Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Crawled!!!! It's not very ugly, at least it's not rust ugly.

Unread 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #17
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
Crawled!!!! It's not very ugly, at least it's not rust ugly.
It's what's inside that counts. That's why I drug her home.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Might as well crawl this as well

How far down are you tearing into the 5.9 once its out? Just enough to do the plug, or are you going to do more?
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I got those freeze plugs on the back of the block to deal with, so the transmission and engine need to come apart. I'm going to remove them both from the truck as a unit. I'm going to pop off the throttle body and look for any signs of oil in the plenum. If there is, it needs plenum gaskets. Other than that, I'm not going to tear the engine apart. It doesn't leak anywhere except what's already been mentioned. Oil and coolant were both clean. It's a 100K mile motor (don't remember exactly), so it could be all torn down and rebuilt, but that's not going to happen yet.
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't bother tearing it down with only 100k or so miles. I remember you saying something about the plenum though, so i was going to say...if you pull that, i believe there is some upgrad'ability with anther factory plenum if you wanted. I cant find the parts that would fit it, but if i do ill post it.
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #21
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I recall that too, but didn't think about it. I'll consider it if I have to tear this one off. (Might as well, right?)

Overall, the plan with the engine is to address the few things that need attention, and not do things that might get redone later. The plenum for example. I won't bother replacing the gaskets unless they need it. If I have to take the plenum off, then I'll look at upgrades.
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #22
ben34mod
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This ought to be a good one!...Subscribed!
ben34mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben34mod View Post
This ought to be a good one!...Subscribed!
Thanks, lets hope so.

I've got the driveshafts and transmission mounts out. The transmission is now just resting on the crossmember, which gives me better access to the top of the transmission where there are still a few more wires and what not.

I see no reason this engine won't be out today.
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #24
bertaman80
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Looks to be a nice project. I live in Grand Rapids and have an 06 Rubicon. I would like to get a cheap jeep like that to tear up more than mine Rubi. Good Luck I will be following
bertaman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #25
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looking for some shocks for ugly? I have some rough country shocks from a 2.5" lift available. Only a year old. Alboy is buying the coils from my lift, at least I think, I haven't heard from him in a bit.
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #26
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertaman80 View Post
Looks to be a nice project. I live in Grand Rapids and have an 06 Rubicon. I would like to get a cheap jeep like that to tear up more than mine Rubi. Good Luck I will be following
Thanks! It's nice to not have to "worry" about it. After I bought it, I threw a plate and insurance on it. I've been driving it around while researching the build. It's loud as hell right now due some exhaust issues, but I've been having a ball beating around in it.

Yesterday, on the way home from a beer run, I took a hard left just before the driveway and bombed through the front yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Looking for some shocks for ugly? I have some rough country shocks from a 2.5" lift available. Only a year old. Alboy is buying the coils from my lift, at least I think, I haven't heard from him in a bit.
'Preciate the offer, but I'll have to pass. I'm not 100% on the direction of the suspension yet, but I believe I'll be outboarding the rear. Not sure if that shock would work for that application, and I don't want to gather parts I may not use.
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #27
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Tonight:

Tonight's update: I've mostly liberated the engine from it's bright yellow prison. Not without some fuss however. (And honestly, this wouldn't be much fun without reading about my bumbles.)

I continued to separate the engine wiring harness from the engine and transmission. There wasn't much left in the wiring department. There was some muddy, oil, sludgy crap on the transmission that covered a few wiring harnesses that I eventually found.

I disconnected the fuel lines that I forgot to depressurize earlier. It wasn't as exciting as I had hoped.

I disconnected the power steering pump, heater hoses, starter wires, and shifter linkages. I pulled off the driveshafts. I tried to separate the exhaust from the manifolds, but 3 of the 4 studs just spun. (Honestly, I gave up at 3 and didn't try the 4th.) I couldn't get a cutting device up there, so I decided to pull it with the exhaust attached. There was a joint after that cat that a clamp came off at some point, and I could see it slide when I wiggled it so I figured it would slide right out when I pulled the motor. Perfect.

I unbolted the tranny amount, and double, triple checked that everything was free and loose. I strapped the engine to my hoist and pulled the motor mount bolts. The engine lifted, and cleared the mounts, but would not come forward.

OK!

I inspected everything, and seen the transmission crossmember as a potential conflict with the t-case, but I didn't want to mess with it. So I tried to remove the t-case. Of course I could only turn each bolt about 1/32451243652th of a turn. Eventually I got them out, but it absolutely would not come free from the transmission. I pulled, pushed, kicked, swore, kicked harder, pulled more, hammered, then bigger hammered, and still nothing.

OK?

So I guess I remove the crossmember. 10 bolts. No big deal right? Well after I removed the bolts, I kinda thought the crossmember would just fall out.

Wrong.

I pulled, kicked, etc., basically the same list of futile exercises above. I ended up beating it with my 8 lb until it finally slid free. I probably smacked that thing a gazillion times. There was a raise part of the frame that the crossmember is nestled in. I had to beat it by that point to get it out.

OK.......

So I tried to pull the motor and still the same; it moved around freely in every direction but out.

!@#%!@#&#@#$@#%!@$

I inspected everything very carefully and nothing, and I mean nothing is preventing this from moving forward. The only thing that is left is the exhaust. It was too late at night to think much harder about it, so I grabbed a saw and started cutting.

When it let go, it dropped about a foot, and the engine about 6 inches. Eureka! I finally was able to get the stupid thing to move forward.

I don't have enough room to pull the engine out in the garage, but know that I know I can get it out, I'm going to roll it into the driveway tomorrow and finish it off.

^^ Accomplishment ^^
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That cracks me up.

How tight a fit are those headers in there? Jeez man, spinning all the bolts and not being able to cut them...

So the lunch time update better have a pic of that 5.9 on a tire.
Unread 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #29
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Challenge accepted

Boom.

Unread 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #30
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nah that dont look too long for the jeep..... That slip yoke housing on the dodge is a bit smaller than that silverado housing, but not much.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.