w0mps WJ Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > w0mps WJ Build Thread

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #76
w0mps
2002 WJ 

I knew my alignment was way off going there. I just threw the steering on a couple days before and did a half *** tape measure alignment. The caster is surprisingly very low, but the Jeep drives fine, no bowed coil springs and most importantly no death wobble and bump steer.

At this point I don't even have to run a steering damper, but I bought the tenneco one already so I mind as well slap it on.

Unread 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #77
snobrdrkid07
2004 WJ 

I am also blown away at how you are running that low of caster, and not having any issues. Let along not even needing for a SS. I am running around 6.8* and have shimmies on some holes at fast highway speeds. I had been at around 9.5* of caster and it road solid, but obviously pinion angle suffered greatly.

I mean I would think with very low caster that it would drive like a pain in the butt with no return to center, tracking straight and stability. But obviously this seems to be an exception here. Still scratching my head.

Edit: It looks like you are running aftermarket bolts in your JKS track bar? What are they and what bushings are you running with your JKS bar? Did you ever have any issues with it?
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #78
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Yea, I was very surprised to hear 1.8 degrees at first too. These guys assured me they know the WJ's and how to align them and like I said, no issues. They're a very reputable shop too.

Put the steering damper on before and I haven't really noticed it yet. It was fine before that. Anyone who has death wobble problems I recommend to start by taking the damper off then going from there.

The track bar bolts are new grade 8's, pretty sure I used 3/8" but I'm not 100%. Was a couple years ago. Also running Kevin's hard bushings, helped my death wobble, but caster settings fixed it.
Unread 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #79
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Ordered up my RAM mounts for my Jeeputer yesterday. I'm going to have a Google Nexus 7 mounted to the right of the radio using the following mounts:

Although the Nexus doesn't have cellular capabilities, I'll be using my iPhone as a wireless hot spot. I decided to go with a tablet/mount instead of a GPS because I love Google Maps. Also, the Nexus has GPS capabilities built in so I can use this to track trails and off road trips. Besides, who wouldn't want a computer in their Jeep?
Unread 03-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #80
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Finished up the tablet setup today. Happy with how it come out, but would expect a better quality powder coat job from RAM mounts.

Unread 03-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #81
w0mps
2002 WJ 

So, I've been thinking about adding some sort of rack in the cargo area of the WJ. The Olympic 4x4 Mountaineer Rack (spec'd for an XJ) measures out perfectly to fit in the back, as well as hold all three action packers up top so I can strap them down. I am also planning on mounting my Hi Lift jack on the face of the rack, as if it was mounted to a roof rack. I'd want to keep the Hi Lift inside to prevent rusting it up and that seems like it will work out perfect. I'm just hoping the mounting legs of the rack will land where I don't have to drop the gas tank to bolt it down.

Unread 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #82
STORM_JK
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow alot of time put into this rig but my oh my does it ever loom good. Axles came out great! Definitely will be following this build
Unread 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #83
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Went and did some trail riding down in the Pine Barrens with my buddy. Yes, that is a stock F-150 with a leveling kit tucking 35" Nitto's.

Unread 04-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #84
w0mps
2002 WJ 

So I've been using the adapter that came with my Optima to hold the battery down. Although it does do it's job, the battery still had some play sitting in the tray, so I decided to beef up the mount with a few parts from Napa:

I basically used the J hooks, drilled a couple holes in the battery tray, and held it down with the black bar. Battery is solid as a rock now.

I also kept rubbing my driver side tire on my washer fluid bottle at full flex, so went ahead and removed it and fabbed up a new one under the hood. It's significantly smaller than the stock (maybe a 1/2 gallon reservoir), but does the job and is out of the way. Credit goes to 85IrocZ-28 for the idea, but I changed my design a little.

First I picked up a universal coolant tank from Napa (Part #730-4514), and prepped a spot under my hood to mount it. I liked the idea of keeping it far away from the motor and out of the way. You can see in this picture the spot I picked. You have to cut a stud out of the way so the tank sits flush with the fender, and remove the plastic tray the wires sit in for best fit.

Drilled a couple holes on the right side of the tank, about three inches apart, as low as I can go. I used a small drill bit to get my exact starting point and then used a step bit. Make sure not to go too big. You want the grommets/motors to have a nice tight fit to avoid leaking fluid.

Then I popped the motors in place on the tank, sat it in place and shot a couple self tapping screws into the inside fender lip. The tank comes with a couple mounting tabs on it.

I then shortened my hose lines to a nice length and installed them on the motors. Now, it was time for wiring. I pulled back the electrical tape and wire molding until I had all the wiring exposed. There will be your three washer fluid connectors, fog light wiring and grounds. I snipped my fog light wiring a long time ago. I put some new wire molding on all the wires, taped it up real nice and re-routed it back towards my motors. Threw a couple zip ties in place, and there ya go. No re-wiring or splicing necessary. I opted to just connect the two motors and not install the fluid low sensor.

Make sure to place a cap of some kind over the outlet on the bottom of the tank. This will not be used.
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #85
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Had a slight pulsation and squeal while driving, looked into it and decided it was time to do my brakes. The pads were still pretty meaty, but the rotors were toast on the inbound side. I did the front pads and rotors with Mopar replacements. Also painted the caliper and mounting bracket with some silver caliper paint to top it off.

Tomorrow I will be doing the same in the rear. Won't be touching the parking brake shoes being that the parking brake works fine and apparently it's nothing short of a nightmare to replace and readjust them.
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #86
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

Are you going to upgrade to Akebono calipers? It's so worth the extra $$
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #87
w0mps
2002 WJ 

If I have a problem in the future and need to replace the calipers I will. As of right now I'm not going to spend the extra money and upgrade because I've had no problems with these at all.
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #88
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Rear is finished. A mechanic buddy of mine had taught me a trick to bleeding brakes. If you're not using a power bleeder and just doing the pump-hold-pump deal, put a chunk of 2x4 wood under the break pedal. This prevents the master cylinder from maxing out when you're bleeding, which could possibly blow up your master. I've also got a much stiffer pedal now.

Unread 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #89
jpat30

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post

So, I've been thinking about adding some sort of rack in the cargo area of the WJ. The Olympic 4x4 Mountaineer Rack (spec'd for an XJ) measures out perfectly to fit in the back, as well as hold all three action packers up top so I can strap them down. I am also planning on mounting my Hi Lift jack on the face of the rack, as if it was mounted to a roof rack. I'd want to keep the Hi Lift inside to prevent rusting it up and that seems like it will work out perfect. I'm just hoping the mounting legs of the rack will land where I don't have to drop the gas tank to bolt it down.

Andrew,
Did you ever pursue this rack for your rig. I also looked into this one and measured it out as you did. But I think that it is a little overpriced though and I am not sure how rigid/studry it is.
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #90
w0mps
2002 WJ 

I haven't bought it yet, but still planning on getting it. It seems to measure out to fit perfectly in the WJ. I have them 3 action packers that I need to get off the floor and that base measures perfect to fit all 3 nice and snug. I'm sure it's sturdy enough to put whatever you need on it. Unless it's like a transmission or something.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.