Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSpiderwebshade @ JeepHut.com

Unread 12-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #166
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Doing a definitive how-to on this will be impossible. I spent the day labeling each wire coming from the PCM; a tedious process to say the least. These stupid C103 and C104 plugs are unnecessary, but provide a way to remove the engine part of the wiring without disturbing the body wiring. IMO, it adds unneeded complexity. I split out the wires from the Dodge PDC that I don't need and the Jeep sensors from the Jeep harness. I started combining the harnesses at the C103 and C104 plugs by tracing each wire. I made most of my splices here thus far, but it was necessary to dissect these plugs to separate the Jeep sensor wiring.

Now I believe I have everything unneeded removed from both harnesses, and some parts of the harnesses combined.

Notes:

- I retained the Jeep Grey PCM plug and added the necessary Dodge wires (LDP. Cruise would be necessary too, if I was using it, but I am not.), and used the Dodge Black and White PCM plugs.
- All the necessary wiring for the a/c was present in the Jeep harness even though it does not have A/C. I retained the A/C wiring because it was already there, even though I will not have A/C when done.
- DO NOT take apart the PCM plugs. There is a method to remove the pins and you DO NOT need to take the plug apart to do it. (I'll detail this later.) If you take the plug apart, you will need to remove every wire and re-pin the plug one at a time. It's difficult to hold all of the wires and plug pieces. I ended up doing this several times because I broke pins or dropped the whole thing.
- Work in a large, comfortable area. Make a 4x8 table with sawhorses and a sheet of plywood. I started by spreading out on the garage floor, but moved to my large work bench after I was sore from crouching and bending.

I think I'm about halfway done.

Well thats one way to spend Christmas

Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #167
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wanna see how this thing ends up..... wrenching in the cold sucks....Good luck!
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #168
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Well thats THE BEST way to spend Christmas
Fify. I don't have any nearby family, and no wife / kids of my own, so I took advantage of the day off from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contdevelop View Post
I wanna see how this thing ends up..... wrenching in the cold sucks....Good luck!
Wrenching in the cold does indeed suck. That's why my garage is heated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #169
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Fify. I don't have any nearby family, and no wife / kids of my own, so I took advantage of the day off from work.

I'd probably get a lot more done as well if I didn't have any family around haha
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #170
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

^^ That's true. That's partly why I can spend so much time on the Jeep stuff.

I worked on the harness a little tonight. I got the speed sensor and 4WD indicator added to the Dodge harness, because I'm retaining the Jeep sensors. I labeled the other misc PDC wires too and have been working on figuring out where those go. One issue is a transmission control relay I think I need to work into the Jeep PDC. I need to look a little harder, but I think this is missing from the Jeep and required to control the auto. Yee haw.

Quote:
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #171
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The trans relay should all be in the dodge harness, you should have the relay from the dodge and be able to plug it into the jeep PDC, I imagine this should all be pretty straight forward, since I am converting an auto harness to manual harness I have had to remove quite a bit so I do know what you need is all there, just a matter of getting the wires to the PDC and the relay itself.
Sounds like you are hammering away and making good progress!
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #172
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, getting started on the harness was the hardest part. It's all pretty intimidating. If I was using the same type of trans, it would have been a little easier. Instead of a park/neutral switch, the manual just has a reverse light switch that is plugged into where the park/neutral switch would go if it was present. It was just a matter of following the wires, removing the Jeep switch and splicing in the Dodge park/neutral. I haven't had time to get into the Dodge PDC to look for the relay, but I got most of the wires labeled so I know where they go. I have a few ground wires scattered here and there that need to get hooked up, then I'm going to go over everything again to make sure nothing is fubar'd.

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #173
87yellowyj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's a lot of wires. Id be overwhelmed. You sure did get a good deal on that jeep too.
87yellowyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #174
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yellowyj View Post
That's a lot of wires. Id be overwhelmed. You sure did get a good deal on that jeep too.
Thanks. It was/is truly overwhelming. I'd love to say that I just jumped in with a multimeter and soldering iron and just heroically melded the two harnesses together, as that is pretty much how I picture everyone else doing it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I might have spent two evenings staring at it before I actually touched the thing, thinking to myself, "this is never going to run again."

I'm satisfied with the price I paid for the Jeep, but wish I could find one of those deals that I hear about where someone paid 200 or 800 for a TJ. I'm just not that lucky.

