w0mps WJ Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 223 Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 AM
platinum5.9
2003 WJ 

Found it..... did you go with the red or the smoked?

03 Grand/WJ-White 4.7HO/QD/242HD Clayton 6" LA,5100,Clayton skid,Custom Rockers,JK OME SS,17"Rock Monsters 33"Interco Irok ND,Muffler delete/MF cats,SOLID D30/BTF D44a,Fawkes,Projectors/HID
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 223 Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum5.9 View Post
Found it..... did you go with the red or the smoked?
I went with the red one.

- Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #168 of 223 Old 11-20-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Well, unfortunately the third brake light has been back ordered until the end of January. I did get the tail lights in and am awaiting the LED bulbs for the reverse and turn signal. Here's some pictures -

- Andrew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #169 of 223 Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

So after the LED install the only problem I really encountered was a hyper flash, which I didn't mind. I got the LED bulbs in on Saturday for the tail lights and popped them in. Well after buttoning everything back up, I went to test the blinkers and they didn't flash. They just stayed on solid. I guess when you get a hyper flash, it indicates that you have a bulb out. When it stays solid, it indicates no bulbs on that circuit were detected. So, I had to install a couple load resistors in the rear. A word of advice, never use the quick taps that are included with the resistors. They're unreliable and invite corrosion, ultimately causing all kinds of problems. Avoid those problems by cutting/soldering/heat shrinking your wiring.

I was weary of using the load resistors, mainly because I didn't want to cut into my main wiring harness. The tail lights I bought have their own wiring harness, then just plug into the stock wiring. This made it easier for me to pull the trigger on installing the resistors, not like I had much of a choice. I can now add a couple in the front and probably eliminate the hyper flash and be back to how it was with the incandescent bulbs. I'm still on the fence about it because that will require tapping into the main harness, not once for the 3157, but possibly twice for the smaller 194 bulbs (any input on this?). Also, remember to lube everything up (connectors, bulb bases) with dielectric grease to prevent any corrosion. Here's some pictures of the install -

I started out by de-soldering the stupid 4" leads the resistors came with to give myself a nice 12" tail.

Here's the final product -

So, I'm now wondering if I add another one of them resistors in series, back at the tail light, if it will add enough resistance in the circuit to bring my hyper flash back to normal. I'll leave that for another day...
AGR likes this.

- Andrew

post #170 of 223 Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Here's a close up shot of the LED in the new tail light housings. Anyone who says LED doesn't put out a brighter, cleaner light is a straight up liar, or blind.

- Andrew

post #171 of 223 Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Today I had some spare time to do a little exploring. There is a road off Route 9 South in Old Bridge, NJ - Jake Brown Road. There was a small group of homes that were abandoned for a number of years or decades. They were occupied by the families of people who worked at the nearby Nike Missile site. When the missile base closed down, the families moved and the houses were boarded up. Since then, the houses have been knocked down and there is just some old ruins of foundations, playgrounds and of course garbage. The old missile base has been gated off, so I couldn't get back there to check it out. Here's some pictures that I snapped while I was there.

- Andrew

post #172 of 223 Old 12-19-2014, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Here's a couple pictures from today.

- Andrew

post #173 of 223 Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 PM
snobrdrkid07

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0mps View Post
Thanks. I still run that caster, however I don't think it's right. It cured my death wobble for awhile but now it's mysteriously back. I am still on the hunt for the cause. I do drive the highway, but it's a nail biting task most of the time.
Any updates on this? Driving on the highway lately for me has been awful...

~ 04 WJ Overland 4.7 HO | Graphite Metallic | Quadra-Drive | Vari-Locks | Bilstein 4600ís | ADDCO Sway Bar | Powerstick Exhaust | RB1 | SuperChips Tuned | Much More to Come ~

~ 04 WJ Laredo 4.0 | Selec-Trac | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Silent Armor 245/70/17's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon HU | Alpine Speakers, Amps, and Subs | Bilstein SS | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars | Lots of Cool Stuff ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | OME HD Springs | Bilstein 5100ís | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-
post #174 of 223 Old 12-23-2014, 08:50 AM
platinum5.9
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
Any updates on this? Driving on the highway lately for me has been awful...
Keep us posted..... I've changed everything on mine and still doesn't feel right on highway. My next steps are steering box and Kevins bushing kit for trackbar with larger bolt.

03 Grand/WJ-White 4.7HO/QD/242HD Clayton 6" LA,5100,Clayton skid,Custom Rockers,JK OME SS,17"Rock Monsters 33"Interco Irok ND,Muffler delete/MF cats,SOLID D30/BTF D44a,Fawkes,Projectors/HID
post #175 of 223 Old 01-01-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

So after installing the rack in the cargo area, I have come to the conclusion that for the amount of times I am able to get off road, it is doing nothing but taking up space. I think I cracked one of the cases open one time in about a year, to replace a blown fuse. So I cut down my on-board carry to the two ARB recovery bags. I am considering selling the back rack to someone who can make use out of it more than I can.

Back to basics -

- Andrew

post #176 of 223 Old 01-01-2015, 06:53 PM
platinum5.9
2003 WJ 

Let me know what you would need out of it.

post #177 of 223 Old 01-03-2015, 09:24 AM
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Thanks for updating your status with the rack. It's one of my favorite features of this build so nice to see what your opinion ended up being after having it installed for awhile. What model ARB bags are those? I saw in post #7 what you carry but I didn't see what model bag they were. Thanks!

My "stocker" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/my-first-jeep-owning-adventure-1532212
post #178 of 223 Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmanWJ View Post
Thanks for updating your status with the rack. It's one of my favorite features of this build so nice to see what your opinion ended up being after having it installed for awhile. What model ARB bags are those? I saw in post #7 what you carry but I didn't see what model bag they were. Thanks!
They are just the larger gear bag.

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...pid=91109+4001

- Andrew

post #179 of 223 Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

You need to hurry and do your front LED turn signals so I will know if works or not!

2003 WJ Laredo
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/2003-wj-off-road-minivan-2346505/#post22320625
post #180 of 223 Old 01-04-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
w0mps
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinAaron View Post
You need to hurry and do your front LED turn signals so I will know if works or not!
I was just going to rock the hyper flash

- Andrew

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.