Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 28 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #406
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yellowyj View Post
This thing is turning out really cool, good luck my friend
Thanks. I'm just getting started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
Jason, thanks for posting the link. I may have to get one of those.
You're welcome. I'm going to buy another one or two so I have them when I need them.

Your headers look great, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead89 View Post
The transmission vent on Torqueflite automatics is typically at the bottom of the bellhousing, behind the torque converter.
Ok, thanks. So basically no where near the shift arm, which is what I was afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #407
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just read all 28 pages. Awesome work. I just bought a running 1997 Ram 1500 5.9L that I intent to put into the XJ. One tons, 37"-40"s, and a lot of hills around here, the 4.0L struggles to get up and go..

I'm not too concerned with the mechanical side of things, I know there will be snags, but it's really the wiring I'm concerned with. I'm staying with a manual transmission (V6 bellhousing to my AX-15), so I'm hoping to not run into the issues you have with shifting and etc. The auto PCM will run the truck, but will pull codes. I'll grab a manual PCM online once the truck runs.

Any good schematics that you used? I just paid around $20 for a "year's access" altogether for the '98 XJ and '97 Ram, and I'm trying to find the appropriate schematics. Did you find FSMs to be better?
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #408
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc
Just read all 28 pages. Awesome work. I just bought a running 1997 Ram 1500 5.9L that I intent to put into the XJ. One tons, 37"-40"s, and a lot of hills around here, the 4.0L struggles to get up and go..

I'm not too concerned with the mechanical side of things, I know there will be snags, but it's really the wiring I'm concerned with. I'm staying with a manual transmission (V6 bellhousing to my AX-15), so I'm hoping to not run into the issues you have with shifting and etc. The auto PCM will run the truck, but will pull codes. I'll grab a manual PCM online once the truck runs.

Any good schematics that you used? I just paid around $20 for a "year's access" altogether for the '98 XJ and '97 Ram, and I'm trying to find the appropriate schematics. Did you find FSMs to be better?
I just did this swap and kept my ax15. The wiring is very easy. I cannot imagine paying someone almost $700 to do this. For mine since I kept the manual all I had to so was pin in #7,8 injectors, change a few of the connector ends, switch the idle air control wires, and switch the oil pressure wires around. You'll use 90% of your jeeps harness and just add some of the donors into it. As for schematics I used fsm's for both my jeep and donor. They are by far the best in my opinion. Do not let the wiring scare you!
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #409
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post

Thanks for reading the whole thing. Good luck with yours. Do a build thread when you get going on it.

I used FSMs for both vehicles, and wouldn't have done it without them. They are simply the most complete wiring and pinout diagrams available. The wiring harnesses were remarkably similar between the two vehicles, and really the hardest part is getting started. I stared at the harnesses for a long time before I actually got to cutting. Get familiar with the two harnesses and make a plan on what it should look like when done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
I just did this swap and kept my ax15. The wiring is very easy. I cannot imagine paying someone almost $700 to do this. For mine since I kept the manual all I had to so was pin in #7,8 injectors, change a few of the connector ends, switch the idle air control wires, and switch the oil pressure wires around. You'll use 90% of your jeeps harness and just add some of the donors into it. As for schematics I used fsm's for both my jeep and donor. They are by far the best in my opinion. Do not let the wiring scare you!
I did mine a little differently. I used the Dodge engine wiring harness and spliced in the few Jeep connectors that I retained (fuel pump, speed sensor, 4WD sensor, etc.). It made more sense in my situation to use the Dodge wiring instead of the Jeep because my injector plugs were different, adding the auto relay and fuses, park/neutral switch, etc., etc. Regardless of the method used, you need to trace every wire to make sure you know what it's going to.

There's more than one method available to remove the fur from a feline.

