Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 17 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
The grille painting didn't go that well. Couldn't get the primer to stick / dry / seal. Started over this morning.

Buddy that I bought the Ram truck from came over last night and we replaced the final brake line and bled the rears. Now all the steel lines have been replaced.

I'm going to keep working the paint today, and research what fan I can use.


"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM
Rubicon0311
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,341
Rubicon0311 is offline  
post #243 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565


Paint is going on better today, probably because I'm not rushing it. I'm still researching the fan thing. Because the water pump isn't close enough to center, I need to run an electric. But, I need to find an electric that is thin enough to fit with the clearance I have available, ~4.25 inches.

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #244 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Rubicon0311
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post


Paint is going on better today, probably because I'm not rushing it. I'm still researching the fan thing. Because the water pump isn't close enough to center, I need to run an electric. But, I need to find an electric that is thin enough to fit with the clearance I have available, ~4.25 inches.
You can paint my bumper and cloaks when I get them
Rubicon0311 is offline  
post #245 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
As long as you want a spray bomb job....

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #246 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Rubicon0311
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
As long as you want a spray bomb job....
So you finally decided to go electric...is there a reason why you don't want to just trim the fan you have?
Rubicon0311 is offline  
post #247 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
So you finally decided to go electric...is there a reason why you don't want to just trim the fan you have?
This is why. Basically, I feel that putting a fan small enough to fit will degrade my cooling capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I tried putting the Jeep fan on just for fitment, and it contacts the top of the fan shroud. I measured from the threaded snout on the water pump pulley to the top and bottom of the shroud and it's way off. 8" to the top, about 10.75" to the bottom. It's as if the engine is sitting way too high. The engine mounts were installed exactly as AA spec'd, and as low as I'd ever want them. In fact, they are a little too low for my liking, but I wasn't going to try to move them.

So even if I cut that Dodge fan down to 9" or less, that leaves over 2" at the bottom of the shroud open with no fan blowing across. I'm not sure what affect that would have on my cooling? I have a little room at the top where I could move the shroud up by redrilling the holes, but I'd estimate that only gaining me about 0.5".
Maybe I could build my own shroud?

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #248 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Rubicon0311
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kalamazoo
Posts: 3,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post


Maybe I could build my own shroud?
Might be cheaper haha.
Rubicon0311 is offline  
post #249 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Maybe. I might still have other clearance issues to worry about too.

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #250 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
But I do like the idea of the two speed fan with a defeat switch.

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #251 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM
bangintin
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 120
I would look at fan designs, the shroud is only there to channel the air, an oscillating fan has no shroud and it still pushes air, the shroud is only there to prevent the fan from taking air from the surrounding areas and only allowing air to be drawn from across the radiator, as well as a safety feature to prevent contact with the fan blade when the engine is running...the fact that it is not centered or that it sits higher or lower is a non issue. Whether you build a shroud, or modify one, whether you trim the arc at the bottom of the shroud, you will be fine. Most shrouds are not centered, most clutches do not sit in the center of the radiator either....
I think you may be over thinking this fan thing...
I also think you may be convinced you want the electric fan, but can't commit :laugh
bangintin is offline  
post #252 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
You are probably correct on all counts, especially the inability to commit.

Anyone know how deep the Taurus fan is?

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #253 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM
bangintin
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rochester
Posts: 120
I guess I think about failures, if you are out wheeling and your electric fan tanks, whether your motor is running or your wheels are turning, it's gonna leave you in a bad way, with a mechanical fan if your motor is running, and the wheels are turning, your engine is cooling(assuming your other cooling system components are doing their job) and a thermal fan clutch failure is almost a never happening event... When it fails, it typically seizes to always on..
This is the angle I am coming from when building my jeeps, what is gonna work and is least likely to fail... Electric motor fail rates are higher than thermal clutches
bangintin is offline  
post #254 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
Copperhead89
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
But I do like the idea of the two speed fan with a defeat switch.
When you say "defeat switch", do you mean a manual on/off switch?

Are you too far along to move the engine back, in order to gain more room for an electric fan? I had to do that with my V8 magnum conversion, but my engine is more old school, it just has the magnum heads. I relocated mine back because I was dead set on using a '95 Ford T-bird fan, which is the same as the vaunted Lincoln MKVIII fan, except it has a 2 speed motor instead of a variable speed motor. It's 5-1/2" deep, and I have 3/16" clearance at the water pump pulley bolts.

My YJ/CJ V8 Magnum Build: http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/magnum-force-mopar-mans-build-1412306/
Copperhead89 is online now  
post #255 of 746 Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Copperhead89
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
I guess I think about failures, if you are out wheeling and your electric fan tanks, whether your motor is running or your wheels are turning, it's gonna leave you in a bad way, with a mechanical fan if your motor is running, and the wheels are turning, your engine is cooling(assuming your other cooling system components are doing their job) and a thermal fan clutch failure is almost a never happening event... When it fails, it typically seizes to always on..
This is the angle I am coming from when building my jeeps, what is gonna work and is least likely to fail... Electric motor fail rates are higher than thermal clutches
And for that reason, I'll have a spare fan motor packed away in my rig when I hit the trails.

My YJ/CJ V8 Magnum Build: http://jeepforum.com/forum/f22/magnum-force-mopar-mans-build-1412306/
Copperhead89 is online now  
Reply

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome