Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #481
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
Dear god hopefully more than 4mpg. :P I will be driving mine for hours to get to trails. 4mpg would mean it's time for a bigger fuel tank. :P

Any other issues rearing their head?
No swap related issues. The engine cranks a little longer than I would like it to, but it doesn't crank slow or not start. It just takes a second longer than I would like to fire. The park/neutral switch is a little sensitive. The lever has to be all the way forward or it won't crank. (I can probably adjust the cable but haven't bothered.) There's some kind of leak in the fuel tank. I still smell fuel from time to time, and when I fill the tank it splatters fuel from somewhere on the top of the tank. It's not the fill hose, and I haven't bothered to look past that since I'll probably end up with a fuel cell. Fan is still wired to a switch, but I wasn't going to wrap that up until I get the fenders done. I just bought a 70 amp relay the other day to be the main fan control. (Not easy to find.)

That's all I can really think of. You need to get going on yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #482
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/pts/3675147279.html Not sure of your exact plans...

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #483
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was looking for a Dana 70-U or 70-1SU. But that looks like a good deal. Email on the way. Good looking out.

Quote:
Unread 03-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #484
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No problem

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #485
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
No swap related issues. The engine cranks a little longer than I would like it to, but it doesn't crank slow or not start. It just takes a second longer than I would like to fire. The park/neutral switch is a little sensitive. The lever has to be all the way forward or it won't crank. (I can probably adjust the cable but haven't bothered.) There's some kind of leak in the fuel tank. I still smell fuel from time to time, and when I fill the tank it splatters fuel from somewhere on the top of the tank. It's not the fill hose, and I haven't bothered to look past that since I'll probably end up with a fuel cell. Fan is still wired to a switch, but I wasn't going to wrap that up until I get the fenders done. I just bought a 70 amp relay the other day to be the main fan control. (Not easy to find.)

That's all I can really think of. You need to get going on yours.
As far as the engine cranking over.. my buddy's been keeping his 5.2L alive for a long time. He said that a nice healthy Magnum will spark up pretty quick, but that it's not much of a concern when they don't, either. His takes an honest few seconds to even start up, but it starts every single time.

I know I know. It's a little difficult for me. I share the garage with my father, and more often than not he'll lay out lumber or crown moldings or whatnot on top of my seats or tools, so I'm finally moving the Jeep to my girlfriend's dad's big boy full shop to get more than a foot of room on each side. :P Gonna use the Ram one last time as a truck to flat tow it (guess I'll have to strap the hood down). That plus essays and final exams coming up.. it's gonna be a little while yet.

Anyway! What's the plans with one tons? Smooth bottom 70 in the rear from what I see, likely HP60 up front? Keeping the coils? Stretch, etc?
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #486
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm still doing my homework on the axles, and I need to paint this pig first. I've discussed it a little here and there, (and welcome discussion from those who know more than me) but no firm decisions. And right now, another project is taking up most of my time so I haven't had enough time to research what works and what won't.

I like the idea of the smooth 70 because it nets you a smidge more ground clearance. I believe there is a fairly narrow one available as well (63" WMS?), but I'm not 100% on what application. I would be happy with that width, being a little wider than the 60.5" TJ width.

I'm even less sure on the front axle. The HP60 seems to be the holy grail, but also comes with the highest price. I may have driveshaft interference issue with a HP axle of any variety. Right now my front DS is very close (less than 1 inch, probably less than 1/2") to my transmission mount when on the bumpstops. That may be less of an issue when I tuck the drivetrain up, but it's something I need to account for. That being said, I may be able to use a less desirable, but cheaper, LP front axle. I believe that there's an 8 lug variant of the low pinion D44 that might do the trick, but I'm not sure how that will hold up to a big tire.

It's all open for discussion at this point, because I'm really not well versed enough in the big axles at this point to make a solid decision. It's likely that I will end up with whatever I run across for the cheapest cost.

I'll be sticking with coils most likely. Coil overs would be nice, but that's a whole 'nother area I'd need to research a lot more. Coil overs seem to offer a little more flexibility in where I can put the mounts, but not sure if it would benefit me enough to justify the expense. I want to stretch a reasonable amount. Whatever I can get away with in the front without moving the steering box (2"?) and a bit in the rear as well. I'm already shopping for fuel cells to make room for the axle. There's something wrong with the stock fuel tank, so it's gotta go anyways.

