Ty's YJ Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ty's YJ Build

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #46
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Nice work. What do you plan on running for flares?

schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #47
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have a set of Bushwacker flares that I'm throwing on today.

And here's yesterday's update:

First of all, I made myself a priming tool since i could not find one anywhere:

It may be crude, but it worked perfectly. I had 60PSI oil pressure using that thing in a drill.

I installed the reverse lights:

I then filled all the fluids, used valvoline conventional 10w-40 with a bottle of break-in oil and connected up the battery:

She fired up on the third try (adjusted the timing a little each time until it fired). Cam break-in went flawlessly. She did get pretty warm, but that aux fan i run mounted to the radiator kept it below 240* the whole time.

Ran it for 25 minutes fluctuating between 2000 and 2500 RPMs then immediately shut it down. Noticed that the rear coolant hose from the intake to the heater core had split at the intake so i need to replace that today, but other than that I had no issues at all. I drained the oil and changed the oil and filter. I use this stuff with each oil change:

The machine shop where I had the work done sells it for $5 a bottle.

I did a little trim work in preparation for the rear flares while letting her cool off:

The cut follows the inner fender well lining.

At that point I called it a day, and here's why:
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #48
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so I attempted to time it today. Initially, I had it timed at 8* but timing it by peak vacuum minus 2" Hg put it at 16* BTDC. I then tuned the carb and took care of a few other problems. When I went to re-check the timing (note that the distributor had been tightened down with it at 16*) it was way off the scale at idle though nothing had been changes other than carb tuning. Engine still sounded fine, et cetera.

There's a tiny little bit of wobble on the harmonic balancer and I get bad belt squeal as the RPMs increase. I'm thinking this is all due to the bad harmonic balancer. Any thoughts on this issue?

Another issue I'm having is with it overheating. During break-in it hit 240* which I was told is normal. Since then it's gotten to 240* while idling every single time. I'm fairly certain I've gotten all of the air out of the cooling system using various methods. When I tried letting the engine idle with the radiator cap off there was a lot of bubbling happening that never got any better. It almost seemed like a bad head gasket. I'm praying that's not the case with a fresh rebuild. Any ideas what would cause the bubbling out of the radiator cap?
Unread 06-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #49
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You need to plug the vacuum advance when you set the timing. It sounds like you do need a new harmonic balancer.Try putting the front of the jeep on a incline when burping.
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #50
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The vacuum advance was plugged, as usual. My theory is the outer ring is slipping on the harmonic balancer. I'm going to pull it and inspect it tomorrow and completely re-time the engine and try re-installing it. I had some problems getting it installed so I'm wondering if its just not quite all the way on. That will also tell me if its slipping or not for certain.

The rattling from the transmission is either loose torque converter bolts (I doubt this given that I torqued them on there good and used blue loctite) or the shroud thing that goes in between the block and bellhousing is bent/loose. I'm betting its that shroud. Any suggestions on that one?
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #51
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I installed a new harmonic balancer, tuned the timing and the carb, fixed the air cleaner hold down, found the rattling from the trans and took it for a 'shakedown' run. Whew. It's been a few busy, very hot days.

New transfer case shift lever (after i sheared the old one off):

Found the rattle that I swore was loose torque converter bolts:

I think I'm going to buy a Thrush Turbo Welded and clamp it on next pay day.

Took the dogs for some ice cream on the shakedown run. Ran beautifully, no issues at all.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #52
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Caliches!!!!!! I love the Gizmo. Every time I'm in town I take a picture of it and text it to my wife, just to piss her off. She has been to LC with me a few times over the years.
The Jeep is looking good and it's been hot here also. I just got out of my pool, the water is 85 Deg and it was cold.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #53
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, we try to take the dogs there every once in a while. It's a nice break for us too.

Anyways, here's a little update:

The jeep is running great and slowly being broke in. I've got about 80 miles on it at this point. I'd love to take it to Elephant butte this weekend (75 miles on the highway), but I'm not sure it's ready for that. Any thoughts here?

