Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ugly Betty - TJ Magnum V8 Conversion and more

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #151
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got the broken bolts out and the headers in for clearance. Going to have to re-route the tranny cooler lines. Again. Looks good otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #152
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Got the broken bolts out and the headers in for clearance. Going to have to re-route the tranny cooler lines. Again. Looks good otherwise.

Those look familiar

My radiator took about a month, but they told me they were making it from scratch. It's seriously of a great quality and was a bolt on setup... It's worth the wait for the price.

Great Progress!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #153
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynfw100 View Post
Those look familiar

My radiator took about a month, but they told me they were making it from scratch. It's seriously of a great quality and was a bolt on setup... It's worth the wait for the price.

Great Progress!
Familiar indeed. No matter what I did, I couldn't see a good way to shift the transmission. The factory downpipe is right in the way. I didn't have any other choice really. And they have to flow better than the cast stockers. That won't hurt one bit either.

Quote:
Unread 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #154
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There were a few spots on the tub where the front fenders mount that started to develop some rust. I ground it down to bare metal and sprayed some primer on that area. I also roughed up the firewall and shot that with some flat black since it was right in front of me.

The engine is now sitting on the mounts, and not suspended by the crane for the first time since this build started.

I believe this calls for dancing fruit.

Quote:
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #155
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The drivetrain is now completely supported. I used the Ram transmission mount. All I did was cut a couple oval shaped holes in the skid plate. This gets everything cleared pretty well, and my rear driveshaft at a sensible angle. When I had the tcase pushed up into the tub, the rear DS was ridiculous. Took care of a few minor odds and ends as well.

Now, I turn my focus to these two giant piles of wires.

Quote:
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #156
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The drivetrain is now completely supported. I used the Ram transmission mount. All I did was cut a couple oval shaped holes in the skid plate. This gets everything cleared pretty well, and my rear driveshaft at a sensible angle. When I had the tcase pushed up into the tub, the rear DS was ridiculous. Took care of a few minor odds and ends as well.

Now, I turn my focus to these two giant piles of wires.
Lol, good luck. I used some digital copies of FSMS that I got from dodgeforum.com. Now for the tj wiring, can't help ya

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1993-2-5l-jeep-wrangler-build-5-2l-swap-1210512
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #157
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have an FSM for the TJ, and a 2001 Ram. I hope it's close enough to work.

Quote:
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #158
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure if you figured out your trany shifter yet. I have a yj that I put a 5.2 into with a 46rh a couple years ago, I used the shifter from a jeep grand cherokee and its worked perfectly. just to give you another avenue to check out looks gd so far you will definetly enjoy it

MODIFY, ADAPT, & OVERCOME
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #159
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the wiring colors do change from year to year, and in each application, I just spent 12 hours yesterday going thru it, and as long as you verify everything from pin to pin, it doesnt matter if all the wires were black or white.
I have a FSM from my 99 Jeep, and the 99 dodge ( i have both the durango and ram truck books)
I have it pretty well broken down and fresh on my mind if you need to brainstorm or discuss.
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #160
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

You know, I need to brainstorm a little. I stared at the harnesses for a little while, then took the Dodge C3 (I think, can't recall right now) plug apart. I stripped some of the wire conduit off. I hope to keep some of the sections together as they exist on the Dodge harness (like the left side injectors and other sensors on that side of the engine; right side injectors and that side of the engine), but not sure if I'm going to be able to? I was surprised to see some of the wires from the sensors went to the PDC instead of the PCM on the Dodge harness. The C103 and C104 plugs are giving me trouble too; I don't understand why they are necessary.

My email just dinged with the reply on your build thread, so I'm going to read it before I get into this too much.

