Untitled - Red X - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-20-2015, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Untitled - Red X

Well I really didn't intend to start a "build thread" but as lots of others I figure it will be good to track my progress and maybe not forget some of what I've done! Bad memory I have.

Here it is the day I bought it.

Only thing that the p.o. had installed was a 2.5" RC lift.

First couple of things I did were small but productive. Changed the fluids right away and gave it a bath and detail, threw on some homemade discos, painted headlight bezels. Ordered some hella e codes as well. I couldn't see anything at night!

Next I found a new set of brakes and a brand new hilift on Craigslist and gave 200.00 for the lot. Drilled and slotted rotors for the front with new pads and new drums and pads for the rear. Guy threw in some fitted floor mats too. Turns out he traded in his keep and had some of this stuff laying around and some he took off the Jeep. It was a pretty solid score.

Next I found a set of Poison Spyder tube fenders I wanted and got those put on along with some rock sliders. I also picked up some kc pillar light mounts from 4wd and a set of 100w KC Slimlites on Craigslist for 50.00 new in box. Came with everything... Rock guards, wiring harness, relay and switch. Wasn't even missing the instructions!!

Then I found a set of dick cepek 33s with 95% tread for 700 mounted and balanced. I feel this was a pretty solid score aw well.

Now we look like this

Forgot I also installed a smittybilt front bumper.. Now that I've had it awhile I believe I am going to take it off in favor of a stubby stock front. I'm not sure why but I love the way they look.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-20-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Next up on my to do list is a homemade TT with SYE, new DC DS, body lift and MML. This is going to be somewhat of a budget project. Only thing I'm really saving on though is the ds, SYE and the actual skid

Bought a 2'x4' sheet of 1/4" steel. Ordered a 1.25" bl, 1" mml and HnT SYE. Found a DC DS out of a 94 Explorer and will be having it cut and balanced for my application.

Drive shaft at pick n pull after tax was 40.00
1/4" plate was 30.00
Zone BL was 100
MML was 100
Cut and balance on DS is 65.00
SYE 100.00

Got a buddy that can brake and sheer 1/4 so I will be having that done this week or next depending on his schedule. I'm going to install everything and see if I have any vibes before I bother with control arms. Hoping I can get by without them. I plan on a 1.5-2" drop so I will still net approximately 2.5-3" gain. That is unless I have to lower it more until I get control arms. My design is going to mimic that of the Barnes 4wd skid. Doesn't look overly complicated. I just have a few questions about the Trans mount on the skid. Waiting for some replys in the fabrication forum.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got my 1" MML installed today. PITA! It's done now though. Will be getting my BL installed this week.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-12-2016, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well I'm still waiting on my skid....its taking forever. Its the only thing holding me up from being able to do my SYE and new DS. Maybe tomorrow.

Installed my BL week before last I believe. Didn't take but about 30 minutes thanks to already having the MML in. Also got some RE upper control arms for the rear from a member on here. Super good deal! Should have those Thursday.

News years day I picked up a couple month old Besttop soft top setup. Came with everything needed. Tinted rear windows. Was great since I've only got the hardtop stuff. Gave 400 for it. I feel like it was a pretty good deal. Ready for summer now!

Found my original window info sticker from when my Jeep was new. It was behind the glove box. My TJ was apparently a Freedom Edition..which is kind of neat..and kind of not. It explains the color matched flares...and the terrible gear ratio. 3.07 sucks
post #5 of 25 Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Also picked up a broken 9.5TI Warn. Needed a solenoid cover and put back together. Got two hundred in it. Picked up a generic winch plate and have been modifying it to fit. Haven't got it all done yet. Going through and cleaning the gears and re-greasing and a new paint job before installation. Going to give Warn a call and see about some replacement stickers for the clutch side.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-13-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Scored a brand new Cobra 29 LX and Firestick off Craigslist for a hundred bucks. Gotta get a coaxial cable and get it hooked up.

Just a pic off the Internet but it's what it looks like.
post #7 of 25 Old 01-15-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to announce that I finally picked up my skid yesterday! It looks great!

And I got my Hack n Tap installed (by far one of the easiest things I've done to the Jeep. Easier than the skid!)

I got done late last night so I didn't even think to snap a picture of the skid installed. I've got to pick up some shorter bolts anyway. I only have the ones used with the TC drop. I'm having to use the spacers on the underside of the skid to make the bolts work! Also the other good news is that I didn't have to touch my exhaust. Thank god. I didn't want to have to deal with that really.

Should have my DS today. Measured last night and called the shop with what I needed. Said he'd call me today. *fingers crossed*
post #8 of 25 Old 01-15-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Went from

To

I need to trim the edges still, reinforce, and paint.

Good news is I've got a TC skid drop kit that I don't need anymore!
post #9 of 25 Old 01-15-2016, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up my driveshaft today and looked good. It looked good until I went to install. It was 4" too long. I'm glad it was long and not short. Hah! Anyway, don't know how it happened but they just goofed. They will have it redone Monday.

Other than that the only issue I've had is my fan hitting the shroud now. Since I tucked everything it obviously brought the front of the motor down into contact with it again =(
post #10 of 25 Old 01-16-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

So since I could not drive my jeep home from the shop because of the DS, I decided to go work on the CB. Made a temporary mount for it and got it wired. Not sure if I want to do an overhead console or just make a more permanent mount just like my temporary one. I'd love to snatch up a tuffy...but that's just not going to happen unless I find a cheap used one.

post #11 of 25 Old 01-17-2016, 07:02 PM
JeepyJappy

i suggest you make a temporary mount in case you want to remove it and replace with something else. great progress you have there, pal. great work
post #12 of 25 Old 01-18-2016, 10:43 AM
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I like the skid.

2004 4.0L I6 TJ BUILD:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/h...rdeye-1233347/
1997 2.4L I4 TJ BUILD:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
post #13 of 25 Old 01-18-2016, 08:52 PM
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

post #14 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
wcbond4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepyJappy View Post
i suggest you make a temporary mount in case you want to remove it and replace with something else. great progress you have there, pal. great work
Yes I agree. The new mount will still leave my CB removable... Just more solid than the mount I made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Very nice. I like the skid.
Thank you sir. It was a trip. Kept having issues getting it broken. Finally came out though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 365Jeep View Post
Cool build. Watching.
Thank you sir. Your build is on my list to comb through. Probably tonight's reading material. Do you ever get into the National forest? I've been riding a few times there. Never in the Jeep...just on quads.
post #15 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
365Jeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbond4 View Post
Do you ever get into the National forest?
Which national forest, Ouachita, St. Francis, or Ozark? I've been in the Ozark NF a little, but I used to play in the Ouachitas on a regular basis years ago in my CJ.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.