Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 31 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 02-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #451
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trailer. I haven't had it above 55 MPH. And even then the steering is a little vague.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #452
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Trailer. I haven't had it above 55 MPH. And even then the steering is a little vague.
Hmm, I am still waiting on a nice burnout video Bring your go pro this weekend, I am going to try to take a bunch of pics.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #453
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got you snow wheelin' in the back yard. Come on!

I'll the camera charged.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #454
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have a tendency to go on wheeling trips, but never get enough evidence of doing so.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Unread 02-26-2013, 10:14 PM   #455
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have my little still camera too. I can get some action shots.

Quote:
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #456
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Friend of mine came over on Sunday and pointed out that the engine looked a little turned in the engine bay. I know I had it straight and square when I installed it. Tonight I dropped the skid plate in preparation of fixing that seal. Found that the rear driveshaft was angled pretty badly. I know that it wasn't like that before -- the mark I made with a paint marker to reference the center of the tub was still there. Found the trans mount had broken.

Normally this is one piece:

Quote:
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #457
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow, think it's just the rust, or is the torque actually doing that?

Unread 02-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #458
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just wear. The rubber is vulcanized to the metal. After enough twisting, it fails. I just did it in, probably screwing around in the Jeep.

Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #459
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That transmission mount was never meant to be permanent. That was the trans mount from the donor truck that I just made accommodations for on the stock skid. Long term plan includes raising with a custom skid plate, requiring a new mount anyways. I bought a new trans mount, but I couldn't get the drivetrain to go back to good last night. Finished painting the bumper and gave up for the night. I'm going to take the motor mount bolts loose, lift with my cherry picker, and try to straighten it out.

Still no tool for the trans seal. I was trying to make a outing on Saturday, but I guess it's not in the cards.

Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:14 AM   #460
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #461
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

OKAY!

I loosened up the motor mounts and pitched the motor forward and back until I could shove it over. It wouldn't go as far as I would have liked it, but I pushed it over until the transfer case shifter linkage was shoved over as far as it could go. I needed an extra set of hands for that last little inch.

I torqued the motor mounts down a little better and I think it stayed. I measured a bunch and the driveshaft seems basically straight, and certainly way better than it was before. It's hard to see laying on my back under it, but it seems that the D35 pinion is offset to the passenger side a little. I remember that the Ford 8.8 was offset, but don't remember the Dana 35 being that way. I may get a novak shifter later when I tuck it, so I may be able to scoot it over more.

I finally got some rubber plugs for the floor drains. I ordered some JK plugs because the are the correct size for the TJ metal plugs. Here was my temporary fix:

I finally got her a proper rear bumper;

And some frame tie ins:

Mounted the CB to the oh **** handle on the passenger side. This keeps it up high, in my sight, and easy to grab. My 2005 CB is right by my knee and I'm not terribly pleased with it. Hopefully this works better.

I tuned the antenna real quick, just to make sure I wasn't going to blow up the radio. Seems to work ok, but I wasn't hearing any chatter. I usually do.

I also loomed up some of the loose wires on the transmission. One wire (one ****ing wire!) was just a little too short and I had to extend it. Not happy, but it's done. I still have a tiny little bit of looming to do and it's all done. I will finish that up while the transmission is lowered a bit and the skid is off (tomorrow).

Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #462
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like it's ready for Saturday! Haha

Unread 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #463
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Trying like hell. Still no transmission seal tool. I'd have to get that done, the skid buttoned back up, fueled and loaded by tomorrow night. I still don't have bumpstops in the front, but I'm not sure the spring can compress enough to be an issue.

Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #464
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Trying like hell. Still no transmission seal tool. I'd have to get that done, the skid buttoned back up, fueled and loaded by tomorrow night. I still don't have bumpstops in the front, but I'm not sure the spring can compress enough to be an issue.
As long as you avoid all of the crazy obstacles, you should be fine. I know you aren't going to hit the rock garden right off the bat with Betty

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #465
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Changing the shift shaft seal on the 46RE (TF727 and others are similar)

I managed to change the shift shaft seal without pulling the pan or draining any oil. Here's how:

I ordered this tool that has two pieces. One removes the old seal, the other installs the new one.

The black removal tool has a threaded cone on the end that engages the old seal. The silver tool is used to press the new one in.

Apparently many people misdiagnose a leaky shift shaft seal as a leaking pan gasket because the leak trickles down the side, and around the pan mating surface. The transmission was wet when I pulled it from the donor truck, but I thought the same thing and put a new pan gasket on because I had to drain the transmission anyways. The pan gasket I removed was almost new, but some of the bolts were only finger tight, so I thought that was the issue. Here's what the side of the transmission looked like:

The letter "P" in white paint was so I remembered which direction park was. It's pretty easy to forget when you remove everything.

I took off the cables and linkages, and cleaned as much dirt off as I could. Then I slipped the black tool over the shift shaft, and put a little pressure on it with a big clamp.

I cranked it down a little too much and dented my pan a bit. No big deal, but I need to remember for next time to use just enough pressure to allow the extraction tool to thread in. I turned the tool until I felt it was engaged in the seal enough, then put a bolt though the threaded hole in the top of the extraction tool. This pushes down on the shift shaft, while pulling the tool up, removing the seal.

It pops out fairly easily:

I carefully cleaned any fluid and dirt in the seal bore. Then I put a little smear of RTV on the outside of the new seal, and a little transmission fluid on the inside of the seal for lubrication. I slid the seal on the shaft, with the installation tool on top of it, and applied a little pressure with that C-clamp, making certain it went in nice and straight because I only ordered one seal.

After what felt like almost too much pressure, the seal went in with a little "pop". I put a little more pressure on it to make sure it was seated, and it didn't seem to want to go any further. The seal was very close to flush with the top of the casting.

So far so good. I drove about 15 miles on it tonight and no leaks yet.

Quote:

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.