Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #271
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I've been meaning to get to this and I finally tackled it last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #272
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #273
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Lol. Jerk.

I'm still waiting on my parts from the junk yard. Once I get that stuff, I can get the shifter squared away, lift the front end up a little bit, and figure out the cooling situation.

Since it was super warm yesterday, I removed the evap canisters from the Dodge, expecting to need them to work with the leak detection pump. Then when I went looking for the LDP, it wasn't there. (!!!) I found the plug that should go to the LDP on the truck and it was just plugged off, so I guess I'm good. I need to check the plug to see if the computer expects any of those wires to be tied together. If so, I'll just splice the plug into the wires used by the LDP.

I test fit the airbox, and I need to do something different. The Ram box isn't even close to fitting. I think I need to get a Durango set up.

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #274
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Lol. Jerk.
Don't hate You may tell us whats going on in the BS thread, but I'm sure your other loyal followers want to know whats up, it's been a few days since the last post.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #275
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
your other loyal followers
Both of them? I hoped I would get more discussion in this build. Maybe I'm just doing everything perfectly.

Progress has been pretty slow as I wait for these parts. I have more time painting the grille than I'd care to admit. I really thought the junkyard would have had those parts pulled. One thing is holding up another, which is holding up something else, so I'm kinda stuck right now.

I also cut out the high-flow cat that was on the Ram. Plan on reusing it. It has a small body and keeps the o2 sensors happy. I mangled one of the oxygen sensors in the process, so I'll need to replace it.

Here's two things to muse over. Regarding the cooling fan; the mechanical fan contacts the top of the shroud. Eventually, I plan on tucking the t-case up into the tub, which in turn will pitch the front of the engine and the fan down. Maybe that would give me enough room for the mechanical fan? I need to drop the skid plate to get the shifter in, hook up the t-case shifter and tape up the wires. I think I'll push the t-case up and see if it betters my fan clearance.

Also, tucking the t-case will affect the exhaust routing. Not a big deal, but something to think about. Because the exhaust mount attaches to the transmission mount, that mount moves with the height of the drivetrain.

Both of these things make me think I need to fit with the t-case pushed up, or just make a new skid plate where I ultimately want it to be. This of course adds more time, work and expense that I didn't want to mess with at this point in time. I've been trying really hard to stick with the goal of just getting it running.

I think I've settled on a tube fender with no flare. Not sure if I want to highline or not, only because I'm going to have to add bumpstop to keep my control arms out of my motor mounts. There's no point in highlining if I never use that space with uptravel. I need to spend some real time with that and decide on a tire size.

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #276
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think you will get more followers once you get to the suspension/build phase, most people don't understand the whole engine swap thing.
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #277
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think you will get more followers once you get to the suspension/build phase, most people don't understand the whole engine swap thing.
Neither do I.

I also updated the original "list of issues" post found HERE on the first page. Many of the things are "done," so I put the outstanding issues in red font.

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #278
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Neither do I.

I also updated the original "list of issues" post found HERE on the first page. Many of the things are "done," so I put the outstanding issues in red font.
Hey, I didn't understad the first thing about engine swaps, I have been watching yours, and realized that I am not going to do it
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM   #279
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You need a hemi.

Quote:
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #280
Rubicon0311
Trust me, I'm a pilot

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You want a hemi.
Theres a difference
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #281
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered what I think I need to build an exhaust. Summit Racing as a header builder kit that has pre-bent 180º, 90º and 45º sections, along with some straight pieces. It has way more than I need in the kit, but it was cheaper than trying to order only what I needed singly and having extra is better than not enough. Also go the o2 sensor bungs, some collector flanges (so I can make the downpipe removeable) 2-into-1 y-pipe and a flex pipe. Summit ships pretty fast, so it should be here tomorrow or the next day.

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #282
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Ordered what I think I need to build an exhaust. Summit Racing as a header builder kit that has pre-bent 180º, 90º and 45º sections, along with some straight pieces. It has way more than I need in the kit, but it was cheaper than trying to order only what I needed singly and having extra is better than not enough. Also go the o2 sensor bungs, some collector flanges (so I can make the downpipe removeable) 2-into-1 y-pipe and a flex pipe. Summit ships pretty fast, so it should be here tomorrow or the next day.
Any links? I also need to make an exhaust. I used their block hugger headers and nothing is really going to work from the old exhaust.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #283
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Was yours a 5.2? I forget. Take a look at where the driver side exits the header collector. It looks like I'll have to make a bend away from the engine, then forward to clear the sump in the oil pan.

Here's my shopping list. I already have a cat from the truck that I will reuse because it was relatively new. 3" pipe I can source locally, and I have a muffler that I will reuse as well.

Summit Racing SUM-670145 - Summit Racing® Universal Rod Builder Exhaust Kits -- Way more pipe than necessary, but the only way I could get the pre-bent pieces without ordering singly.

Flowmaster Y214300 - Flowmaster Scavenger Series Y Collectors -- 2.25 to 3" y-pipe. This was the most compact one they had. I considered making my own instead, and still may. We'll see.

Summit Racing SUM-643010-1 - Summit Racing® Flex Joint Pipes -- Flex pipe. Check out the options on this. You could do the ball flange instead, or there are other (cheaper) flex pipes available. I chose this one because it is shortest and I believe the weaved ones hold up well.

Summit Racing SUM-G2990 - Summit Racing® Weld-In Oxygen Sensor Fittings -- Gotta have O2 sensors.

Summit Racing SUM-G4761 - Summit Racing® Collector Ring Kits -- I'm going to use these to make the pipe removable. I figure this will be helpful when taking the exhaust off.

Summit Racing SUM-670137 - Summit Racing® Exhaust Cutouts -- Just for fun.

Quote:
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #284
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Was yours a 5.2? I forget. Take a look at where the driver side exits the header collector. It looks like I'll have to make a bend away from the engine, then forward to clear the sump in the oil pan.

Here's my shopping list. I already have a cat from the truck that I will reuse because it was relatively new. 3" pipe I can source locally, and I have a muffler that I will reuse as well.

Summit Racing SUM-670145 - Summit Racing® Universal Rod Builder Exhaust Kits -- Way more pipe than necessary, but the only way I could get the pre-bent pieces without ordering singly.

Flowmaster Y214300 - Flowmaster Scavenger Series Y Collectors -- 2.25 to 3" y-pipe. This was the most compact one they had. I considered making my own instead, and still may. We'll see.

Summit Racing SUM-643010-1 - Summit Racing® Flex Joint Pipes -- Flex pipe. Check out the options on this. You could do the ball flange instead, or there are other (cheaper) flex pipes available. I chose this one because it is shortest and I believe the weaved ones hold up well.

Summit Racing SUM-G2990 - Summit Racing® Weld-In Oxygen Sensor Fittings -- Gotta have O2 sensors.

Summit Racing SUM-G4761 - Summit Racing® Collector Ring Kits -- I'm going to use these to make the pipe removable. I figure this will be helpful when taking the exhaust off.

Summit Racing SUM-670137 - Summit Racing® Exhaust Cutouts -- Just for fun.
Yea mine is the 5.2. I kept the cat from the durango and the jeep. I'm pretty limited to mufflers so ill have to keep the one I have. I have a triangulated rear and its tight.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #285
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
Yea mine is the 5.2. I kept the cat from the durango and the jeep. I'm pretty limited to mufflers so ill have to keep the one I have. I have a triangulated rear and its tight.
Dump it after the skid plate. I don't think I will bother with making the bends over the rear axle because when I do something with the suspension, I'm going to 4-link it and would have to trash it anyways.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.