Unnamed 1999 Jeep Wrangler Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Unnamed 1999 Jeep Wrangler Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Unnamed 1999 Jeep Wrangler Build

I thought I would start this build thread to keep track of everything I do and so I can get opinions from everyone on what I am doing.

Already Done:
4" Lift Kit (unsure of the brand)
20" XD Rockstars with 32" Nitto Terra Grapplers (Traded wheels and tires and $100)
NP231 Transfer Case 23 Spline (Craigslist for $150)
Buchanan 1.5" Seat Risers

Wishlist:
Ford 8.8 Rear Axle
Corbeau A4 Seats in Red or have the original seat redone in red
Monstaline the Interior of the tub black
Monstaline the exterior of the tub white
Monstaline the underside of the tub black
Crate Inline 6 Engine
AX-15 Transmission
Soft Top and Frame
Hard Top
Full Hard Doors
Poison Spyder Trail Cage Upgrade Front & Rear with Grab Handles
Poison Spyder Hood Louver
Smittybilt XRC Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
35" Tires or larger
Chassis Saver from Monstaliner before bed liner
Poison Spider TJ Hood Louver
Metalcloak Overline Tube Fenders
Metalcloak 4" Overline Flat Flare
Metalcloak Full Corner Guards
Metalcloak 4" Rear Flare
Poison SPyder TJ Ricochet Rockers
Brown Dog Motor Mounts

12/8/13
Bought the Jeep from my cousin. It has a blown 4 cylinder engine so my plan is to replace it with the I6. I know that a lot of people on here would recommend a V8 or a diesel swap but this is my first major project so I am starting off slow. Basically the whole Jeep was trashed and what wasn't trashed on the Jeep my cousin pawned to fund his bad habit. So basically there was no radio, speakers, soft top, soft top frame…nothing. He had a windjammer top on it that was trashed. The back window on that top was held up with safety pins. The only good thing on the Jeep was the tires which he had put on about 350-400 miles before the engine blew on him. Here is a picture of how it looked when I got it.

photo photo.jpg

The entire dash was caked in mud as well as basically every part on the interior of the Jeep. I tore out all the carpet and took out the dash and basically stripped the entire interior in preparation of the Monstaliner interior that I will hopefully be getting to soon.

photo photo1.jpg

The seats were also torn and the plastic over the gauge cluster was broken and the windshield is shattered. Needless to say he didn't take very good care of the Jeep. Anyway I was looking around on craigslist because I knew I was going to need a AX-15 transmission to replace the AX-5 transmission and a 23 spline transfer case to replace the 21 spline transfer case. I found a 23 spline NP231 out of a cherokee for $200 so I called the guy and offered him $150 and he took it so I plan on rebuilding that with all new internals. Also while I was on craigslist I found a guy with a set of 20" Rockstars with the 32" Nitto's for $1200 which I know most of you guys probably hate those wheels but I really like them so I threw my wheels and tires on craigslist for $900 and ended up selling them for $800 so I called the guy with the Rockstars and offered him $900 and he took it. The best part is they came with a matching spare so I got 5 wheels and 5 tires for $900. I'm pretty excited about that.

Here are the wheels and tires I had:
 photo photo-2.jpg

Here are the Rockstars:
 photo photo-1.jpg

photo photo2.jpg

Anyway that is all I have done for now but I have big plans for her. I plan on Metalcloak flat fenders and rear corners, Poison Spyder cage upgrades and maybe rock sliders, hard top, full hard doors, replace/recover seats, Poison Spyder hood louver, Smittybilt bumpers and tire carrier and a Ford 8.8 rear axle. Thats just the beginning I am still planning a ton of things to make her look nice!

Unread 12-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting broken bolts out? I broke 3 of the 4 bolts that hold on the rear seat brackets. I bought one of those kits from O'Reilly's that has the drill bits and the extractor things but the drill bits wouldn't even drill into the bolt. Any help would be appreciated
Unread 12-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see bigger tires on your wish list.....but I hope they're on there. Those 32's on 20's, with a 4" lift look out of place, and will look even more out of place if you go to Metalcloaks.

Get a better bit then use an ez out on the bolt....other than that you could get someone to weld a nut on the busted bold so you can get a wrench on it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I don't see bigger tires on your wish list.....but I hope they're on there. Those 32's on 20's, with a 4" lift look out of place, and will look even more out of place if you go to Metalcloaks.

Get a better bit then use an ez out on the bolt....other than that you could get someone to weld a nut on the busted bold so you can get a wrench on it.
I do plan on getting bigger tires I'm just not sure what size yet so I didn't put them on the list. Thanks for the tip on the broken bolts
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna be painting my dash black because I don't care for the spice color. Anyone have suggestions for how to make sure the paint doesn't come off and for good adhesion?
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wish list updated
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

12/23/13
Started painting dash pieces. Will post pics very soon. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to clear coat the dash or not…any suggestions?
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

12/31/13
Cleaned and prepped the inside of the jeep so I can begin coating it with POR 15 before I put the bedliner in. Has anyone used Monstaliner to coat the interior of their jeep? How did it hold up?
Unread 01-01-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
thartleystj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

1/1/14
Bought seat risers for the front seats. Now I just need some new front seats

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.