Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 02-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #436
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I specifically avoided putting a winch on the 2005, but I think this one is going to get a winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #437
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I specifically avoided putting a winch on the 2005, but I think this one is going to get a winch.
I never thought I would need one since I don't wheel alone, but it is so much easier to just pull the cable out, and flip a switch. No need to pull the straps out or anything. Probably one of my better investments, however I should have dropped the extra dough on a Warn and not the Smittybilt. I've heard horror stories.
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #438
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
I never thought I would need one since I don't wheel alone, but it is so much easier to just pull the cable out, and flip a switch. No need to pull the straps out or anything. Probably one of my better investments, however I should have dropped the extra dough on a Warn and not the Smittybilt. I've heard horror stories.
I know better, but I do go out into the woods alone. Never anything difficult, but I keep a hi lift and straps just in case. Never had to use them though, so I felt like a winch would be kind of a waste of a lot of money. I'd rather put cash in to axles and such.

I've done a lot of reading on various winches lately. Warn seems to have just as many issues as any other manufacture, based on my completely unscientific research. Those Engo brand ones seem to get consistent good reviews, so I might go with that. I also found another brand that I never heard of that had a knock off of the Warn 9.0RC. Couldn't find any bad review on that brand either. If I could run across a used M8000, I'd snag it, but they're just not out there in decent condition; and decent condition ones go for the same as new.

Quote:
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #439
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wish I could be more scientific about my response as well, but from some of the reading I've done, with the darn near standardization of series wound motor in just about all modern winches, that even your average Harbour Freight winch can be as reliable as a new Warn. In fact, I believe some of the same parts come off of the same assembly lines.

Obviously, don't quote me on this. I'm just Googling now to make sure I'm not full of crap.

Will start my build thread soon-ish btw, so I don't clog up your thread - I have a v6 bellhousing and a pair of centerdump headers coming my way through the mail. Just picked up a shop crane (something I've been waiting to get for a long time), and been trying to photographically document all the connections etc on the Jeep side of things (the RAM is unfortunately 30km away from me at my girlfriend's father's shop.)

Just wanna thank you for all the information thus far.... and a thank you in advance for the questions I'll be asking you soon

There is this, however:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...inch_shootout/
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic...peed_test.html
Unread 02-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #440
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've read those reviews before. I think it was a good test, but lots of argument about the scoring. (60 points for remote function??) I have no doubt that the motors and other internal bits are the same among several manufactures. I bought a Kawasaki branded chop saw (My local TSC didn't have any Dewalt like I intended on getting). It is identical, except for the paint color, to the HF model, right down to the indentations on the blade guard.

Here's my thoughts on Warn vs. everybody else. If I spent the money on a Warn, it DAMN well better ****ing work every time I use it. Based on what I've read, the Warn has just about the same chance of failing as any other. If I fry a cheap HF or Engo or whatever, I'll be far less upset about wasting $300 vs. $1000+ on a Warn. If it didn't perform as expected, but still worked, I could demote it to trailer use. I've been wanting a winch for my trailer anyways.

This isn't a high dollar build either. It's Ugly Betty. I'm not going to dump tons of cash into a device that I've never had to use before (but realize the potential is there). I'd still like to find a decent used one, but I just don't think that will happen.

Don't worry about clogging up this thread; I welcome the questions and discussion. I specifically put a table of contents on the first page with links to the good stuff so it would be easy to find.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #441
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Back to work tonight. The transmission is leaking pretty good, so I ordered a seal to fix it ($5). I also ordered a tool that allegedly allows me to change the seal without removing the valve body ($30). I'm awaiting delivery of the tool before I get ripping on it. My DIY fender kit arrived too. I unboxed it and put it in the corner for now, but it's on the short list.

So tonight, I decided to remove the rear bumper and replace it with one I built that has some recovery points on the back. The plasticy-rubber endcaps that everyone removes were still on mine, and of course the T30 torx screws were all rusted solid. You can't get to the bumper mounting bolts without removing them. Some of the screws came off with tremendous force, some broke clean off, others remained stubbornly put. Tired of messing with it, I took my angle grinder and sliced the rubber, flinging molten shards everywhere. I got one good spot on my wrist that rose to a perfect little blister.

Anyways. With those removed, I pulled tried to remove the mounting bolts. One of the bolts spun and was positively a ***** to get to. I couldn't get a saw blade or a cutter on it. Every once in a while when working on her, I get a whiff of fuel. My high-speed cutters (grinder, air cutter, etc.) throw too many sparks and I didn't feel like blowing up the garage tonight. (Other nights, it might be ok.) After a tirade of pulling, hammering, kicking and enough swearing to make a sailor blush, I was left with this.

Eventually I was able to cut through the bolt, after I twisted the bumper far enough to get my cutter in there, and running at a low speed.

I drilled the mounting holes in the bumper, then sanded, cleaned and primered the bumper. It's drying right now.

While that was drying, I hogged out the mounting holes on the rear crossmember; it seems they are metric and a little smaller than the 1/2" bolts I keep on hand. I also enlarged the holes on the frame where the tie-ins will bolt to. Knocked off a little rust and shot some enamel on it for protection.

Since I was waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to look at the CB radio equipment. I bought another Cobra 75 WX ST. I liked the radio, but the speaker isn't loud enough to overcome the interior noise in this Jeep, so I got an external speaker. I agonized over the placement for a while, then decided to put it on the center roll bar, like so:

Still working on the placement of the radio/mic itself, but decided to call it a night.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #442
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tow points for Saturday
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #443
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Lord knows I'll need them. You should plan on just leaving your winch cable attached to my bumper.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #444
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That can be arranged
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:25 PM   #445
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just keep me off the stuff where I'll get bad stuck.

I got one hook in the front -- one of those Reese tow hooks (they're everywhere). Think that will do? I just have the factory POS bumper up front.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #446
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just keep me off the stuff where I'll get bad stuck.

I got one hook in the front -- one of those Reese tow hooks (they're everywhere). Think that will do? I just have the factory POS bumper up front.
If it's tied into the frame, you should be fine. I don't see why not.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #447
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Uses the same bolts as the factory hooks, so it should be fine.

I meant to weld a little tab to the rear bumper for the antenna before I painted it but forgot. I mounted the CB antenna to a hole in the front bumper the other day just screwing around. It looks like it might stay there for a while.

Need a flag at Bundy, or the Mounds, or wherever we are supposed to go?

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #448
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Uses the same bolts as the factory hooks, so it should be fine.

I meant to weld a little tab to the rear bumper for the antenna before I painted it but forgot. I mounted the CB antenna to a hole in the front bumper the other day just screwing around. It looks like it might stay there for a while.

Need a flag at Bundy, or the Mounds, or wherever we are supposed to go?
Looks like the Mounds. No need for a flag there.
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #449
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Now to see if I can get this transmission fixed. It's lost a lot of fluid on the garage floor.

Quote:
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #450
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now to see if I can get this transmission fixed. It's lost a lot of fluid on the garage floor.
Hopefully...Are you trailering Betty or just driving it there?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.