Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM   #541
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutoOfMyMindCJ View Post
My basic understanding is that you want to modify the c103 and c104 plugs on the engine side of the harness to retain the plugs. basically the donor does have these plugs so you are doing the splicing from the engine side of the jeep harness and the engine side on the donor harness. In doing this you will keep the firewall side of the jeep harness (including the PDC) alone and stock appearing. In spending an hour or so staring at my two harnesses this is what seemed to make logical sense to me, however I am often wrong lol. Thanks for the help it is appreciated.
The donor does not have the C103 and C104 plugs, at least not in my case or any other I've seen. The Jeep was designed so that you could remove the black and white PCM plugs and all the associated wiring and leave the Grey PCM plug in the Jeep. The C103 and C104 give a means to separate the Grey plug wires and some of the senors and what not aft of the firewall. Pretty sure I made my splices after the plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #542
OutoOfMyMindCJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry that is what I meant. Thanks for the clarification, it does seem that after you just sit down and stare at the two harnesses it becomes more self evident of what you need to do. How many hours do you think you had total in doing your wiring?
OutoOfMyMindCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #543
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think I had it done in 4 days, but I work slow and methodical. I also went from a manual to an auto, which added a little complexity.

Quote:
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #544
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any news to share with the class?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM   #545
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Very little to share right now because it is summer and very little seems to occur Jeep wise in the summer around here. I have another project in full swing right now (non-Jeep, therefore uninteresting), so Jeep stuff is on the back burner.

I DID have a little time to start test fitting my high line tube fender kit and found some disturbing things. The holes on the mounting brackets don't line up on the grille or tub.

On the tub with the bracket positioned as low as possible, the bracket is about 3/4" too high. They are slotted a bit, which allows for some up and down movement, but not enough to make the piece mate nicely with the tub. The blue tape is for contrast only:

This also caused the top to be too high:

Now, the tub side isn't that big of a deal. I can modify the bracket to fit and it would look fine by cutting the top to fit the tub profile and filling/welding/whatever'ing the bottom to look good.

The grille was a different story however. The holes on the bracket were cut 3" on center.

However, my grille has the holes spaced about 2 9/16". If I put the center bolt in with the piece slid all the way DOWN in the slot, I can just get the top bolt in, but the bottom bolt hole isn't even close. If I slide the piece all the way UP, I can only get the center bolt in; neither the top nor the bottom bolt will go in. I couldn't get it to photograph well, but if you blow this pic up, you can see a part of the hole showing through the pre-cut holes in the bracket, and there's no way that all three bolts will go in:

Now, I could modify this piece to work too, but it would either look like hell because those slots would be opened way up, or it would take a lot of time to fill in and re-drill those holes appropriately. I bought a pre-cut kit to save time, but if I have to re-do all the cuts, then I might as well have built them myself from the start.

I emailed the vendor that supplied these, and he indicated that new ones would be cut and sent. Haven't seen them yet, but I believe it was only a week ago, so I'm not terribly concerned since I'm not working real hard on it anyways.

Transmission is dripping again, but it doesn't appear to be from the shift shaft seal that I replaced. It seems to be the pan gasket because it's not wet higher than that. I haven't had the time to look harder than that.

Quote:
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #546
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tiny little update:

I tightened those pan bolts a bit. Half of them were loose and needed 1/2 turn or better to be snug.

Since my fenders are long gone, and no word yet on my replacement parts, I put some turn signals in the bumper on a break from work.

Parking lights:

Turn:

Quote:
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #547
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like your build has been going as fast as mine lately. I have a question with regards to the OD switch, I can't seem to turn overdrive off. I was wondering how you wired in your switch, I'm sure it's in the thread somewhere and I missed it. Thanks.
milemarker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #548
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, not much progress.

I have some other projects that have been keeping me busy. Plus trying to enjoy the short summer in Michigan and work on the other Jeep, I haven't had much time.

I never wired the OD defeat. I have a wire under the shifter taped up. All it should require is a momentary switch or button to disable the OD. A short to ground is what triggers the OD defeat.

Quote:
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #549
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's what i figured but for some reason it won't kick off OD. Time to get the multi meter out I guess. Thanks for the reply.
milemarker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #550
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Did the GF finally get a new daily driver?

Oh yeah, nice jeep btw.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #551
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by --chris-- View Post
Did the GF finally get a new daily driver?

Oh yeah, nice jeep btw.

You bet she did. We call it "the roller skate."

Quote:
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #552
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

You bet she did. We call it "the roller skate."
Thats hilarious, a buddy of mine has owned two of those. The first time I seen it he said "Im not sure why they made it look like a roller skate, but they did".

He "wrecked" his first one hitting a traffic cone at freeway speeds. Just a heads up lol.
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #553
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Say whatever you want about it, it gets good MPG, and it isn't terrible to drive (pretty much the anti-Jeep? Lol.). I bought hers with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and maintence. Her old car was getting downright unsafe. I'm just happy she's in a car I don't have to work on or worry about.

Quote:
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #554
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Say whatever you want about it, it gets good MPG, and it isn't terrible to drive (pretty much the anti-Jeep? Lol.). I bought hers with a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and maintence. Her old car was getting downright unsafe. I'm just happy she's in a car I don't have to work on or worry about.
Im not knocking, hell I am eye balling them too! I just laughed when he told me the insurance company "totaled" it for hitting a traffic cone.
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #555
NeoAnderson
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesomesauce. Yer thread has been invaluable for my own 5.9 swap. Best mod ive done yet. Soooo much fun now! I went with an nv4500 tranny and couldnt be happier with that too.

Whats the latest on Ugly Betty? Give us some more gossip to talk about. :-)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.