Unnamed - A timeline of my second XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Unnamed - A timeline of my second XJ

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Unnamed - A timeline of my second XJ

I bought another XJ today. Some of you may remember "Snot", which was my first one. First car of many I have ever sold that I actually missed. Today, out with a co-worker, he wanted to stop by a used car dealer to browse. I "accidentally" ended up with a white 2000.

When I built Snot, I didn't do a very good job with the build thread. This time, without the resources of a full fabrication shop, or even a garage, the build will be much slower but I will document it better.

In the coming days and weeks I will be coming up with a name and doing minor mods, work keeps me away from the Jeep for weeks at a time, but I will do my best. For now, here's the stats:

4.0L (Appears to have been recently replaced. Jeep has 225k on the odometer, but this engine seems too clean and too smooth for that many miles.)
AW-4
NP231
Dana35 rear

Aside from a few scrapes and a cracked windshield that's being replaced by the dealer, the exterior is in great condition. No body rust at all. No stress cracks anywhere. The interior is almost perfect. No tears, no thin spots. Looks like it drove itself 225 thousand miles.

So for now, I leave it at this. Happy new owner of another XJ.

Let the modding commence!

Daehimeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #2
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

First mod is done. Tired of the cassette player I decided to start with the stereo. Decided to go with the Kenwood BT555U. I liked the idea of the bluetooth audio streaming. Starting easy.

Not a great picture, but not much to show.

Dearly Departed: 1996 XJ "Snot"
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
ZSXJ430

May I ask what you picked it up for? That looks pretty clean for that many miles. I wonder if the drivetrain was ever serviced. How many owners? Good luck on the build.
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Picked it up for $4500. I'm not sure how many owners. I'm assuming 2 before me. It has current parking stickers for the local University. I doubt a current college student would be first owner, but it doesn't look like it's had too many owners. I plan on finding a local place to service the differentials before I drive it 1100 miles home.

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Found some goodies today.

Window sticker:

Also found original purchase documents from December 1999 and another set of purchase documents from 2005. Looks like my 2 previous owners theory was right.

Unread 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Now to get back to my computer and email Jeep for my build sheet.

Unread 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Since I've been away from the Jeep and unable to do any work I have been planning. When I built my last XJ I stumbled upon a setup I really liked. 3" of lift and 33's meant a lot of cutting and rolling, but it was a very stable and comfortable setup. This time, at least for now, I don't want to cut quite as much. I plan on going with the same suspension and wheels but for now 31x10.50x15 Duratracs rather than the 33x12x15.

Unfortunately I no longer have access to a lift or welder or any of the tools I had while building the last one. This will make this build much more difficult and probably expensive. I hate the idea of paying for labor to do things I can do better than the person I'm paying.

First things first. My power steering pump is whistling extremely loudly occasionally. I also have an abs light to investigate.

Unread 10-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daehimeh View Post
Now to get back to my computer and email Jeep for my build sheet.
Go to www.moparownerconnect.com and register your jeep.
It will give you your build sheet info, recall info, service info(from Mopar service centers), and other info as well.
I have all 4 of my Jeeps registered there.
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So last Friday I lost my job. Haven't done much as a result. Today I did get some minor rust in the gutters fixed. It was all surface rust, so a wire brush and a can of rustoleum is all it took. Also fixed some oil leaks. New oil pan gasket, Vance cover gasket, and TDC sensor seal. Fixed a vacuum leak that was causing the whistle it had also. Still needs a rear main seal and brakes, but I'm waiting until I swap the axles to do brakes.

Unread 04-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It has been a very long time since I updated, however the Jeep has made some progress. The incurable whistling I hinted at previously lead to the name "Dixie." A few months later the whistle was finally traced to a loose exhaust manifold bolt. Renewed employment resulted in a Rough Country 3" StageII lift, as planned. Shortly followed by the ordering of The Rough Country adjustable track bar and extended brake lines. Also sitting on the floor of my room is the Energy Suspension master kit. Poly bushings should be nice. The plan was ordering wheels and tires next, however driveline vibes have adjusted my priorities some. I think the SYE and driveshaft work will be next.

Unread 06-29-2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I may not be very good at updating my build thread, but I have been doing plenty of work on Dixie. Since the lift, trackbar, and brake lines I have replaced all the U-joints and added a Ram Mount with a tablet running an OBD monitoring and diagnostics app. I added a subwoofer to fill in the lower end of music that was missing with the standard stereo setup, as well as installing new front speakers and fixing the broken speaker wire in the driver's door. I used the "XJ Pod" enclosure and while it's not perfect, it works well for the small application I was looking for. I made a few minor aesthetic changes: Removing the plastic trim down the sides and painting the stock wheels black until I get the new wheel/tire combo ordered. Most recently I added Napier Precision recessed hood vents.

The trackbar and the resulting front axle relocation didn't get rid of my vibrations, however it moved them just out of the speed range I normally stay in while on the freeway so I've decided to hold off on the SYE and related mods. Eventually I will have to address the vibrations, but for now I can play ignorant. I am one rotation too far out on the trackbar setting anyway, and laziness has made me not want to take things apart to fix that minor issue.