Quote:
Unread 02-17-2013, 11:09 PM   #410
andrewmacc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Appreciate the responses, guys! Hate to hijack a little..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
I'm trying not to let it scare me, but it always looks like the multicoloured spaghetti of doom. I'm thinking that keeping the AX-15 will keep some of it even simpler. I'm not a big fan of having my gears chosen for me, hah.
One of the things I can't find clarification on, is that with using the V6 bellhousing and the Jeep AX-15, are you required to change the flywheel to the Ram 2500 one? Or can I retain the Jeep flywheel? I keep reading about using the Ram manual flywheel with the AX-15.
I kept looking at wiring harness prices, and I just absolutely cannot stomach the cost of a minimum of $700 for very similar wiring.. The idea of this swap is to do it on a decent budget because it uses a lot of the same parts to keep it MOPAR, doesn't require new gauges or a possible 2-piece driveline, fly-by-wire, etc, like the Chev 5.3/etc does. I think with such dissimilar harnesses I could see paying, but indeed, all my research indicates that even many of the wiring colours remain the same.. depending on your donor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Thanks for reading the whole thing. Good luck with yours. Do a build thread when you get going on it.

I used FSMs for both vehicles, and wouldn't have done it without them. They are simply the most complete wiring and pinout diagrams available. The wiring harnesses were remarkably similar between the two vehicles, and really the hardest part is getting started. I stared at the harnesses for a long time before I actually got to cutting. Get familiar with the two harnesses and make a plan on what it should look like when done.

I did mine a little differently. I used the Dodge engine wiring harness and spliced in the few Jeep connectors that I retained (fuel pump, speed sensor, 4WD sensor, etc.). It made more sense in my situation to use the Dodge wiring instead of the Jeep because my injector plugs were different, adding the auto relay and fuses, park/neutral switch, etc., etc. Regardless of the method used, you need to trace every wire to make sure you know what it's going to.

There's more than one method available to remove the fur from a feline.
I absolutely will. I have the build thread up for the one ton swap already, but I'm not sure if I'll create a new thread for the motor swap. We'll cross that bridge soon enough! The truck is in good enough shape that the girlfriend is actually going to drive it for a month or two while I get all my ducks in a row.

FSMs it is. I'll have to source them. The ALLDATA diagrams seemed lacking, honestly.

I believe (keyword) it may make more sense in my case to use the Jeep harness for the majority of it, as I am retaining the manual transmission and have the 4.0L currently in.. But right, as you said, more ways than one.. I'll make sure to label every wire in the harness regardless.

I have other questions, but I'm blanking on them right now!

Thanks guys!
Unread 02-18-2013, 05:00 AM   #411
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc

I'm trying not to let it scare me, but it always looks like the multicoloured spaghetti of doom. I'm thinking that keeping the AX-15 will keep some of it even simpler. I'm not a big fan of having my gears chosen for me, hah.
One of the things I can't find clarification on, is that with using the V6 bellhousing and the Jeep AX-15, are you required to change the flywheel to the Ram 2500 one? Or can I retain the Jeep flywheel? I keep reading about using the Ram manual flywheel with the AX-15.
I kept looking at wiring harness prices, and I just absolutely cannot stomach the cost of a minimum of $700 for very similar wiring.. The idea of this swap is to do it on a decent budget because it uses a lot of the same parts to keep it MOPAR, doesn't require new gauges or a possible 2-piece driveline, fly-by-wire, etc, like the Chev 5.3/etc does. I think with such dissimilar harnesses I could see paying, but indeed, all my research indicates that even many of the wiring colours remain the same.. depending on your donor.

I absolutely will. I have the build thread up for the one ton swap already, but I'm not sure if I'll create a new thread for the motor swap. We'll cross that bridge soon enough! The truck is in good enough shape that the girlfriend is actually going to drive it for a month or two while I get all my ducks in a row.

FSMs it is. I'll have to source them. The ALLDATA diagrams seemed lacking, honestly.

I believe (keyword) it may make more sense in my case to use the Jeep harness for the majority of it, as I am retaining the manual transmission and have the 4.0L currently in.. But right, as you said, more ways than one.. I'll make sure to label every wire in the harness regardless.

I have other questions, but I'm blanking on them right now!

