Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #46
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thought you would find this interesting...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj...-bars-1441813/

Apparently early 4 banger TJs lacked sway bars? Which would explain a lot huh?

--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #47
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rears, yes, some early 4 bangers didn't have them. All TJs had fronts as far as I'm aware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #48
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Rears, yes, some early 4 bangers didn't have them. All TJs had fronts as far as I'm aware.
Oh yours was missing the front?

Unread 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #49
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lol, yep. I never thought to look for a rear sway bar.

I guess that's ok though. I want to try out an anti-rock sway bar, and I can't on my 05 because of my bumper design. This will also give me an opportunity to design a front that will work with the anti-rock.

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 11:46 AM   #50
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I do have a rear sway bar. If it was optional with early 4 cylinders, I'm surprised mine has one, as it pretty much lacks every other option.

Moving along:

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #51
zjrog
1995 ZJ 

Wiring isn't much fun. Last summer my son and I mashed his 90 Ranger 2.3 with his 94 Explorer 4.0. While techinally all bolted in and swapped easily, I did have to alter the interior harness and the frame/taillights/fuel pump harness. Newer stuff was easier. Then again, we were working on vehicles in the same essential family. I'm interested in your progress. Subscribed!
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #52
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
Wiring isn't much fun. Last summer my son and I mashed his 90 Ranger 2.3 with his 94 Explorer 4.0. While techinally all bolted in and swapped easily, I did have to alter the interior harness and the frame/taillights/fuel pump harness. Newer stuff was easier. Then again, we were working on vehicles in the same essential family. I'm interested in your progress. Subscribed!
Thanks! But thanks...

I'm not looking forward to the wiring, which pretty much brings me to the point that I am at right now. I have the wiring harnesses freed and the grille and fenders removed from the Jeep. All that needs to happen is undo the fuel line and starter wire and I should be able to pull the 4 cylinder.

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #53
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Good progress jason. You think you will come out ahead after selling all these parts/engines? I mean besides the cost of betty.
Unread 12-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #54
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe. Ram has good axles, wheels / tires, and everything except the body is there. I hope to at least make the cost of the Ram back, if not a little more to offset the cost of the conversion hardware. Doubt the 4 cylinder and ax-5 will bring much. I did notice that the block is very dry; not oily or grimy like many motors of this age, so that's a good sign.

I was also looking at the Pennzoil oil filter that it is currently equipped with. It reads "Made in the USA" on the label. That's a good thing. That got me looking at the ones I have on my shelf; a Mopar MO-090 (used by the Jeep 4.0 and Dodge 360) and a Ac Delco PF47 (used by every common Chevy engine). Both of those were also made in the USA as well. Also good.

Another note about oil filters, I picked up the Mopar filter because I know they are good and that's what the book calls for. My 2005 with the 4.0 uses one too; however, I stopped using them long ago because the Motorcraft FL-1A fits the engine, and it's about a third larger. (I also had Fords for a long time, and the Ford V8s used this filter.) I believe that the extra filter media can't hurt anything. If I can clear it, I might switch the 360 to the FL-1A filter.

I started spinning the t-case skid bolts and all on one side loosened freely. I got interrupted and didn't try the other side yet, but that's a good sign.

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #55
zjrog
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks! But thanks...

I'm not looking forward to the wiring, which pretty much brings me to the point that I am at right now. I have the wiring harnesses freed and the grille and fenders removed from the Jeep. All that needs to happen is undo the fuel line and starter wire and I should be able to pull the 4 cylinder.

I spent a lot of time cutting and soldering and used marine grade heatshrink. And a little time re-pinning a few connectors.

This was before I wrapped this section OE style. Pain in the butt. But the truck started with the first twist of the key. So it was worth it all.

I wish you luck! Patience and document!
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #56
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe. Ram has good axles, wheels / tires, and everything except the body is there. I hope to at least make the cost of the Ram back, if not a little more to offset the cost of the conversion hardware. Doubt the 4 cylinder and ax-5 will bring much. I did notice that the block is very dry; not oily or grimy like many motors of this age, so that's a good sign.

I was also looking at the Pennzoil oil filter that it is currently equipped with. It reads "Made in the USA" on the label. That's a good thing. That got me looking at the ones I have on my shelf; a Mopar MO-090 (used by the Jeep 4.0 and Dodge 360) and a Ac Delco PF47 (used by every common Chevy engine). Both of those were also made in the USA as well. Also good.

Another note about oil filters, I picked up the Mopar filter because I know they are good and that's what the book calls for. My 2005 with the 4.0 uses one too; however, I stopped using them long ago because the Motorcraft FL-1A fits the engine, and it's about a third larger. (I also had Fords for a long time, and the Ford V8s used this filter.) I believe that the extra filter media can't hurt anything. If I can clear it, I might switch the 360 to the FL-1A filter.

I started spinning the t-case skid bolts and all on one side loosened freely. I got interrupted and didn't try the other side yet, but that's a good sign.
Cool, making some money back is probably the 2nd coolest part of these swaps.

I run that FL-1A as well, same train of though...cant hurt thats for sure.

And as far as the t-case skid bolts spinning out, you lucky lucky man. The frame must be in real good shape. Did you spray them, heat them or use an impact on them?
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #57
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
This was before I wrapped this section OE style. Pain in the butt. But the truck started with the first twist of the key.
That's pretty much the same look I have on my face pondering these harness.

What did you use to de-pin the harnesses? I have hook tools and tiny screwdrivers that I've used for getting pins out out of harnesses on the rare occasion that I've needed to, but wonder if there's something better to use for a project of this scale.

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #58
vehisic

huurrryyyyy we want vids!
vehisic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #59
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
And as far as the t-case skid bolts spinning out, you lucky lucky man. The frame must be in real good shape. Did you spray them, heat them or use an impact on them?
I sprayed them with PB, but there's no great way to get at them with the spray. I just hosed the general direction of the bolts through the holes in the frame. I let it sit for a few hours while I fussed with the fenders. (I broke a few of the nut clips that hold them on, and had to get my cutter out for one bolt.) I was planning on heating and using my impact, but I thought I'd give it a try with my breaker bar and they just started spinning. I thought they may be broken already, but they were indeed spinning out.

There's a little scaling near the factory holes in the frame, but it's in very good shape.

Quote:
Unread 12-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #60
zjrog
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
That's pretty much the same look I have on my face pondering these harness.

What did you use to de-pin the harnesses? I have hook tools and tiny screwdrivers that I've used for getting pins out out of harnesses on the rare occasion that I've needed to, but wonder if there's something better to use for a project of this scale.

Pretty much what I used. I'm sure there are better tools for that, but I can't afford them. Just remember to take a break when you can't tell the colors apart anymore.

Incidentally, I may be putting everything from the 90 Ranger into a 85 Bronco 2... And for some stupid reason I want to do an Intrepid 3.5 into a XJ. With a 5 liter stroke. If I have some spare time and money...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.