Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #226
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Here you go. You can see the fresh cut marks on the holes I made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #227
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. I got some miscellaneous stuff done tonight. Replaced both front brake lines. Might do the rear later, but it's fine for now. Re-installed the brake pedal, adjusted the brake light switch and vacuum bled the brakes. I still need to bleed the rears, but might not do that until I replace the rear line.

Here's the fan situation:

There's pretty good contact on the upper radiator hose. Even if there was a shroud there, it might still be an issue because the contact is right at the radiator inlet neck. I have to do some homework an see if I can fit the Taurus fan with 4.25" of clearance. I don't think it will clear. I can shave the water pump pulley snout a little, but not much.

I have 1.5" between my radiator and fan clutch.

Quote:
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #228
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Clearance from the fan and clutch shouldn't be a problem, looks like you have plenty of room in that regard if you have that much front to back movement in your drivetrain I think you may have bigger issues :laugh
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #229
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking with the shroud and ZJ fan you would be fine as far as clearing the hose, here is a photo of a ZJ mechanical fan and tj shroud with a Dakota upper hose... The fan blade looks like a non issue with the shroud

image-2633685021.jpg
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #230
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not worried about the mechanical fan clutch clearance to the radiator, that looks fine. It's the interference with the upper radiator hose that I think will be a problem, even with a slightly shorter ZJ fan.

The article that went with that photo also said the mechanical fan was from a 5.9 ZJ, which I don't think exists.

Think the 5.2 fan will bolt to the Ram fan clutch?

Quote:
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #231
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The 5.9 limited ZJ did come with a mechanical fan till 1998 the 5.2 and 5.9 were the same fan blade setup, and yes the Dodge clutch will accept the ZJ blade. The 4 bolt pattern is the exact same

Here is a pretty good indicator that the ZJ came with a thermal clutch fan (mechanical) from 94-98
And that they used the same clutch, and fan.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51202%200014.htm

http://www.rammoparparts.com/oem-par...blade/52027888
Unread 01-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #232
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Confirmation that the fan clutch will work with the different fan blades....

http://www.shopping.com/jeep-grand-c...CB3YUSA==/info

Just so you know I'm not guessing with the advice or knowledge
Unread 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #233
greenmachine99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin
The 5.9 limited ZJ did come with a mechanical fan till 1998 the 5.2 and 5.9 were the same fan blade setup, and yes the Dodge clutch will accept the ZJ blade. The 4 bolt pattern is the exact same

Here is a pretty good indicator that the ZJ came with a thermal clutch fan (mechanical) from 94-98
And that they used the same clutch, and fan.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/51202%200014.htm

http://www.rammoparparts.com/oem-par...blade/52027888
The 5.9 was only made in 98. Wiki says 5.9s had and electric fan. The 5.2 always had a mech fan 93-98.
greenmachine99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #234
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine99 View Post
The 5.9 was only made in 98. Wiki says 5.9s had and electric fan. The 5.2 always had a mech fan 93-98.
Yeah, despite what the parts books say, I think this is the case.

I'm going to take the fan shroud off my 2005 and see if it will work and where clearance issues are. The junk yard I was going to go to is closed on Saturday. If the fan clutch bolts to the ZJ fan, I'll just do that. I can find them on ebay for $35 or so. My specific engine (2000 Ram 5.9) isn't listed in the link above, but I think the point is one-size-fits-all.

Quote:
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #235
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jason, have you considered trimming the tips of the fan blade from your dodge fan? If you were to scribe a line that followed the curve and took off the 3/4" or so that is over the ZJ fan, you would not lose the pitch of the blade or it's effective cooling, you'd gain the extra blades over the ZJ 5 blade fan, which ultimately would increase cooling regardless, you'd be into it under an hour with the only tools really needed being a marker or scratch awl, a pair of aviation snips (red or greens would work, just determines the direction from which you start the cut) or a cut off wheel, and a grinder to smooth the edges when you are done. You know now the measurement for the blade, you have a shroud you can use to verify fit, and you already have the Dodge blade. Why not give it a shot??
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #236
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangintin View Post
Jason, have you considered trimming the tips of the fan blade from your dodge fan? If you were to scribe a line that followed the curve and took off the 3/4" or so that is over the ZJ fan, you would not lose the pitch of the blade or it's effective cooling, you'd gain the extra blades over the ZJ 5 blade fan, which ultimately would increase cooling regardless, you'd be into it under an hour with the only tools really needed being a marker or scratch awl, a pair of aviation snips (red or greens would work, just determines the direction from which you start the cut) or a cut off wheel, and a grinder to smooth the edges when you are done. You know now the measurement for the blade, you have a shroud you can use to verify fit, and you already have the Dodge blade. Why not give it a shot??
You know, I had that same thought late last night. I've got snips that would work. I might give it a go. The Dodge fan is a 5 blade as well. That would at least get me cooling.

Quote:
Unread 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #237
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It occurred to me when reading the posts this morning, the Durango blade I had was definitely 6 blades as memory serves me, the pitch of the blades in either setup will determine the cfm, so trimming the blade length along with a shroud and a much smaller surface area of the radiator I would think you'd be ok for cooling.
If you add a winch or want extra cooling you could always fit up a small pusher fan
Unread 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #238
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Alright. Here's what I got.

My 6 cylinder fan shroud is spaced about 1" from the upper radiator inlet. Remember the Dodge fan contacted the upper hose, so I'd need to shave 1"+ off the fan.

Here's the Jeep 4.0 fan next to the Dodge 5.9 fan:

The Jeep fan is 9.25" from the center of the clutch to the end of the blade:

The Dodge fan is 10" from the center of the clutch to the end of the blade:

I tried putting the Jeep fan on just for fitment, and it contacts the top of the fan shroud. I measured from the threaded snout on the water pump pulley to the top and bottom of the shroud and it's way off. 8" to the top, about 10.75" to the bottom. It's as if the engine is sitting way too high. The engine mounts were installed exactly as AA spec'd, and as low as I'd ever want them. In fact, they are a little too low for my liking, but I wasn't going to try to move them.

So even if I cut that Dodge fan down to 9" or less, that leaves over 2" at the bottom of the shroud open with no fan blowing across. I'm not sure what affect that would have on my cooling? I have a little room at the top where I could move the shroud up by redrilling the holes, but I'd estimate that only gaining me about 0.5".

Quote:
Unread 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #239
WhiteWrangler95
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great!
WhiteWrangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #240
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I got tired of fussing with the fan, so I took the grille apart and painted it.

Quote:

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.