W.I.P. Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > W.I.P. Build

New! JK/U skid plate system.We now have Uniballs!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

W.I.P. CJ7 Build

W.I.P. or otherwise known as Work In Progress.
This shall be the documentation of the slowest build ever. Well maybe not slowest, but I am pretty broke ...... and we all know how that "helps" projects.

The GOODs:
I recently acquired an 84 CJ7 from a farm in the mountains of Tennessee. (Que the Banjos)
Now this is no regular CJ7 we are talking about here. This is a genuine AMC farm hand that hasn't seen a paved road in over 10 years. It also hasn't been taken out of 4WD in 10 years either. I did find her on the most trustworthy website ever to exist (aka craigslist). Drove about 4hrs from Charlotte, NC to there.
Drove around the farm a bit, checked it out....... rust, dings, and mud everywhere, but did have a solid frame and seemed to drive great. All the damage seemed to be mostly cosmetic, and by damage, I mean the stuff that doesn't look as pretty as new stuff. I had my friend there with me to drive the old Caddy back for me and to assist if (when*) things went wrong. Also, his parents lived a few miles down the road and his dad has built 3 CJ5s. ( he also looked at it ahead of time for me, cause he's awesome like that.)

fast forward....... I pay the man.... we leave.... fill up with gas..... Stop by buddy's parents for some good Nom Noms before taking back off to Charlotte. So far so good right......
We get about 30 miles down the road and BAM..... I'm out of 2H and in Neutral. "Ok, transfer cases do that from time to time..... " I thought to myself. Took about 30 Mins of driving around a gravel pit to get her back into 2hi.She goes in 4L great..... problem is it won't come back out. and we are off again. It's torrentially downpouring BTW and we are in the mountains. 2nd issue presents itself. Out of the 3 sets of doors the guy had in his barn..... I picked the set that doesn't latch well on the drivers side. So that come open..... ALLOT..... Especially if something big passes me by the left side. Had a few Transfer trucks suck the door almost all the way out..... lol.

Get to Asheville and stop for a quick break and to check on her/fill up.
Now she won't go back into 2H (or 4H). I spend 2 hours trying to get it into 2H. I'm driving around a CVS parking lot, backwards, forwards, coasting, dead stop..... Nothing works. I grab my tools and start taking the plates off the floor to check the linkage. I finally get it back into 2H. I'm excited at this point......
I'm putting my plates back on the floor (heads down) and I hear this very familiar sentence ....
"LET ME SEE YOUR HANDS"
Oh ****
Yeah, I'm surrounded by cops.
There are 3 cars and 4 officers there.... so of course I do exactly what he ask and put my hands up with my screwdriver and all.
After a brief talk with the officers, explaining why i was "casing the joint". They laughed and then were more interested in the jeep.... ran my license, wished me luck, and didn't say a thing about the really out of date Tn Plate I was running to get her home.

After everything was said an done. I did get her home at about 11pm Sunday. Soaking wet, tired and dirty.

Here's a few pictures I took from Tn before we left.
I don't think they will show up cause I'm a noob here..... So if someone would be so kind as to post up some working ones.... That'd be awesome.
She's not pretty, but exactly what I wanted (since I was 8). I haven't named her yet either.

Last edited by CJustin7; 04-01-2014 at 05:49 PM..
CJustin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

Just a quick follow up..... the first thing I will be doing and I am comfortable doing is my dana 300 rebuild. It's the root of my current problem and one of the only things I will be keeping stock. Thinking of going to 4:1 and also twin sticking it. Also, need to scrub her down, change fluids and a few other things over the weekend. I have limited tools, so I'm sure that will also play an important part in my build.
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:44 AM   #3
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

Finally got some time this weekend and stopped playing with the jeep. I knew once I actually started in, that play time would be halted for a while.... So I took her off roading on some of our property and drove her around as much as I could with only low gears.
Time to get that fixed so I can actually drive her to URE and put her to the test.

Went ahead and stripped her down to to take a good look at what all will be needed. the frame has no rust, but the body is riddled, so there will be allot of cutting and fabing, sanding and painting.

And finally got the culprit out.

It was actually very simple......
Disco'd the speedo cable and some other connection. dropped the drive shafts. Noticed the transmission was not installed right by the PO (more on that later) Pulled the tranny up with some straps through the rafters (working alone, so safety is paramount) dropped the skid plate (which was missing half the bolts). Jacked up the tranny from underneath so I had redundant safety measures. Took the 5 bolts out of the Dana 300 and wiggled it right off. Careful not to crush my head and arms cause I'm not really that big of a guy.