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #487
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am working on my wiring now and can say the ALLDATA diagrams are awesome. In the end did you find the 3 degree angle idea for the motor mounts? I have mine a tacked at 3 degrees as well, just wondering if you would change it at all? What size tires are you going to run? I was considering 38-40s with a HP dana 60 (which I can't find anywhere), and rear 14 bolt (cheap but huge!!). Now I have dicided a waggy 44 front (chromo shafts), and a Dana 60 rear (35 spilne), and 37s-38s. I net the same pumpkin clearance as a 39-40 on 60, and 14, but can find these axles everywhere. I did some measuring and i think a HP 44 could work from a ford but than I would be full width... hardcore look but not hardcore gear. I may still use the HP 44 just cut it down to match the 8 bolt rear. I think too much is put into over building these jeeps as most never wheel to there potential. We have an old waggy on the farm, hillbilly everything running 40s on factory 44s. We folded the jeep in half before we killed the axles. That thing jumped river banks, and was pulled from the creek more times then i can remember. i will post pics of the old waggy once the snow melt and i can get to it.
milemarker01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #488
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I feel pretty good about the 3º angle. I think I might have been closer to 2º though, don't remember? I wouldn't change that. Keep in mind too, I made that determination with the drivetrain pushed all the way up in to the tub, and right now its a bit lower than my ultimate final height. I did recently break a transmission mount thought, so maybe it's not ok?

If I had the clearance, I would have liked to lower the engine mounts a smidge. I know this is opposite of what most do, but it would have fixed some clearance issues on the top of the engine, helped with using a mechanical fan, and lower my COG a bit.

I'm probably going to be on 40s. If I'm going to the trouble of swapping axles, particularly tons, it doesn't make sense to go with anything less.

I think a "real" D44 (like the Ford or Waggy) is up to the task of spinning that size tire.

I do have a line on a narrow 14 bolt from a chassis-cab truck. The price is right, so I might pick it up. That would basically commit me to shortening whatever front axle I end up with. I don't know as much about the 14 bolt as I do the Dana axles. They're huge, strong, and cheap. That's all I know.

Quote:
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #489
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Its nice to find a thread that actually seems to be following a magnum swap to completion. It made my life so much easier... oh my wife is happy cause I spend less time surfin jeep threads. Keep it up, lots of us appreciate it (ever up here in Canada, Eh!!) .
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #490
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No problem. Glad you found it helpful.

The engine swap is basically "done". There are a few little items that need to be addressed, but are waiting on other things to be complete. I'm still collecting a few parts here and there, and waiting for the weather to warm up a little so I can start thinking about paint. I'm working on another project right now, and once I get that knocked out, I'll be back to this build.

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #491
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Is there an easy way to identify the wires? for example on the C103 plug Pin #1 F142 20 OR/DG. i understand the "F" fused curcuit and the colors but where do I find the info on what it controls "f142". I am using the DIY alldata site. When i look at the pcm plugs it tells you the fuction of each terminal but these plus are not described. The problem is i can't figure out the PDC wiring from the dodge, as to the purticular function of the remaining wires unless i just trace them from one end to another. Am i right to assume there must be an easier way. This is my first experience with Alldata, which for the most part seems reallt good.
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #492
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

C103 is the plug or harness.
Pin #1 is the pin in the harness.
F142 is the circuit. The "F" is the main part of the circuit, there's a code for these somewhere.
20 is the gauge of wire for the circuit.
OR/DG (Orange / Dark green) is the wire color.

The pinout diagrams are a pretty good indication of what the circuit controls. If it doesn't list the component (some pinout diagrams just show circuit number), you'll have to search the schematics to see what it does. F142 is the ASD relay output, I believe. I think my colors were the other way though; DG/OR instead of OR/DG?

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #493
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, i just wasn't sure, i thought there may be an easier way. I guess i will just have to get at it.
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #494
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Quote:
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #495
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quick comment: you can snag a low pinion Dana 44, narrow track though, out of old Wagoneers. There are also old school low pinion driver-drop Dana 60s, before the venerable '78-'79 HP60s. They have weak axleshafts, but I betcha you can throw in 35 spline shafts with a new/used 35 spline 60 carrier. Not positive, but worth a look if you're determined to use a low-pinion for clearance.

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.