Unlimicon Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Unlimicon Build

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
So I have a little chipmunk living somewhere on my jeep. I don't know what is cause of it is, but it's more prominent in the morning when it's cold out. Sounds like it's coming from the front right..
Describe the sound.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:11 AM   #17
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

For the most part, it's just a squeak that gets louder and softer repeatedly for the first few minutes while driving each morning. I don't really know how else to describe it. It may even be constantly while driving, but I usually turn my music up to cancel it out and then I might just block it out?
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For the most part, it's just a squeak that gets louder and softer repeatedly for the first few minutes while driving each morning. I don't really know how else to describe it. It may even be constantly while driving, but I usually turn my music up to cancel it out and then I might just block it out?
Does it match the revolution of the tire... changes with speed?

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #19
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sometimes it seems to, but other times, it's consistent regardless of speed. I'll give it a closer listen tonight on my way home.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice LJ! You think maybe its the OPDA making the noise?

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade88 View Post
Nice LJ! You think maybe its the OPDA making the noise?
Can you elaborate? I'm going to search also, but what is the OPDA?
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
bigsnafu

2006 LJ Wrangler 

There is a huge write-up on the OPDA. Its real easy to remove and check the gear wear. It may take the whole weekend to read but you get the most info in the first few pages.

Great looking LJ!

Here's the link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

and, here's mine!! 33" MTR's with Savvy MML and BL.
1-12-13-031.jpg  
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #23
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnafu View Post
There is a huge write-up on the OPDA. Its real easy to remove and check the gear wear. It may take the whole weekend to read but you get the most info in the first few pages.

Great looking LJ!

Here's the link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

and, here's mine!! 33" MTR's with Savvy MML and BL.
I'll definitely have to check this write-up out. It definitely doesn't sound like the laughing monkey, but it definitely can't hurt to check the gear wear.

Nice looking Jeep to you as well!
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I have a little chipmunk living somewhere on my jeep. I don't know what is cause of it is, but it's more prominent in the morning when it's cold out. Sounds like it's coming from the front right..
Ahh...Invisible Chipmunk has decided to come live in your wheel well for awhile...

Check all the bushings and what-not before you get paranoid. A lot of times that little chirping squeak can be a loose shock or something else of that nature, and they do tend to be a bit worse when the rubber/poly is cold and stiff. Mayhaps a good going-over of all the fasteners would be beneficial; you'll likely find something, somewhere, that's not as tight as it's supposed to be. Even if that doesn't banish the chipmunk, you can be confident that everything's snug and tight; then you can go looking for the rodent.

Regarding the bumper: it's not so much the weight in and of itself as it is the location of the weight. The bumpers are at the absolute extreme ends of your rig and they exert a LOT of leverage; accordingly, the heavier they are, the worse the effect. That leverage - and the departure/approach angles and the clearance and all of that stuff - is why I moved my spare tire mount inboard.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
02jeepwrangler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your centering ball in your front driveshaft is going out. Try this and see if the noise goes away.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...-test-1178283/

BTW: Nice LJ, I sold my TJ for an LJ too
02jeepwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Ahh...Invisible Chipmunk has decided to come live in your wheel well for awhile...

Check all the bushings and what-not before you get paranoid. A lot of times that little chirping squeak can be a loose shock or something else of that nature, and they do tend to be a bit worse when the rubber/poly is cold and stiff. Mayhaps a good going-over of all the fasteners would be beneficial; you'll likely find something, somewhere, that's not as tight as it's supposed to be. Even if that doesn't banish the chipmunk, you can be confident that everything's snug and tight; then you can go looking for the rodent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepwrangler View Post
Sounds like your centering ball in your front driveshaft is going out. Try this and see if the noise goes away.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/an...-test-1178283/

BTW: Nice LJ, I sold my TJ for an LJ too
Thanks 02, thinking back on things, I recall hearing the noise while the Jeep was idling as well.. I'll have to confirm this as well.

Quote:
Regarding the bumper: it's not so much the weight in and of itself as it is the location of the weight. The bumpers are at the absolute extreme ends of your rig and they exert a LOT of leverage; accordingly, the heavier they are, the worse the effect. That leverage - and the departure/approach angles and the clearance and all of that stuff - is why I moved my spare tire mount inboard.
As far as the bumper goes, it's a good point about the leverage. I kind of talked myself into some logic where the weight of the front bumper and winch could be cancelled out by the weight of the rear bumper and spare tire. Like a see-saw effect. My girlfriend currently lives in Boston with her roommates, none of them have cars, so the rear seat is there to stay until I can get a daily-driver mod. I've also thought about getting a higher lift in order to counteract the sag caused by the total weight of the bumpers.

I may just be making stuff up to justify my desires, as I'm an electrical engineer, not mechanical
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #27
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

HAHA that pretty much sums up what I told my GF.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks 02, thinking back on things, I recall hearing the noise while the Jeep was idling as well.. I'll have to confirm this as well.
Pulley.

Quote:
As far as the bumper goes, it's a good point about the leverage. I kind of talked myself into some logic where the weight of the front bumper and winch could be cancelled out by the weight of the rear bumper and spare tire. Like a see-saw effect. My girlfriend currently lives in Boston with her roommates, none of them have cars, so the rear seat is there to stay until I can get a daily-driver mod. I've also thought about getting a higher lift in order to counteract the sag caused by the total weight of the bumpers.
Adding weight to the rear might reduce your rake, but it won't cancel the weight of the front; that weight will still be there because gravity will still be in effect.

I'd say that the higher lift would compensate, but it would be just that: compensation...and it would introduce further problems that would require their own solutions. To truly solve the problem of bumper weight, you have to eliminate the weight...however, I'm going to back up Kodiak and say that it's your rig and that you can build it however you want. For an easy solution to your spare tire needs, you can simply unclip the rear seat when you wheel and throw the spare in the cargo area; that would keep your rear seat and it would allow passengers when needed. Since I'm only likable online, I don't have many passengers.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pulley.
Definitely on my list of things to check.

Quote:
Adding weight to the rear might reduce your rake, but it won't cancel the weight of the front; that weight will still be there because gravity will still be in effect.

I'd say that the higher lift would compensate, but it would be just that: compensation...and it would introduce further problems that would require their own solutions. To truly solve the problem of bumper weight, you have to eliminate the weight...however, I'm going to back up Kodiak and say that it's your rig and that you can build it however you want. For an easy solution to your spare tire needs, you can simply unclip the rear seat when you wheel and throw the spare in the cargo area; that would keep your rear seat and it would allow passengers when needed. Since I'm only likable online, I don't have many passengers.
Damn gravity!

But really, there are many roads I can go down, and it ultimately starts off with who can be the one to part me from my money. Until then, it's staying just as it is.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.