The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
TSCHNEIDER
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmiller58 View Post
and since you mention that schneider, here's a pic of my ecaller i meant to post a while ago. i have it all torn appart right now to put a bigger amp in it. crow season is coming up here in TN
Im city folk so I dont know. (off topic) What do you hunt crow for?

Quote:
haha yeah man. i didnt know if i was going to, then i got bored and decided too. i figured i've been taking so many pictures, might as well sit down and do it. of course i skipped a ton of stuff. you doing anything to yours yet?

oh and that's when my work bench was clean! ha. the floor is cleaner than my bench, because i dont like laying in dirt.
I havent done anything yet. Just started cleaning up the body and a couple rust spots. Im on break from school so im gonna start cutting out the floor pans, replacing them, and putting down some liner.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #32
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

dude crow hunting is so much fun i cant even describe it. crows actually are a detriment to many other birds. they account for a huge loss in the duck and turkey population eating eggs from the nest. and since i like to hunt ducks and turkeys, why not take some crows while im at it. they make good coyote bait too. i never thought id learn so much about speakers and amps by hunting crows, but if you want to have a good ecaller, you will, ha.

thats cool though, i had the jeep for over 4 years before i started doing anything to it. i have a box of raptor liner sitting at my dads house, its been there for a while, i wish i had it here to put in. i dont know if i have enough time now before i move though.

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #33
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

so with a quick search on the forum, i found some plans for a tire carrier/bumper. thank you unknown jeep forum member.

im not making the tire carrier portion now. no need for it and i can always come back later.
tirecarrierdimensions.png  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #34
TSCHNEIDER
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
dude crow hunting is so much fun i cant even describe it. crows actually are a detriment to many other birds. they account for a huge loss in the duck and turkey population eating eggs from the nest. and since i like to hunt ducks and turkeys, why not take some crows while im at it. they make good coyote bait too. i never thought id learn so much about speakers and amps by hunting crows, but if you want to have a good ecaller, you will, ha.

thats cool though, i had the jeep for over 4 years before i started doing anything to it. i have a box of raptor liner sitting at my dads house, its been there for a while, i wish i had it here to put in. i dont know if i have enough time now before i move though.
We have crows all over and they make a ton of noise.

I'll start a thread once I start a project work starting a thread about...

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ends cut
2012-05-15_14-13-52_396.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #36
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCHNEIDER View Post
We have crows all over and they make a ton of noise.

I'll start a thread once I start a project work starting a thread about...
yeah i wouldnt mind doing a few crow sets in eastern ohio fields.

thats how i felt too.

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

boxed in, welded and cleaned up. i wanted 2x5 tubing but noone had it. all i could find was the 2x4 tubing. i noticed that whoever posted these plans used 2x4, so i went ahead with it.
2012-05-15_15-52-01_617.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #38
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

all clamped up to see how its going to look. tomorrow im going to make the mounts to actually get it on the jeep. i was going to buy a bumper fab kit from a to z fabworks, but remembered that there is a local fab shop down the road. he's going to make me the d-ring mounts and reciever hitch to put in for 50 bucks. so all told ill have about 75 bucks into this bumper (minus some paint and a few odds and ends i already have). im actually going to see if he could fab up some rock sliders and ill go back to the scrap yard to get some square tube to put some steps on them.
2012-05-15_15-55-25_452.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i didnt get as far as i would have liked today. i went fishing in the morning and didnt get back until around noon. after that i started building mounts for the bumper. basically im going to use the original mounting location and add two 1/2" bolts to the opposite side of each frame rail. i am then going to fab some gussets to secure the mounting locations to the frame. that box end is just a spacer to bring the bumper out from the frame some. i got the idea from a to z fabworks kit. they use a solid peice of bar though.

im having to cut everything with my reciprocating saw, and it takes more to get through 3/16's than what i thought it would. plans for tonight so i wont be able to work on it till tomorrow.
2012-05-16_17-32-54_264.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #40
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i did however get the new cover for the chain oil in for my rescued chainsaw. ready to go now, just need some chain oil
2012-05-16_17-33-07_322.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #41
RedStep
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know this is a little old but how hard was it to replace the clutch and how long did it take you? My TJ's going to need a new one fairly soon and the guy at the place I bought it from said it would be around $800 to replace! After seeing that a basic clutch kit is like $180 I'm totally convinced I want to do it myself to save a ton of money, but admittedly I'm no expert when it comes to wrenching. Do you think it's wiser to do it myself and run the risk of doing something wrong or just pay to have it dome?
RedStep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #42
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

replacing the clutch really is not that hard at all. its all the little things that make it more difficult. if you havent taken off your skid plate in a while, i would expect those bolts to be pretty rusty and possibly strip. the nutserts are also notorious for breaking loose.

the throw out bearing was possibly the biggest pain for me. there is a trick to pack the area behind the bearing full of grease and use a socket to push into the middle of the bearing (and smack it with a hammer). it will then push the grease, which will push the bearing out. well that didnt work for me...i had to use a small die grinder on my dremel to slowly work at it to get it out.

if you get a transmission jack from harbor frieght and use their 20% off coupon, thats an invaluable tool. they also have similar models at northern tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-capacity-transmission-jack-39178.html

ill post up a couple of pictures, and you can decide if you want to tackle the job. if youve never done it, i would give it a whole weekend (plus friday night, even try to take out the skid plate bolts the weekend before to see if youll be dealing with stripped bolts/broken nutserts).

The Build

Last edited by cfmiller58; 05-16-2012 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: clarity
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

LUK clutch from Ebay. total cost was 103 dollars shipped to my door. you can also find them at pep boys for around 110-120 IIRC. you will definitely want a LUK, and you dont need the gold model. the regular one is just fine
1332576506245.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #44
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you can see where i slowly worked at the throwout bearing with a soft dremel die. make sure you get this out and replace it with the one supplied with the kit. mostly it seemed that anyone i asked had no problems. mine was a bear to get out.
1332576569589.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

youll need one of these sockets for the two bolts at the top of the transmission. e10 is the one you need IIRC. i got the whole set off of ebay for like 15 bucks, you can get them at sears too. a quick search on the forum will verify which one you need.
2012-05-16_22-35-05_557.jpg  

The Build

Tags
custom bumper , novak , ucf uhc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.