Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #241
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The grille painting didn't go that well. Couldn't get the primer to stick / dry / seal. Started over this morning.

Buddy that I bought the Ram truck from came over last night and we replaced the final brake line and bled the rears. Now all the steel lines have been replaced.

I'm going to keep working the paint today, and research what fan I can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #242
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Done yet?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #243
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Paint is going on better today, probably because I'm not rushing it. I'm still researching the fan thing. Because the water pump isn't close enough to center, I need to run an electric. But, I need to find an electric that is thin enough to fit with the clearance I have available, ~4.25 inches.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #244
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post

Paint is going on better today, probably because I'm not rushing it. I'm still researching the fan thing. Because the water pump isn't close enough to center, I need to run an electric. But, I need to find an electric that is thin enough to fit with the clearance I have available, ~4.25 inches.
You can paint my bumper and cloaks when I get them

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Unread 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #245
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

As long as you want a spray bomb job....

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #246
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As long as you want a spray bomb job....
So you finally decided to go electric...is there a reason why you don't want to just trim the fan you have?

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #247
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
So you finally decided to go electric...is there a reason why you don't want to just trim the fan you have?
This is why. Basically, I feel that putting a fan small enough to fit will degrade my cooling capacity.

Quote:
I tried putting the Jeep fan on just for fitment, and it contacts the top of the fan shroud. I measured from the threaded snout on the water pump pulley to the top and bottom of the shroud and it's way off. 8" to the top, about 10.75" to the bottom. It's as if the engine is sitting way too high. The engine mounts were installed exactly as AA spec'd, and as low as I'd ever want them. In fact, they are a little too low for my liking, but I wasn't going to try to move them.

So even if I cut that Dodge fan down to 9" or less, that leaves over 2" at the bottom of the shroud open with no fan blowing across. I'm not sure what affect that would have on my cooling? I have a little room at the top where I could move the shroud up by redrilling the holes, but I'd estimate that only gaining me about 0.5".
Maybe I could build my own shroud?

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #248
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Maybe I could build my own shroud?
Might be cheaper haha.

Unread 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #249
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe. I might still have other clearance issues to worry about too.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #250
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

But I do like the idea of the two speed fan with a defeat switch.

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #251
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would look at fan designs, the shroud is only there to channel the air, an oscillating fan has no shroud and it still pushes air, the shroud is only there to prevent the fan from taking air from the surrounding areas and only allowing air to be drawn from across the radiator, as well as a safety feature to prevent contact with the fan blade when the engine is running...the fact that it is not centered or that it sits higher or lower is a non issue. Whether you build a shroud, or modify one, whether you trim the arc at the bottom of the shroud, you will be fine. Most shrouds are not centered, most clutches do not sit in the center of the radiator either....
I think you may be over thinking this fan thing...
I also think you may be convinced you want the electric fan, but can't commit :laugh
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #252
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You are probably correct on all counts, especially the inability to commit.

Anyone know how deep the Taurus fan is?

Quote:
Unread 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #253
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I guess I think about failures, if you are out wheeling and your electric fan tanks, whether your motor is running or your wheels are turning, it's gonna leave you in a bad way, with a mechanical fan if your motor is running, and the wheels are turning, your engine is cooling(assuming your other cooling system components are doing their job) and a thermal fan clutch failure is almost a never happening event... When it fails, it typically seizes to always on..
This is the angle I am coming from when building my jeeps, what is gonna work and is least likely to fail... Electric motor fail rates are higher than thermal clutches
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #254
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
But I do like the idea of the two speed fan with a defeat switch.
When you say "defeat switch", do you mean a manual on/off switch?

Are you too far along to move the engine back, in order to gain more room for an electric fan? I had to do that with my V8 magnum conversion, but my engine is more old school, it just has the magnum heads. I relocated mine back because I was dead set on using a '95 Ford T-bird fan, which is the same as the vaunted Lincoln MKVIII fan, except it has a 2 speed motor instead of a variable speed motor. It's 5-1/2" deep, and I have 3/16" clearance at the water pump pulley bolts.
Unread 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #255
Copperhead89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
I guess I think about failures, if you are out wheeling and your electric fan tanks, whether your motor is running or your wheels are turning, it's gonna leave you in a bad way, with a mechanical fan if your motor is running, and the wheels are turning, your engine is cooling(assuming your other cooling system components are doing their job) and a thermal fan clutch failure is almost a never happening event... When it fails, it typically seizes to always on..
This is the angle I am coming from when building my jeeps, what is gonna work and is least likely to fail... Electric motor fail rates are higher than thermal clutches
And for that reason, I'll have a spare fan motor packed away in my rig when I hit the trails.

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.