Time for an update. Betty got a little work tonight. Good news/bad news about my job. And, I learned a lesson about saving a buck.
I've been very busy at my job, and life in general. Summer around here means camping and wheeling, so I don't get much done in the way of Jeep building. Fall means getting ready for the winter. My job is always busy, but I've just been moved to another job. The work will be different, which is good because I needed a change. Bad because it is no less busy, and probably moreso. I don't expect to have much time to work on this anytime soon, but I finally found enough time to get working on the fenders.
I needed to cut the tube on both ends; too long on both sides and not angled right for the grille. I beat the bracket into shape where the fenders attach to the grille. The bracket is straight and the grille, obviously, curved.
Still need some fine tune the fit, but this is what it looks like.
Not terrible, but more messing around than I would have liked. Then I tossed the top piece of metal on to find this gap:
There's a few inches by the grill, tapering all the way back to where the indentation is in the hood for the hold-down. The grille bracket also sticks out in front of the grille a little and will need to be trimmed.
Remember that I bought these fenders as a DIY kit, pre-cut from a vendor on here. In addition to these issues, I had to have the brackets re-sent to me because they were cut wrong, twice. I have the tools and ability to make my own fenders, but I didn't want to spend a bunch of time on making them -- I have other things to keep me busy with this build, so I bought this pre-cut kit assuming everything would be premeasured and simply need assembly. Also the cheapest ones I could find. Lesson learned.
At this point I need to decide if I want to replace the ill fitting piece, or just buy another set of fenders.