Back to work tonight. The transmission is leaking pretty good, so I ordered a seal to fix it ($5). I also ordered a tool that allegedly allows me to change the seal without removing the valve body ($30). I'm awaiting delivery of the tool before I get ripping on it. My DIY fender kit arrived too. I unboxed it and put it in the corner for now, but it's on the short list.
So tonight, I decided to remove the rear bumper and replace it with one I built that has some recovery points on the back. The plasticy-rubber endcaps that everyone removes were still on mine, and of course the T30 torx screws were all rusted solid. You can't get to the bumper mounting bolts without removing them. Some of the screws came off with tremendous force, some broke clean off, others remained stubbornly put. Tired of messing with it, I took my angle grinder and sliced the rubber, flinging molten shards everywhere. I got one good spot on my wrist that rose to a perfect little blister.
Anyways. With those removed, I pulled tried to remove the mounting bolts. One of the bolts spun and was positively a ***** to get to. I couldn't get a saw blade or a cutter on it. Every once in a while when working on her, I get a whiff of fuel. My high-speed cutters (grinder, air cutter, etc.) throw too many sparks and I didn't feel like blowing up the garage tonight. (Other nights, it might be ok.) After a tirade of pulling, hammering, kicking and enough swearing to make a sailor blush, I was left with this.
Eventually I was able to cut through the bolt, after I twisted the bumper far enough to get my cutter in there, and running at a low speed.
I drilled the mounting holes in the bumper, then sanded, cleaned and primered the bumper. It's drying right now.
While that was drying, I hogged out the mounting holes on the rear crossmember; it seems they are metric and a little smaller than the 1/2" bolts I keep on hand. I also enlarged the holes on the frame where the tie-ins will bolt to. Knocked off a little rust and shot some enamel on it for protection.
Since I was waiting for the paint to dry, I decided to look at the CB radio equipment. I bought another Cobra 75 WX ST. I liked the radio, but the speaker isn't loud enough to overcome the interior noise in this Jeep, so I got an external speaker. I agonized over the placement for a while, then decided to put it on the center roll bar, like so:
Still working on the placement of the radio/mic itself, but decided to call it a night.