Since I'm only lifted 3 inches, the brake lines are, as expected, a bit too long. they are rigid enough to stay in place during street driving, however at full lock the fronts just barely rub the tire. With the current street tires this is only a minor concern, however when I am running luggy tires this could go badly very quickly. I've been trying to think of a good solution.

Horrible picture (sorry) of the tablet mounted and running the software. I'm not sure its my final software choice but it does what I want.

And a close-up of the mount. I am not crazy about how far forward the pole is, it is right at a passenger's knee. Eventually I will bend the plate and use the holes the bracket mounts to to mount directly to the seat bolts, that will pull it back a few inches.

So the hood vents were the first irreversible mod I did. Nothing like cutting two 10"x14" holes in your hood to say you're committed to the project!

First I taped a square of the hood and laid the vents out to get a rough idea of where I wanted them.

With the locations marked and measured I removed the hood and moved it to the front lawn for easier access. I traced the outline of the vents then measured in from that outline to mark the cut lines. In the rear I measured in .75 inches, and 1" the rest of the way around. The extra lines were a failed attempt to follow the instructions that came with the vents. These instructions were general to all of their vents and the 1.5" measurement they suggested did not leave clearance for the recessed slats of these particular vents. In case you're interested, the outline of the vent sits 2 inches from the body line. It follows this line. the closest point to the rear of the hood is 4 inches away. if i did it again I would go 3.75 inches. At 4 I nicked the flange of the diagonal hood support on each side. this extra .25" would clear that.

Once I was confident with the measurements I went for it. Using a 1" hole saw I cut out the corners. This was partly structural and partly for my own selfish need for every hole I cut to look good, whether it will be covered or not.

Using a jigsaw with a metal blade I carefully cut along my lines. The jigsaw made quick work of the extremely thin Cherokee metal. After cutting I used a metal file to clean up the cut edges. I repeated this for the second vent.

Evidence of crappy late-90's paint and the temperatures the hood itself reaches. While cutting the passenger side hole the tape started peeling up it wasn't until removal that I noticed it took the paint with it.

Once installed and the Hood back on the Jeep. The ABS plastic vents are flat, unlike the hood, this lead to the outer edge on both vents standing off the hood slightly. The combination of that and my displeasure with the screws used to mount the vents lead to a decision to rivet the vents on at a later time. For now I will deal with the less-than-perfect fit.

Now I need to get out on a trail and see how the underhood temperatures go. My last trip out, while admittedly on a very hot day, I had intake temperatures approaching 200 degrees. I hope that is reduced drastically.

A bonus picture of the side with the trim gone.

Unread 08-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #12
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I know I haven't been very good at keeping this updated. Here's a list of the changes since last update:

Riveted the hood vents
Wheels/Tires
Installed fan shroud
Windows tinted
Brake lines restrained
Installed subwoofer (Actually done before hood vents but I never mentioned it... Told you I was bad at updating)

The only thing I do worse than update this thread is take pictures of modifications as they happen. I have however made some decisions on future direction and I have ordered a few big ticket items.

Ordered but not received:

Trucklite LED headlights
JCR Crusader front bumper

Direction (Not yet ordered):

Notch Customs flares
Notch Customs sliders
JCR Vanguard tire carrier (when they release it)

So back to the things I've actually done.

I mentioned in the hood vent post that I was unhappy with the way they sat on the hood due to the different heat expansion rates. 12 rivets each solved that problem rather effectively. (TIP: Don't use a standard hand rivet gun with stainless steel rivets, after 24 of them you'll be very sore.)

I did get the wheels and tires done. 31/10.5/15 Duratracs and the same Cragar Nomad's as my last XJ. For this there is a picture.

Bumper caps rubbed fairly badly so they were removed, on an impulse this lead to ordering the bumper that same night. In that picture you can also see the window tint, although not very well.

The brake lines were a cheap and easy fix. using some tiny bungee cords and a zip tie I tied the point on the line that was touching the tire to the frame. No more issues.

The subwoofer: I got the XJPod, and the speaker they bundled it with on Amazon and a relatively cheap amp. I have no desire to have booming bass, I only wanted to fill in the low range that the factory setup wouldn't get. Between this and replacing the front speakers it sounds much better now.

Unread 08-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looking through some pictures of Snot made me a little nostalgic. So I thought I would do a comparison here.

Snot the day I bought it:

Snot the day it was sold:

Dixie is well on her way, and in many ways is farther along.

Unread 08-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Daehimeh
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Another mod done. Decided since I work graveyard and drive as much at night as during the day I should upgrade my headlights. On Snot I had H4 conversions, but this time I went the LED route. I got the Trucklite LED's.

Factory lights.

The factory beam on my garage. (No I'm not square, and I'm also close, it gave me a general idea though.)

Really bad picture of the installed LED.

Testing.

Low Beam.

High Beam.

Both LED's in

And on.

Here they are in daylight.

In the final picture you may notice the puddle of coolant... My new all-aluminum radiator should be here tomorrow... It's been a frustrating weekend. I also attempted a switch of all of the exterior lights to LED. It worked, I got electronic relays, etc. Every LED bulb I got had problems though. very cheaply made. So I returned it all and decided to stay simple and stick with the incandescent bulbs for now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.