Now that the transfer case will mate up to the transmission, I want to start mocking up where the engine / trans / transfer case will go and solve any problems that may arise. I want to decide if it makes sense to use the factory t-case mounting location and preserve the existing DS lengths, or move it all forward and inch or two. I haven't taken the emissions crap out of the Ram yet, and I need to.
And, I want to paint the frame section in the engine bay. Don't want to do that until the welding is done. And I need to do those brake lines, but they go right over where I want to weld and paint!
Factory t-case location:
- Use factory DS lengths, so I can get this heep driving with no axle / driveshaft modification, but long term the DS length is shorter.
- Requires Electric fan conversion. More wiring, albeit minor. Probably less expensive than two new driveshafts.
- Potentially need new headers.
Forward t-case location:
- New DS required before I can run this. Doesn't make sense to financially to buy new DS for the 30/35; I have to go right into axle swap and fab. Doesn't make sense to keep the 2 joint rear, which means I'm getting into the SYE install and 2LO kit I had planned. I knew I'd have to open the T-case again after the input gear install, but I want to do 2LO at the same time as the SYE.
- But long term, this can give me an inch or two longer DS, which will be nice.
- Mechanical fan retained, need 4.0 fan shroud.
- Possible shifter location issues?
- Skid plate modification / fabrication. Again something on the long term list that I didn't want to get into until this thing is running.
- Factory exhaust manifolds will likely work.
Anyways, that's my thought process. I'm leaning toward keeping the stock t-case location, but once this engine is positioned, it's not going anywhere. I know you want to see the wiring, but I keep putting it off. I've been studying, but that's about it. The harnesses are still in a pile in the garage. Maybe if I leave them long enough, they'll just mate themselves.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Last edited by Jason; 12-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Reason: Added headers