Thanks guys!
Yes you'll need a new clutch and fly wheel. I used a stock 11" set up for a ram 1500. The bellhousing you'll need is a 94-99 3.9 dakota 5spd. Everything bolts right up. As for your harness, it does make it easier that your keeping the stock tranny. Your reverse sensor, down O2 sensor, fuel pump, speed sensor, and xfer case mode switch will be left untouched.
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #412
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmacc View Post
Don't worry one bit about the hijack. I invite folks to discuss here.

Make sure the to compare the pinouts on the sensor plugs from the Jeep harness to the Dodge sensors if using the Jeep harness. One of the guys (either Greenmachine or PoorFool, I forget which) had a sensor where the wires were reversed.

Quote:
Unread 02-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #413
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason

Don't worry one bit about the hijack. I invite folks to discuss here.

Make sure the to compare the pinouts on the sensor plugs from the Jeep harness to the Dodge sensors if using the Jeep harness. One of the guys (either Greenmachine or PoorFool, I forget which) had a sensor where the wires were reversed.
You're right. The idle air control harness on the dodge is reversed.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #414
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I started working on making a front bumper. Got interrupted so I didn't get very far, but here's some notes from the last few days.

Somewhere pages back I mentioned a little hesitation off the line with moderate throttle, mostly noticeable while revving in neutral. Like, if you step on the gas in neutral, it kinda went; cha-chug-VROOOOM, but only if you hit the pedal like you mean it. I cleaned out the throttle body and IAC plunger carefully and that seems to have corrected it. Seems to start faster too.

Trans is full, perfect on the max mark, so I think that seal is bad. I'd like to think that I can ignore it, but I won't. So I guess I'm digging into the transmission. ****.

I did get the sound bar and all the interior lights functioning properly. That is a huge improvement over struggling with a flashlight in the dark. My TJ had the 2 speaker stereo, so the rear speaker and dome light wires were not present, but they were in the junction box under the dash on the driver side kick panel area. I clipped the wires behind the plug and just ran new wires for the speakers and dome light.

One thing to note, which I didn't know until I did this, the positive side of the lights are always hot. The ground is controlled by the headlight switch, door switches and the fuse behind the glove box.

I wanted to put plugs on the wire to make the sound bar easily removable. I used different ends (male, female) on the positive and negative wires so I didn't screw it up.

I wrapped them up in tape, ran a loom for the wires, and cranked up the tunes.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #415
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered a CB for the Jeep. I went with the Cobra 75 WX ST. I have one in my 2005 and I like it's compact design. Paired with a nice antenna, it more than gets the job done. I only need it for comms on the trail. The NOAA weather feature is nice too; I actually listen to the weather more than I thought I would. I expect the interior to get wet on this on so I like that I can remove it easily. I'm also planning an external speaker because my one complaint is that the speaker output is somewhat limited. Hasn't been an issue in my 2005 because it is a relatively quiet interior (quiet muffler, carpet, hard top sometimes, etc.), but the 97 is pretty loud with the V8 and no carpet. I also got a second box to go with it, so I might install that in my truck.

Still waiting on fenders, and procrastinating on the transmission shift shaft seal. Other than that, not much of an update. Been driving it around here and there and all seems to be fine.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM   #416
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

How long of a wait on the fenders?
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #417
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered last Monday -- so not 2 weeks yet.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #418
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I ordered last Monday -- so not 2 weeks yet.
I forgot how long I waited for my cloaks, but those are built to order, aren't yours a DIY kit?
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #419
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

It is, but I think the builder makes them to order. Pretty sure he's a small fabricator -- one man type of operation, so I'm not sweating it. The DIY kit was the closest I could get to making them myself. If I had a good bender, you know I'd make them myself.

Speaking of which, I sold my welder today.

Quote:
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #420
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is, but I think the builder makes them to order. Pretty sure he's a small fabricator -- one man type of operation, so I'm not sweating it. The DIY kit was the closest I could get to making them myself. If I had a good bender, you know I'd make them myself.

Speaking of which, I sold my welder today.
I know a guy with a bender

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.