The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > The Unemployed / Waiting to Start Work Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallCrawling View Post
I replaced the clutch on my TJ a year ago, not something I'd ever want to do again!! So I can always appreciate someone who does their own work and doesn't drop it off at a garage
i didnt find it that bad. it was a pain to get the tranny to line up. i picked up a harbor frieght tranny jack which has been invaluable. has helped with that and my axle swap. i hear you on not taking it to a shop. there are users here every day that post prices for shop work and its unbelievable.

The Build
cfmiller58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

in with the cure. dana 44 off of craigslist. 1200 for the 44 and the matching 30. added bonus of going from 3.07 gears to 3.73 gears

i had to take those lower control arms off in favor of the stock ones. theyre only 1/4" longer than the stockers, i didnt realize how much of a difference it made. live and learn

the 44 came with the calipers, but i ordered all new lines from 4wd hardware. i also went with upper control arms from savvy. i feel into the group of people that were waiting for parts while gerald was at KOH, but it was well worth the wait.
1333130853511.jpg   1333135217274.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

all matched up lookin good
1333305201920.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #19
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i drove around without the front driveshaft for a week or two before i got to the front. i put the aussie in while i was waiting. i've had the aussie on the shelf for over two years (a year of that i spent deployed, so i guess that doesnt count)

i think thats the only pic i have of putting the aussie in unfortunately. i dont have a vice so i just used some clamps to hold it to my bench

i used the shafts from my old axle. i had just replaced the ujoints and unit bearings. i was not about to loose out on that. i have the others sitting on the side for trail spares. since these axles came from an 05 unlimted, i had to make sure to use the rotors from my old axle to match up with the unit bearings.
1333636177042.jpg   1333482349915.jpg   1333731042661.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #20
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i had my old axles sitting in the garage for what seemed like months. just taking up space. a friend of mine offered to help me take them over to the scrap yard, hopefully to get a couple bucks to sink back into the jeep. no dice, scrap yard was closed. so we ran over to the local recycling yard. as we pulled up i spotted this gem amongst a group of old lawn mowers. the person that runs the yard actually let us drop off the old axles, and as we did i tossed this in the back of the truck before we left. i cleaned it up, regapped the spark plug, and tried to start it up. sure enough it turned over with the fumes that were left in it. i ran to wal mart to get a small gas can and some two cycle engine oil. when i got back i filled it up and tried to start it again. fired up and ran awesome...BONUS!!! a free stihl chainsaw. all that was missing was a cap for the chain oil, 8 bucks off of ebay and should be here this weekend. makes me want to go cut some cord wood now.
1337128956551.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i didnt forget the interior. leather seats from a 2000 grand cherokee, a nice leather shift boot (from the redlinegoods vendor here on the forum), to get rid of the old accordion, and an auto dimming rear view mirror.

i ran the wires through the window channel and it actually looks pretty clean. i dont have the power hooked up to the seats, the only function that will work is the recline function. they are bolted right up to the original brackets.
2012-04-16_19-12-29_159.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #22
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and here we are to as she sits now. remember how those wheels looked? horrible. after a ton of searching here on the forum, pirate and craigslist, i finally found a set of wheels. i wanted moabs from a rubicon, but couldnt find any for weeks. why is it that i always see them for sale when i dont need them? i ended up finding these canyons at the jeep store north of atlanta with the khumo ATs 32x11.50 on them for 300 bucks. they originally wanted 400, but the salesman wasnt in and his helper guy let them go for 300. i figured great, i couldnt even find 4 of the wheels alone at a local junk yard for less than 300, so with the tires, thats a deal. they had about 90% tread on them when i got them. i just had them rebalanced.
2012-04-27_13-52-59_72.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i always think im done for a little while but new things keep popping up. new list (and not in numerical order....whatever comes up first):

1. rock sliders (have been trying unsuccessfully to get a set of rubi sliders. i may see what the local fab shop can do)
2. a matching sized spare tire. it would suck for one of those front tires to go out then have to move a rear one to the front and put the current spare on the rear)
3. bumpers
4. anything cool i find on craigslist

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

as it happens, i called up the local steel dealer out of curiosity today to find out what it would cost to build a rear bumper. they said stop by but they may not have what i need, but i could take a look. when i went over they of course did not, and only sell 20' sticks. way more than what i need. they suggested that i check out a local scrap yard i had never heard of. so i went over and found exactly what i would need to start making a bumper. total cost, 23 dollars. so the rear bumper project begins.
2012-05-15_12-20-27_762.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
TSCHNEIDER
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You started a build thread! I started looking at this thread and got to the pic of you with the crow like "I know that dude". The build is coming along, keep us posted.
PS clean up that work bench. It looks like 30 hillbillys are working there!

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #26
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCHNEIDER View Post
You started a build thread! I started looking at this thread and got to the pic of you with the crow like "I know that dude". The build is coming along, keep us posted.
PS clean up that work bench. It looks like 30 hillbillys are working there!
haha yeah man. i didnt know if i was going to, then i got bored and decided too. i figured i've been taking so many pictures, might as well sit down and do it. of course i skipped a ton of stuff. you doing anything to yours yet?

oh and that's when my work bench was clean! ha. the floor is cleaner than my bench, because i dont like laying in dirt.

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and since you mention that schneider, here's a pic of my ecaller i meant to post a while ago. i have it all torn appart right now to put a bigger amp in it. crow season is coming up here in TN
1332576583758.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #28
TSCHNEIDER
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmiller58 View Post
and here we are to as she sits now. remember how those wheels looked? horrible. after a ton of searching here on the forum, pirate and craigslist, i finally found a set of wheels. i wanted moabs from a rubicon, but couldnt find any for weeks. why is it that i always see them for sale when i dont need them? i ended up finding these canyons at the jeep store north of atlanta with the khumo ATs 32x11.50 on them for 300 bucks. they originally wanted 400, but the salesman wasnt in and his helper guy let them go for 300. i figured great, i couldnt even find 4 of the wheels alone at a local junk yard for less than 300, so with the tires, thats a deal. they had about 90% tread on them when i got them. i just had them rebalanced.
The wheels look way better. The old ones look like the came off an old Camero. That 44 you got looks super clean.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]Vape?[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[url]http://whitestagvapor.com/[/url]
TSCHNEIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #29
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

and another one for you schneider....fishing on the job
2012-05-04_19-26-51_677.jpg  

The Build
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
cfmiller58
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSCHNEIDER View Post
The wheels look way better. The old ones look like the came off an old Camero. That 44 you got looks super clean.
yeah both were clean, i was pretty happy. though the pinion seal is leaking on the front now, and i dont like anything that leaks. its not bad though, im happy, ha

those wheels actually came off of my brothers 90 YJ. he put them on there when we were deployed. they only reason i kept them was because the tires were still good.

The Build

Tags
custom bumper , novak , ucf uhc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.