So back to the Transmission .....

Only one side had a mount in the back and all the bolts were loose. Teh mount itself was SHOT.
I know deep in my gut that this is one of the reasons my drive train is Effed right now.

Next up this week, I will be tearing the 300 apart and ordering a Master Rebuild kit, 4:1 gears, and have already got my JB custom Twin Stick on the way.

I'm beefing the 300 up so much because it's something I will be keeping. Everything else will be going for the most part .... V8 for I6 , beefier tranny than the T5 .... Axels will be 1 ton... but all that is down the road.
Unread 04-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
theCREECH
2000 WJ 

sounds interesting. I'll keep watching. Good luck bring her back to life, she looks like a great Jeep.
theCREECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice project

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good for a farm CJ7. I love the old CJ's. Looks like you're off to a good start.
Sub'd
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

Thanks Fellas.
This is the biggest Auto project I have ever taken on, but the CJ is so easy to work on with the lift and easy access to everything. I feel really confident. I will only need help with the bodywork and welding .... Lucky for me I have allot of owed favors. There is allot of work to do on it and allot of money needed. I'm scouring CL everyday looking for the right donor for my swaps I want. Chevy 350 or AMC 360 .... maybe a 327/5.3 ...... I'm not too picky, but a FI V8 will be going in for sure.

My biggest problem right now is patience.
Its just way too nice out to have this thing inside.
Unread 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

A little progress / Big moves

So got most of the TC broke down. Cleaned it up a bit first in the parts washer. It had some GUNK all over it. Mostly oil from 30yrs of abuse. Cracked it open, was able to get most of the bearings and gears out no problem. Knocked the center post out with a hammer, but I'll need a bearing puller for the remainder. After tear down, It's still waiting on parts..... so no rush.

Now for some interesting news.....

I also bought a XJ over the weekend. It's an 86 Pioneer edition ..... The one with the tweed/retro/70's/UGLY color interior. It's some shade of brown .... we can just call it baby poop brown for now.

That being said .... I like it and may DD it.
If I choose to DD it ..... I can then sale my current DD (Caddy) and dump allot of $$$$ into the CJ

I'll get a picture of it over the weekend.

So do I really want to get rid of the Caddy.....

Unread 04-22-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Don't get rid of the caddy! Love those cars.....but if you are strapped for cash or need the space then bye bye it goes!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #10
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

And the Doo doo Brown Box

Unread 04-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Do not sell that Caddy, I really like the newer caddy's, they've come a long way from a couple years ago.

XJ & a CJ, you're set. The XJ's run forever if the body doesn't fall off.

Changed my mind, dump the caddy and buy **** for the CJ.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

WiP

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post

Changed my mind, dump the caddy and buy **** for the CJ.
I am selling it. I'm pretty set now.

Caddy pros ...... ummm ... looks nice and women like the seat warmers... It's also not slow

Cons: I have to keep a black Caddy clean on my dirt road (Impossible). Cannot take my 120lbs dog anywhere. Cannot take camping. 4x4 doesn't work... etc etc

So yeah, I'm looking at new tires and a brake booster (It's whistling) to get the XJ DD ready. Won't loose the caddy til after the summer due to trips to Florida and TX being planned already. Was even thinking of trying to fit the 31" tires off the CJ on there for now. They are decent, but I know it will rub.

Also, My Twin Sticks are here for the TC as of today. That took allot longer than expected. Rebuild kit ordered / waiting on that .... and still need to order the 4:1's (600$)
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #13
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

So I am getting rid of the Caddy ..... which means this project is on hold until the XJ is up to my standards. So maybe a month to get the new tires and a brake booster in it. Then Caddy sale .... then project CJ money to get it rolling again.
Unread 05-09-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

Went to buy my LoMax 4:1 kit today......
OUT OF STOCK
I looked at the Tera Low kit, but it's a cheaper build quality with a few 2 piece gears. I don't see to much of a difference, buuuuuuut. Lomax is made here in the good Ol' US of A. Seems to have a better rep as well. I guess I can call and see when they will be in stock.

Good news, My Twin sticks have been patiently waiting in the living room.
Also the rebuild kit itself is ordered. So I could have it up and running without the 4:1 gears, but really want them..... and if I'm going to get them, I want the best ones. I know, I know ...... I'm picky dammit.
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #15
CJustin7
2002 WJ 

They are out of Stock til July ...... Noooooooooooooooooooooo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.