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #118
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Got some time to mount my CB antenna and run the coax cable. Here's what I used:

FireStik Dodge Ram/Dakota Hood Mount Kit with FireFlex Coax Cable
FireStik Stainless Steel Heavy Duty Spring
FireStik Three Foot Tuneable "Firefly" Antenna

I really like how it all mounted up. I wish the metal above the tail light was thicker or had a little more rigidity to it. The mount flexes ever so slightly when there's leverage on the antenna. Not enough for it to loosen up or snap the bracket though. Here's the install pics:

I'm waiting for my Panavise Custom InDash Mount to ship and arrive and will be installing a Cobra 75WXST CB radio.
Unread 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #119
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Finished up my CB Install.

The Cobra 75WXST came with a remote mounted reciever box that was small enough to mount under the dashboard.

Here's some finished pictures of the CB and tablet. The mount for the CB was bought from a company called Panavice and could be mounted on either side of the radio. I did have to drill a hole in the bracket to accommodate the CB clip.

I can finally keep in touch on the trails!
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #120
Drek
2004 WJ 

That is one good looking WJ. I can't believe how clean it is.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. -Mark Twain
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.