The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Reply
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #46
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
i hope that's a few things that will help you make up your mind. im definitely not one to tell somebody that they cant do it. if youre "no expert" at wrenching, youll need all of your basic tools plus those special sockets. tranny jack not necessary, i highly recommend it though. there's a ton of good info here on the forum and plenty of people that are willing to help. if i was nearby, id venture over to lend a hand.

__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #47
RedStep
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 111
Wow thanks for the in depth response! I'm personally dealing with the nutserts on the skid right now, I'm putting my lift on this weekend and have pretty much decided that I'm cutting them if they aren't in the bolt bucket after an hour haha. I have some mechanically inclined friends back home that I'll rope in to help me so you don't have to drive from Tennessee to New Jersey but I'd so much rather take the time than spend an extra $700 to have the shop do it. I probably won't fiddle with it for another month so I have time to get all of the parts but thanks again for all of the insight, looking forward to seeing where your Jeep goes
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #48
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
Wow thanks for the in depth response! I'm personally dealing with the nutserts on the skid right now, I'm putting my lift on this weekend and have pretty much decided that I'm cutting them if they aren't in the bolt bucket after an hour haha. I have some mechanically inclined friends back home that I'll rope in to help me so you don't have to drive from Tennessee to New Jersey but I'd so much rather take the time than spend an extra $700 to have the shop do it. I probably won't fiddle with it for another month so I have time to get all of the parts but thanks again for all of the insight, looking forward to seeing where your Jeep goes
no problem man, hope it goes well for you. i think i said before i was amazed at what shops actually charge, thats all money you can put into a good set of tools if you really think about it.

dont forget about the forum, i keep the computer in the garage when i run in to trouble or have questions

dont forget the slave and master cylinders. i went ahead and changed mine while i was at it. you can get a prebled system from rock auto for 110 IIRC. good luck!
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #49
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
my new shop seat. i need to get some caster wheels for the bottom. right now it sits nicely on a cinder block
2012-05-17_10-20-58_697.jpg  
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #50
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
picked these guys up today. id like to get everything put together and a coat of paint put on by the end of the day. we'll see.
2012-05-17_14-27-16_183.jpg  
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #51
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
well i guess after i've had these for about 7 or 8 years i guess, both my sawzall and grinder died today. so that puts the bumper project on an indefinite hold until i get some new tools. i guess im going to go with a grinder. i wont have the funds for both of them. ive been living off of saved up funds from my deployment, and dont feel like getting both until i start work. im not much for buying harbor frieght power tools, but ill probably be giving them a try now. pretty disappointed.
2012-05-17_14-51-27_402.jpg  
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #52
TSCHNEIDER
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OHIO
Posts: 164
I'll be takeing on my clutch soon. I have an AX-5. What are the major differences? PS at what point did the HK some in handy?
__________________
[QUOTE=RiponredTJ]Start smoking again. All that extra lard will kill you faster than the carcinogens.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=molshove]If gay is code word for a picky, boobie loving hetero...give me a handbag and call me fabulous[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #53
RedStep
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmiller58 View Post
no problem man, hope it goes well for you. i think i said before i was amazed at what shops actually charge, thats all money you can put into a good set of tools if you really think about it.

dont forget about the forum, i keep the computer in the garage when i run in to trouble or have questions

dont forget the slave and master cylinders. i went ahead and changed mine while i was at it. you can get a prebled system from rock auto for 110 IIRC. good luck!
Probably a good idea on the slave cylinder actually, I heard they have a reputation for going bunk in TJ's after while. That's exactly what I was thinking too, if I only pay 100 bucks for the actual clutch, I can still buy a ton of tools or parts and still for just half the cost. Plus maybe I'll learn something
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #54
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCHNEIDER View Post
I'll be takeing on my clutch soon. I have an AX-5. What are the major differences? PS at what point did the HK some in handy?
yours i believe is still the internal slave cylinder. i know on 6 cyl models you can buy a newer bell housing and upgrade to the external slave cylinder, but im not sure about the 4. i would look into that. i just saw one on the forum here for like 75 bucks (6 cyl model though)

the HK always comes in handy, whether i need tell off the neighbors when they complain about the noise, or just relieve some stress....itll always have a special place in my heart.
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #55
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStep View Post
Probably a good idea on the slave cylinder actually, I heard they have a reputation for going bunk in TJ's after while. That's exactly what I was thinking too, if I only pay 100 bucks for the actual clutch, I can still buy a ton of tools or parts and still for just half the cost. Plus maybe I'll learn something
well you can buy the slave and master cylinder as a complete prebled system from rock auto. way worth the extra little bit IMO. comes to your door in about 3 days.

