I've mostly liberated the engine from it's bright yellow prison. Not without some fuss however. (And honestly, this wouldn't be much fun without reading about my bumbles.)
I continued to separate the engine wiring harness from the engine and transmission. There wasn't much left in the wiring department. There was some muddy, oil, sludgy crap on the transmission that covered a few wiring harnesses that I eventually found.
I disconnected the fuel lines that I forgot to depressurize earlier. It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped.
I disconnected the power steering pump, heater hoses, starter wires, and shifter linkages. I pulled off the driveshafts. I tried to separate the exhaust from the manifolds, but 3 of the 4 studs just spun. (Honestly, I gave up at 3 and didn't try the 4th.) I couldn't get a cutting device up there, so I decided to pull it with the exhaust attached. There was a joint after that cat that a clamp came off at some point, and I could see it slide when I wiggled it so I figured it would slide right out when I pulled the motor. Perfect.
I unbolted the tranny amount, and double, triple checked that everything was free and loose. I strapped the engine to my hoist and pulled the motor mount bolts. The engine lifted, and cleared the mounts, but would not come forward.
I inspected everything, and seen the transmission crossmember as a potential conflict with the t-case, but I didn't want to mess with it. So I tried to remove the t-case. Of course I could only turn each bolt about 1/32451243652th of a turn. Eventually I got them out, but it absolutely would not come free from the transmission. I pulled, pushed, kicked, swore, kicked harder, pulled more, hammered, then bigger hammered, and still nothing.
So I guess I remove the crossmember. 10 bolts. No big deal right? Well after I removed the bolts, I kinda thought the crossmember would just fall out.
I pulled, kicked, etc., basically the same list of futile exercises above. I ended up beating it with my 8 lb until it finally slid free. I probably smacked that thing a gazillion times. There was a raise part of the frame that the crossmember is nestled in. I had to beat it by that point to get it out.
So I tried to pull the motor and still the same; it moved around freely in every direction but out.
I inspected everything very
carefully and nothing, and I mean nothing
is preventing this from moving forward. The only thing that is left is the exhaust. It was too late at night to think much harder about it, so I grabbed a saw and started cutting.
When it let go, it dropped about a foot, and the engine about 6 inches. Eureka! I finally was able to get the stupid thing to move forward.
I don't have enough room to pull the engine out in the garage, but know that I know I can get it out, I'm going to roll it into the driveway tomorrow and finish it off.
^^ Accomplishment ^^