Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #466
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I also made a CB antenna mount for the rear bumper, installed the rest of the CB stuff and tuned the antenna. The best I could get was about 1.8:1 SWR on channels 1 and 40, with channel 19 only a little better. I re-checked everything; nothing open or shorted. I ran a ground wire to the antenna mount just to make sure it had good ground. I'm not sure what the issue is. My 2005 has all the same equipment (CB, antenna and even the same coax) and I got that at like 1.2 or 1.3. Since it's within the normal tolerance of under 2:1 I'm going to leave it for now.

Fixed some other fairly minor things. I straightened out my steering wheel because it was annoying me. There were a few holes in the body that should have had bolts or plugs that I filled in with.... bolts or plugs. Driver seat was missing a hold down bolt, and a few were missing from the sport cage.

The one interesting thing that happened is that my fuel level gauge has completely lost its mind. I filled up the other day, and before I started fiddling with the transmission, the gauge read 3/4 or so. While I had the engine tipped back, I loomed and taped up some loose wires since I could reach. When I got back in it after the repair, the fuel gauge was dead empty. Few minutes later, it went back to 3/4, then slowly fell (in 60 seconds time or so) to empty. The low fuel light came on and the chime chimed. I figured I messed up a wire or something. While I drove it here and there, it bounced around between empty and full with no real reason. I filled it up tonight anyways, because we might do some light trail running tomorrow, but the lack of a gauge is going to bug me.

Also, fuel spilled out from somewhere on top of the tank when I filled it. Same thing happened last time I filled it. That and the occasional fuel smell I get tells me there's an issue. It might be time for a fuel cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #467
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Went out to Bundy Hill offroad park today with Curt. (Rubicon0311) I loaded Betty on my trailer this morning, and noticed the fuel gauge wasn't working. I jiggled the wires that I loomed up the other day hoping to get it working. I know it was full of fuel, and I had a little one gallon can in the back just in case, so the gauge didn't really matter. I tried to start it again and it would crank but no start. I dicked with it for a bit, but couldn't get it to start. I was afraid my first wheeling adventure with this Jeep ended in my driveway.

I climbed under it and found the wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump had come unplugged. This is probably why my fuel gauge was acting funny the last few days. I plugged it back in fully, then wrapped a zip tie around it to keep it in place and it was fine.

Never been to this offroad park, but it has a nice set of trails, some big bowls, and a few good cracks. I think there are rocks somewhere, but I didn't see them. I only aired my tires down to about 15. Even with the open diffs it climbed pretty much anything. There were a few hills I need to take a few shots at, but I made it up all but one.

Drivetrain ran flawlessly, after I fixed that plug on the fuel pump. Good ECTs and oil pressure. No leaks or anything weird. My starter cable hangs kind of low, under the bellhousing. After what I drug it over today, I think I want to relocate it to the top of the transmission or along the firewall.

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #468
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Glad to hear it was something stupid on your fuel issue. Sounds like mine when the distributor was clocked about 20 degrees and it wouldn't start. Sometimes it's the little stuff thank goodness.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #469
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Me too, thanks Wes. I was seriously pissed that I worked as hard as I did to get the thing running just to have it die on the trailer. I thought I was going to miss the only little outing all winter. Fuel gauge is back to normal now too. That is it reads consistently, but is still inaccurate. But at least I know when it's empty.

They're calling for snow tomorrow, so a bath for Betty is in order today to wash the little bit of dirt off of her.

Quote:
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #470
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Me too, thanks Wes. I was seriously pissed that I worked as hard as I did to get the thing running just to have it die on the trailer. I thought I was going to miss the only little outing all winter. Fuel gauge is back to normal now too. That is it reads consistently, but is still inaccurate. But at least I know when it's empty.

They're calling for snow tomorrow, so a bath for Betty is in order today to wash the little bit of dirt off of her.
I cannot wait for this snow. We are supposed to get dumped on. Too bad my jeep is at the ac shop. Kinda ironic having ac work done in a snow storm.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #471
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I see you all are going to get a little bit of snow. But then it's going to be 55 on the weekend, so it will all melt.

I don't usually get out in the snow because my 2005 is stored all winter. I obviously drive in the snow, but it brings a whole new dynamic to offroading.

Quote:
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:21 PM   #472
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

How about them fenders??
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #473
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

In a bunch of pieces on the work bench.

I had to kick Betty out of the garage so I could pull my boat in for a little bit. I did get one flare taken off, so I look super awesome driving it down the road.

Quote:
Unread 03-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #474
milemarker01
1999 TJ Wrangler 

After all is said and done with engine, how do you find the power? As well, what are your plans for lifts and axles?
milemarker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #475
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The power is fantastic. There should be a factory option for a V8 in Wranglers.

Between idling in the driveway listening / revving the engine, and a very heavy right foot when I do drive it, I calculated about 4 MPG out of my last tank of fuel. The torque is good too, there's power right of idle.

The attractive (and brave) young lady in my passenger seat noted that it sounds like a monster truck. How could you go wrong?

It sounds like the muffler is mellowing out too. Doesn't make sense to me because there's no packing in the Flowmaster muffler, so it's more likely I'm just getting used to the noise.

Axles will most likely be one-tons. I'm still doing my homework in this department. Rear one-tons seem easy enough to find and implement. Fronts are a different story. I may go with a 3/4 ton front end, Ford 3/4 HP D44 with 8 lug outers if possible. The high-pinion may cause a clearance issue, so I may go with a LP axle to preserve uptravel. That may save me a little money using a less desirable LP axle. The suspension is going to be all custom. I'd like to 4-link the rear and 3-link in front. Springs will be chosen after I get tires to see the clearance necessary. I want to keep the suspension height as low as possible. I'm highlining the hood and cutting the rear fenders, so I will get a bit of room there, but there are also some considerations with my motor mounts and the interference on the control arms, so I have to be careful when placing the arms.

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #476
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
4 MPG
Seriously? Wow
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #477
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Seriously? Wow
I had like 30 miles on the trip, put in 7 gallons or thereabouts. That's about 4 MPG.

Remember though, much of that tank was me pissing around. Idling it so it would warm up enough for the thermostat to open or cure the paint on the exhaust. My ScanGauge reports about 10-12 MPG pretty consistently.

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #478
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I had like 30 miles on the trip, put in 7 gallons or thereabouts. That's about 4 MPG.

Remember though, much of that tank was me pissing around. Idling it so it would warm up enough for the thermostat to open or cure the paint on the exhaust. My ScanGauge reports about 10-12 MPG pretty consistently.
Ahh ok, so you technically haven't ran a tank through it as a DD. That makes sense now Just wait until you drop those 40's on there
Unread 03-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #479
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't run it as a DD, and I don't know if I'll ever run a full tank through it as a DD machine. Fuel mileage was never a concern with this project.

Quote:
Unread 03-15-2013, 01:50 PM   #480
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dear god hopefully more than 4mpg. :P I will be driving mine for hours to get to trails. 4mpg would mean it's time for a bigger fuel tank. :P

Any other issues rearing their head?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.