Quote:
Unread 12-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #175
87yellowyj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Haha I would have done the same thing, and I did multiple times when building my jeep. Just lucky enough that the po was a mechanic and the only nice thing on the jeep was a new motor.

And those deals seem to get snatched up so quick I never get the chance, I'd still consider you to have done pretty darn good though.
87yellowyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:07 AM   #176
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Since I was out playing in the snow, I opened the hood to the Dodge and pulled that trans relay. I'm going to work on finding it a home in the Jeep PDC. I also noticed a relay in the Dodge labeled "security," so I sure hope that it wasn't equipped with SKIM. I hope to put some time into that harness tonight.

I ordered these a while ago, just for fun, and they finally showed up. There's supposed to be another "5.9," but it was missing.

Quote:
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #177
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Adding the 46RE transmission control relay to the Jeep PDC

Transmission relay:

This update brought to you by Goose Island, "Mild Winter"

I stared tonight by addressing this transmission relay. The Jeep had no wiring related to any kind of transmission relay. I assume it's not needed for the 30RH/32RH because they are controlled hydraulically, whereas my 46RE is electric.

(Bangintin; you said earlier that the relay was part of the harness. It is integral to the harness, but is not a part of it, per se. Your statement confused me because I expected the relay to be wired and packaged separate of the PDC. The transmission control relay is in the PDC, with the other relays. Perhaps you were too busy being on vacation to clarify. )

I pulled the relay from the old Dodge PDC for the transmission control. Once I identified the correct wires, I found an empty spot in the Jeep PDC:

I followed the wires on my new harness and reviewed the schematics to make sure I had the correct wires for the transmission control relay.

I found a unused, fused power feed for my new relay location. I used the rear defrost, an option my Jeep is not equipped with. I removed the wire from the relay socket it would normally go to and cut the end off. After testing fitment in the PDC socket, I replaced the end with a normal spade plug from my junk in the garage. I did this for each of the 4 wires I needed.

Here are the connections I made. Maybe someone will find this useful.
My code is: Relay pin # = relay post # = circuit color (junction) where it goes.
  • Pin 1 = Post #85 = A30 22PK (C130) to PCM C2 Pin 30
  • Pin 2 = Post #86 = T125 18DB (S180) to: LDP, C130, S116, PCM C3 Pin 25, Generator (-) ((This is the "Generator Source" on the PCM))
  • Pin 3 = Post #30 = BK/VT ((This was originally fuse #15 in the Jeep PDC, normally used for the rear defrost.))
  • Pin 5 = Post #87 = T16 18RD (C130) to transmission solenoid
  • Pin 4 is unused. This is post 87A and normally closed.

Note, I chose the rear defrost wire to power this circuit because it was of adequate size for my circuit. The Dodge FSM lists a 20 amp fuse feeding this relay. The defrost circuit I used for this is set up for a 30 amp fuse. I contemplated using the ABS wiring, another thing my Jeep wasn't equipped with, but that was only a 10 amp circuit.

After that, I put the relay in place. Even without the wires connected, the relay stays put, but I had to put pressure on the relay to keep it in place when connecting the wires in the back of the PDC. It took quite a bit of pressure to ensure the spade clips were seated on the blades of the relay. I took it apart a few times to make sure I knew they were seated well.

From the visible side of the PDC, it looks like it belongs there:

One downside is that I will not be able to simply pull out the relay and insert a new one if it ever needs replacing because the spade clips don't "click" and lock into the PDC socket's plastic housing. I believe there is no chance that the wires will come loose, but I will have to tear the PDC case apart if I ever need to replace the relay. If I was trying to be *perfect* I would find the correct clips and use those instead.

Feel free to applaud.

Quote:
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #178
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I applaud you!

I guess I meant that the wiring was all in the dodge harness, the relay was in the dodge PDC, and that fitting it into the jeep pdc wouldn't be too tough... Glad to hear you got it fingered out :-)
Yes, I am at Disney while I type this, and while I am away from the jeep, I'm still rooting for all of you in your projects, as I hope you'll all be there when I get back to mine next week, I believe it's under 2 full feet of snow now.
Unread 12-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #179
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere. Even when this wiring harness is done, I have A LOT of work left to do.

Quote:
Unread 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #180
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These are the jeeps I'm seeing down here...so ridiculous

image-2109851435.jpg

Tags
magnum , ugly betty , v8 conversion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.