Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #586
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I say make inners....always a pain trying to clean out the engine bay.

Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #587
tyjreid

Jason, I've know you've discussed it before but, when you wired your speedo did you us the two wires from the dodge plug and a 5 volt supply from the ecu?
tyjreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM   #588
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't remember, so that means it must have been straight forward.

All the speed sensor is is a 5V, ground, and signal to the PCM. I seem to recall that I had to wire in all the jeep stuff from the fire wall back (Neutral sense, speedo, fuel level) into the Dodge harness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #589
silvertub2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome job!, I wanna do similar swap, you should swap axles out with the dodge lol be a cool rig
silvertub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #590
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Welllll... Since the weather is getting better, and my travel has settled down a little bit, I've been doing a little work on the ol' girl. I have many other projects that have been waiting all winter, so I won't be able to make serious progress here, but some is better than none. I also may try to move, and this Jeep might get sold at the same time, so everything is kind of up in the air at the moment. But, on to the progress:

The turn signal stalk never worked right. Turning the steering wheel wouldn't cancel it in one direction, and the other direction didn't really work at all. I finally replaced that yesterday. I know this seems minor, but it was terribly annoying.

Last year I scored a windshield to replace my very cracked one. It was so bad that the wiper blades got tore up and it wouldn't clear the windshield in a rain. Yuck. I also needed sun visors, so I asked for the whole frame which ended up being very clean rust-wise. The guy that pulled it had trouble with the bolts and torched them out. I used my impact driver and they came free pretty easy.

Since I won't likely see the bottom of this windshield frame again, I shot some primer on it and under the hinges to prevent rust. There was a tiny bit of rust that I sanded off by hand. I am going to use my existing hinges, which were also in good shape. Just needed a little touching up.

Quote:
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:46 PM   #591
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Windshield and frame were successfully replaced. It was great to have functioning windshield wipers.

I drove it today. A few observations:

- I haven't started it in a few days. It cranked extra-long, then puffed a bit of smoke out of the tail pipe when it finally started. Ran fine after that.

- It was windy. The hood was flopping around a lot. It's held down by a bungee cord and the factory safety latch. Passing gravel trains made the hood jump enough to make me nervous. I need to engineer a permanent latch, like pronto.

- The shocks are super craptastic. I won't replace them, but I noticed them clomping around in front while I drove it today.

- I still enjoy romping around in this little *****.

Quote:
Unread 07-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #592
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
my travel has settled down a little bit
Famous last words, I suppose. I've been on the road every other week, then trying to catch up with house work and other normal things when I'm home, so little Jeep work has done. This work project should end in September, so hopefully I will be around more.

I did build some inner fenders, mostly to hold the stuff under the hood (fuse box, coolant overflow, etc.)

I'm still not happy with these things, but I continued to massage them until they were acceptable. They are painted and ready to go.

I finally cut the holes for the flush mounted tail lights:

I started sanding and prepping for paint. The black color on this Jeep was some rubberized or textured paint. Soft and cuddy; hard to sand off. I also found a little rust when sanding. These things will need to get patched:

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.