Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #316
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I got some progress this morning. Tranny cooler lines are run and all hooked up. Radiator hoses are cut and installed. De-loomed the O2 sensors and I'm working on rewrapping those wires.

Next is the t-case shifter then I'll put the skid back on. I might fire it up after all that because I can keep it cool now.

Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #317
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

For the first time in my life, I ran out of electrical tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #318
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got a few things done yesterday. (Weekends rule.) I'm still tweaking the routing of the cooler lines; it looks like the return line will interfere with the front driveshaft a little. No big deal because I can tweak it upwards a smidge. I still need to get something to hold the cooler lines to the frame to make sure they behave. The wires are sorta bundled, but not fully taped and loomed. I'm concerned that there's going to be some wiring issue, so I don't want to tape it all up and have to pull it apart if there's an issue.

I don't know what that Dodge air intake is made out of, but I think the sun exposure started to break the material down. When I was fiddling with the wires, I rested my bare arm on it and it felt like it was poking me. After a few minutes it felt like a bunch of little slivers. The outside of the air intake had kind of a sparkly appearance, and you could see the fibers if you looked carefully enough. The inside was smooth plastic-looking, which I why I assume it was sun exposure causing an issue. I sprayed a coat of paint on it to seal it up.

I removed all the wiring from the grille when I painted it, so I put that and the headlights back in. (I actually had to refer to my old pics to recall the way the wires were routed.) Started filling the radiator yesterday too. I'm recycling some used, but relatively clean coolant. I'm running it through a coffee filter to pull out big chunks of ****. Figured I might as well use it since I have it.

I ran the radiator hoses. The upper hose that I chose needed to be shortened. I also shortened the heater hoses to a better length.

The transmission shifter is now bolted to the tub, and apparently shifting the transmission. This is a big deal because of all the hassle I had with getting it to work. Pic sucks because my million watt halogen lamp was pointing in there, but here it is, mostly bolted down. I couldn't find the correct bolts to hold the shifter down, so I used ones that were painted yellow from the Ram's core support.

Quote:
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #319
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

You'll be doing donuts in the snow in no time.
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #320
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

One of the other things I got sorted out was the transfer case shifter. When I got the shifter bolted up, it bound so bad that it wouldn't shift. (Sorry for the ****ty pic, but it wasn't easy to get to.)

You can see that it's pretty tweaked. I'm not going to spend the money on a cable shifter for this Jeep. So I took out the tub mount bracket. You can see the holes for the linkage.

I measured and the center hole for the linkage needed to be moved back to about where the rear bolt hole (the smaller hole) was. I just opened this hole up with a drill bit to the correct size.

I filled the original holes in with my welder and redrilled the bolt holes to hold the piece to the bracket. You can see that piece is shifted rearward now, and lines up correctly.

Quick shot of paint and back on it went. Lines up much better now. Still a little binding, but that's probably because the Jeep was sitting still. I can hit all ranges in the t-case now with no binding on the linkage.

Quote:
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #321
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
You'll be doing donuts in the snow in no time.
That's all I'll be doing since it's currently rear wheel drive only.

Quote:
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #322
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
That's all I'll be doing since it's currently rear wheel drive only.
Are you going to be home all day? I might stop by on my way back from mid michigan to pick up the part I left
Unread 01-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #323
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Are you going to be home all day? I might stop by on my way back from mid michigan to pick up the part I left
Call first. I might head out to grab a few things, but should mostly be around.

Quote:
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #324
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got some odds and ends done today. I hooked up the electric fan to a switch for now. I tied the wires out of the way and backed it out of the garage so I could run it long enough to get it warm. I wanted to get the thermostat open. No video, but Curt (Rubicon0311) was here to witness that it drove a few feet under its power.

The transmission isn't shifting right. It wouldn't catch drive every time I shifted it. Reverse seemed fine, but drive didn't always catch. The fluid was low, so I think that was part of it. I cycled it though the gears and added some fluid and it got better. Also, the adjustment catch on the shift cable wasn't engaged, so it was sliding around a bit.

Then, it started snowing like a mofo. Since I'm not sure if the Jeep is road worthy, I hooked up the driveshaft and drove out into the blizzard. Stalled a few times going between reverse and drive, but that's probably because there's no emissions stuff or exhaust to really speak of. Other than that, relatively uneventful. Made a few trips up and down my road. Everything worked ok.

It was leaking brake fluid out of one of the fittings on the master cylinder, and transmission fluid from one of the unions on the steel line. I tightened both down and they look fine.

Next thing is cleaning up the wiring and deciding on which fenders to get.

Quote:
Unread 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #325
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

He failed to mention the interesting dance he did once he got it outside....
Unread 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #326
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He failed to mention the interesting dance he did once he got it outside....
You can call it interesting if you want. Neighbors called and wanted to know if I survived the seizure ok. Don't hate on my moves. Lol.

Quote:
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #327
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Don't tell me you have been spending all this time trying to get that switch to light up.......
Unread 01-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #328
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I realized quickly that the switch I wired up temporarily had no indication of which position was on or off, or any illumination. So while it was rolling around on the floor, I couldn't find it. Then when I did, I didn't know which way was on or off.

Today, I ordered some that look like this:

Quote:
Unread 02-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #329
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got some work done today. I've been car shopping pretty hard over the last few days, so my time has been taken up by that.

I did some exhaust work today. I didn't have a chop saw, but after trying one cut with my grinder, decided I needed one. This thing makes cutting so much faster.

The downpipe was mostly finished a few weeks ago. In order to position the remainder of the exhaust where I wanted it, I had to cut a little off the collector pipe, and add a 20 bend. Here's the bit that I added to the end:

I added a bung for the front O2 sensor. I also added a three hole flange. This will allow me to unbolt the downpipe or the rest of the exhaust if necessary.

I put another flange on the flex connection and attached my mini-cat. I also put a bung in here for the downstream O2 sensor, and re-used a hanger from the old exhaust.

Earlier I thought I may be able to reuse the muffler from the truck, but it's 2.5 and I ran 3 inch pipe. I'll be muffler shopping soon. Since I had some leftover, I made a little turn down and just clamped it on the end of the cat for now.

I broke one of the O2 sensors when I removed it. I bought the replacement tonight. The replacement required cutting the old wire harness off and splicing it into the new sensor. It had some ******* splices where you put a threaded cap on each end and screw them into a splice. Plus there were little weather tight thingys that needed to go on before the splices, and some big plug thingy. And the instructions sucked. There should have only been five words: "Splice wires the same colors."

I sprayed some paint on the exhaust that needs to be heated to cure. I drove the Jeep down the road. Runs much better with the O2 sensors functioning. Verified that it went to closed loop via my scan gauge. So that's good.

I think I'm going to throw the fenders on it and just drive it after I get a muffler. (It's loud right now.) Running out of stuff to do.

Quote:
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #330
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coming along!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.