Quote:
Unread 12-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #161
bangintin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

well, the C103 and C104 wires are important because they are tied into the C3 plug of the Jeep wiring (which ties into your interior fuse block, instrument panel, it is also at these plugs that certain rear harness and other related components are routed.
the dodge PDC seems to be different from the Jeep in that it does send out a lot of the signals and many of the sensors and functions do go through it, the Jeep is a little less complicated, but similar.
in order to get the PDC wiring to the Passenger side you will need to break apart that left bank loom, but it keeps itself in pretty good order, you will be removing quite a few wires from that side, I have them all labeled and can get you a breakdown of them.
you will not have to get into any of the loom on the passenger side engine loom, nothing here moves or changes.
in the rear loom I chose to keep the O2 sensor wiring in tact as they are all tied in, I figured why bother adding the ones from the jeep loom, saves a soldered joint or 2.
what I did was removed all the loom on the rear engine, trans, and driver side, as well as all of it that goes to the C1, and C2 plugs, there are things that you will be removing from the PDC and tying into the the PCM plugs and PDC connections on the jeep so I found this was easiest, and popping the pins out of the plug is a simple process that took nothing more than a mechanical pencil tip.
I will get some pics posted and we can discuss it all in the threads so we can share it to the masses

Last edited by bangintin; 12-22-2012 at 09:45 PM..
bangintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #162
87yellowyj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Going to be an awesome build.
87yellowyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:49 PM   #163
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Unread 12-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #164
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yellowyj View Post
Going to be an awesome build.
Thanks. It's been fun so far. I'm now at the point where I want to get this damn engine running and start building other stuff.

We are discussing the wiring a little bit here in Bangintin's 5.9 build, but I want to keep my thoughts documented here as well.

He posted some good pics of his wiring, but I noticed that his C103 and C104 plugs are different from mine.

My 1997 C103 (4 pins x 4 rows)

My 1997 C104 (5 pins x 2 rows)

1999 C103

1999 C104

I peeked at a 1998 to see where it changed, and that's different still, with a 14 pin C103 and a 10 pin C104. For these two plugs, there's no one solution; it's dependent on the year of the Jeep.

I started labeling the PCM wires last night and got through the Grey plugs on both harnesses. The FSM describes the wire color as "18DG/WT". I found that there are other circuits that may use that wire color (DG/WT) but that number designation in combination with the wire color is unique to that part of the circuit. The Dodge harness and Jeep harness are similar, but some of the wire colors are different and circuits named differently, even if they control the same thing. I moved some of the wires from the Dodge harness to the Jeep harness. IIRC, I moved the leak detection pump and O/D off wires. The Jeep was a manual, and also had no LDP.

What I haven't taken the time to figure out yet is what should be on the other end of the wires that I'm moving to the Jeep Grey plug. The few wires that I moved run to the Dodge PDC. That must mean they went to a fuse (or relay?) in the Dodge PDC. Do I need to connect them to the Jeep PDC, or is there another end to that wire on the Dodge harness that I need to extract, and splice to the wire I moved to the Jeep grey plug?

I think that the other two plugs, black and white, are pretty similar between the two vehicles, with the exception of 4 more injectors. Next to-do is compare the two blacks and whites to see what's different and label the wires.
capture2.png

capture3.png

Quote:
Unread 12-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #165
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Doing a definitive how-to on this will be impossible. I spent the day labeling each wire coming from the PCM; a tedious process to say the least. These stupid C103 and C104 plugs are unnecessary, but provide a way to remove the engine part of the wiring without disturbing the body wiring. IMO, it adds unneeded complexity. I split out the wires from the Dodge PDC that I don't need and the Jeep sensors from the Jeep harness. I started combining the harnesses at the C103 and C104 plugs by tracing each wire. I made most of my splices here thus far, but it was necessary to dissect these plugs to separate the Jeep sensor wiring.

Now I believe I have everything unneeded removed from both harnesses, and some parts of the harnesses combined.

Notes:

- I retained the Jeep Grey PCM plug and added the necessary Dodge wires (LDP. Cruise would be necessary too, if I was using it, but I am not.), and used the Dodge Black and White PCM plugs.
- All the necessary wiring for the a/c was present in the Jeep harness even though it does not have A/C. I retained the A/C wiring because it was already there, even though I will not have A/C when done.
- DO NOT take apart the PCM plugs. There is a method to remove the pins and you DO NOT need to take the plug apart to do it. (I'll detail this later.) If you take the plug apart, you will need to remove every wire and re-pin the plug one at a time. It's difficult to hold all of the wires and plug pieces. I ended up doing this several times because I broke pins or dropped the whole thing.
- Work in a large, comfortable area. Make a 4x8 table with sawhorses and a sheet of plywood. I started by spreading out on the garage floor, but moved to my large work bench after I was sore from crouching and bending.

I think I'm about halfway done.

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.