Unsp0kn's '08 Wrangler Unlimited X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Unsp0kn's '08 Wrangler Unlimited X

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Unsp0kn's '08 Wrangler Unlimited X

Well, this is going to be my dad rig now. I currently drive a 2006 WRX that is modified a bit but we have some plans changing with our little family and need two SUVs. Going to take the JK over as my DD and get the wife into a 2011+ Grand Cherokee. We bought it in 2010 with 8,4XX miles on it, glad it's a 6spd. So far, this is all that's done to it but I've got some plans now....

17" Blackrocks
285/70R17 BFG KM2 Mud Terrains x5
K&N Cold Air Intake
Magnaflow muffler
Jeep OEM step bars
Bestop Canvas Bikini Top (she's topless all summer)
Rigid Industries Dually LEDs
Spyder front and rear rock crawler bumpers (on the way)

Future Plans
New TIPM....see below lol
Smittybilt XRC8 Winch
2.5" Spring lift and new shocks
Rugged Ridge rocker panel guards
Rugged Ridge rear corner panel guard
Spyder Tire Cargo Rack
Spyder Jerry Can Rack
Hi-Lift Mount
RIPP Supercharger kit :twisted:

Yes, it needs a new TIPM like many others I have read about. It likes to throw fits every now and again, the ol windshield wipers going nutz, horn honking, lights flickering and washer fluid spraying all over the place. Usually just takes a good smack on the TIPM lid and it stops. I can tell when it's about to happen too because the HVAC blower fan quits working. Seems like it happens 2-3 times a year. Sometimes I'll shut a door and it'll give me a warning honk. Maybe she is just flirting with me or I'm shutting the door too hard.

The RIPP might take a bit to save up 5K for but will be worth it. I plan on keeping it on the 285's so it will have better mileage and throttle response. Might re-gear and go 35's one day but I'd rather do all the planned stuff first.

I didn't like the wheels much at all and the tires were worthless for any offroad or snow so it now looks like this:

Some super light duty "trailing." It'll see more!

I installed the Rigid Duallys on Friday, the hardest part was feeding the wiring through the firewall on both sides of the rig, but it came out super clean. Rigid Industries provides a full wiring harness that is literally plug and play and was plenty long for me to route the wiring how I wanted. I like the switch and how it looks mounted, clean.

I just placed an order for some new bumpers yesterday after selling my FN Five-SeveN pistol. They are Spyder (not Poison Spyder, I'm not that rich) front winch bumper and rear tiregate/bumper. Will post some pics when I get them installed hopefully next weekend!

Unsp0kn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Received the Spyder rock crawler bumpers today. Really like them a lot and the crinkle finish is awesome! They were packed pretty nicely, only sign of damage I see is a small dent in the stinger on one side, no big. At least it didn't chip the powdercoating. All hardware is present as well as far as I can tell.

Just have to assemble the tire gate portion, install coming after work!
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #3
HobbesMRH

Lookin' forward to seeing it with the new bumpers
HobbesMRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tackled the bumper install solo last night. Took a little bit of convincing both front and rear, probably why I didn't pay top dollar for them but they look sick!

Front bumper off, drilled holes out to 11/16 and had to tweak all the bumper studs a bit with a mallet to get them to line up and then it slid right on.

Rear bumper, tow package and tire carrier off. The bumper plates were a tiny bit narrow for the frame rails, but with a big *** rubber mallet, a floor jack, some elbow grease and an abundance of 4 letter words, got it on.

Installed the tire carrier and put the spare back on. Both bumpers torqued and done!

Unread 08-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Some better lit pics.

Unread 10-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Installed my $20 2" spacer lift today. Took about an hour per axle and it went smooth, love the way it looks now!

Going to order Rough Country N2.0 shocks next month.
Unread 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Been awhile since any updates, I'm currently right here:

Here's what caused the axle shaft mess:

Long story short, broke it pulling it out somehow. Couple front end bounces and it let go. Sucked because it was in the dark and it was cold out and I needed to be somewhere other than getting myself unstuck. Within a foot of it coming out when it popped. Ended up winching it out with my parent's '02 TJ. Sucks because I was about to order new shocks, but $280 later I have a new axle shaft coming tomorrow.

The more fun stuff is I got those Rugged Ridge corner armor pieces from the wifey for Christmas, love the way they look. I also put another set of Rigid Industries Dually LEDs on the front bumper.

Hopefull do shocks, winch, new exhaust (rusting) and a new stereo before summer!
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:46 AM   #8
Unsp0kn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lots of stuff has been done since my last update.

First, got a Warn VR8000 winch for my birthday!

Installed a Pioneer AVH-4600XBT 7" touchscreen double din head unit the wife bought for me.

10" Pioneer shallow sub, hits plenty hard!

Installed Rough Country N2.0 shocks and 2.2 steering stabilizer.

Really like the stabilizer mount, high clearance and keeps it out of harm's way. After all that was done, had to go out for a little trip with the wife and kid.

Still have a Rough Country front skid plate and Smittybilt CRES on the way for the summer. After that I plan on getting some 2.5" springs so I can ditch the spacer lift and get some 35's on it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.