ha yeah, ive learned a lot just in the past few months, and ive gained a few new tools too, haha.
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:28 PM   #56
TSCHNEIDER
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleveland, OHIO
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmiller58 View Post
yours i believe is still the internal slave cylinder. i know on 6 cyl models you can buy a newer bell housing and upgrade to the external slave cylinder, but im not sure about the 4. i would look into that. i just saw one on the forum here for like 75 bucks (6 cyl model though)

the HK always comes in handy, whether i need tell off the neighbors when they complain about the noise, or just relieve some stress....itll always have a special place in my heart.
It is internal. I have to dig in there and replace it because I have a leak somewhere. I just had to bleed it about a week ago. This is why I will be changing out the clutch as well.
__________________
[QUOTE=RiponredTJ]Start smoking again. All that extra lard will kill you faster than the carcinogens.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=molshove]If gay is code word for a picky, boobie loving hetero...give me a handbag and call me fabulous[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #57
Kman1983
Member
 
Kman1983's Avatar
1983 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: , Vermont
Posts: 353
Look to see if you have an electric motor repair place in your area they may be able to repair your grinder and sawsall pretty cheap. I've had to have new brushes installed before, a LOT cheaper than replacing the complete tool. That will help you save up for a chop saw!
__________________
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #258
'83 CJ5, 4.0 MPFI swap, T18/D20, CenterForce II clutch, Dana44/30(73 CJ5) with 3.73's,'79 knuckles and 11" discs, sagged 4" lift, 2" BL, 34x9.50x15 Super Swamper Pizza Cutters

My wifes website The Vermont JeepGirl http://www.vermontjeepgirl.com/

"Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://youtu.be/9xRtRE45OVQ
Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #58
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCHNEIDER View Post
It is internal. I have to dig in there and replace it because I have a leak somewhere. I just had to bleed it about a week ago. This is why I will be changing out the clutch as well.
yeah depending on mileage you might as well while youre in there. its too much of a pain not too.
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #59
cfmiller58
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: from the land of pleasant living
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983 View Post
Look to see if you have an electric motor repair place in your area they may be able to repair your grinder and sawsall pretty cheap. I've had to have new brushes installed before, a LOT cheaper than replacing the complete tool. That will help you save up for a chop saw!
definitely, thanks for the recommendation.

i found a switch on ebay for 14 bucks shipped for the grinder. hopefully thats all that it is. it just cut out on me like when a fuse goes. i checked all of the outlets, and tried other ones when it went with no luck. i wish i had a multimeter to check without buying parts blindly.

the sawzall i know is the motor, before it went, it was moving slowly and sparking pretty bad at the motor. then it just quit totally. ill have to see if they sell replacement brushes for that motor or take it to a shop.

like you said, i'd love to have a chop saw! i have a set of torches at my dads house in pittsburgh, that id love to have here. my wife asked me what i wanted for my birthday coming up, and im just going to ask for tools probably starting with a small drill press, then each holiday ask for something else!

in the mean time a friend of mine has let me borrow his sawzall and grinder to finish the project. he also had a set of caster wheels laying around that came with his house when he bought it. so ill be able to put some wheels under my shop chair instead of a cinder block!
__________________
Black Jeep Society





The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #60
G Beasley
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Eden, NC
Posts: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983 View Post
Look to see if you have an electric motor repair place in your area they may be able to repair your grinder and sawsall pretty cheap. I've had to have new brushes installed before, a LOT cheaper than replacing the complete tool. That will help you save up for a chop saw!
X2 if your tools are older they might be USA stuff thats worth rebuilding . Nice work so far , hope the dead tools dont set you back too much .
__________________
Free stickers and picture hosting at Jeep-Owner.com
G Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
custom bumper , novak , ucf uhc
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.