I keep having to tune the carburetor. It will run great for 20 miles or so then slowly start running (idling) like crap again. Re-tuning the idle air-fuel screws always solves the issue. The only thing I can think of is the compression and vacuum are slowly improving as it wears in thus the 'ideal' tune is constantly changing with it.

I have yet to really open it up too much as i want to break it in first, but i can already see a significant improvement in power.

Here's a few pics:

Any thoughts on when it would be safe to do 150 miles round trip on the highway?
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #54
ruff88xj

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Digging the build so far, I may have missed it but part of NM are you located?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/y...92-yj-1766433/
ruff88xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #55
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

/\ He lives in Las Cruces.

I had a 69 Chevy truck years ago that I bought from my father-in-law. He had put a rebuilt carb on it and it never ran right. I bought a rebuild kit and after taking it apart I cleaned it really good. I found a small metal piece in the seat of the float.

I then put it back together and used the paper calipers that came in the kit to measure the linkage adjustment. Everything was out according to what the instructions said they should be. After bending the linkage to where it should be the truck ran great for as long as I owned it.

Just because it was rebuilt doesn't mean it is right.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM   #56
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I considered that. I pulled the top off the carb with it running and everything is functioning perfectly. I'm getting about 1.5" more vacuum on the gauge now. I'm really thinking its because the rings are seating and everything is wearing in, thus throwing the carb out of adjustment. After re-tuning the idle screws it runs great again. At this point I have about ~80 miles on it and am getting very little blow-by (less than i was previously) and am pulling about 16.5" vacuum. Not bad at all from what i understand.

I'm going to call the machine shop in the morning about whether or not its safe to run it on the highway yet.
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:42 PM   #57
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I havent updated this in a while as I've been pretty busy finishing up medic school. Here's the updates:

I had a dynomax muffler welded in for $85 at a local exhaust shop. No difference from the stock muffler (aside from no more drone from the massive leak).

Took it on the Dinner in the Desert with the Las Cruces 4 Wheel Drive Club. It ran a little warm part of the way, but not too bad. The electric fan kept it under 230*.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of my Jeep on any obstacles (once again) as I (once again) could not convince the wife to jump out and take any.

I added some door limiting straps that were made for me:

One of these days I may somehow manage to get pictures of my Jeep wheeling, until then I just have the poser shots I took myself.
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #58
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Small update here:

I've been having problems with the carb. Since the rebuild it's been running lean on the mains. I originally had size 46 jets and have jumped up to 50s and it was still running lean. Rather than continue to buy jets I used this as an opportunity to convince the wife I needed fuel injection.

So sometime in the next few weeks:

image-522518808.jpg
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #59
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, so the Howell TBI install:

First, I had to relocate the amp which i had behind the glovebox where the computer used to be. The howell wiring harness is specifically designed to mount the computer in this location, so i needed to make room. Initially i went back and forth and tried to find a 'safe' location to mount the amp. I didnt like the option of mounting it under the seats because I drive the Jeep with a bikini top most of the year and this would leave it in harm's way. In the end i decided to modify my center console to mount the amplifier in the unused space under the cupholder.

Once that was resolved the Howell install began in earnest. I'm not about to go into too much detail as there are plenty of write-ups on the installation but I will say that the kit was VERY complete and very well laid out. Every piece of the wiring harness was labeled and easily installed. I had to lengthen a few of the connectors in order to make the wire routing work for me, but the instructions mentioned that this was likely needed regardless.

I pieced together an intake off of amazon using a Spectre brand plenum, 22* elbow and a universal 4" diameter filter. The plenum is VERY high quality, well worth the money and much better than the ebay intake i used to have on the carb years ago. I only ran into one problem with it. I initially planned the intake to place the filter as close to the stock air inlet in the side of the grill as possible. After mocking it up I noticed that it would be in the perfect position to allow water thrown off of the mechanical fan to hit the filter directly.

So, for the time being I'm running just the plenum and the filter directly on the end of the plenum like so:

I cant say enough about how much the kit improved the performance of my Jeep. It's running great now and has eliminated many of my complaints. It's also provided a noticeable boost in power.
Unread 10-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #60
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My wife and I had a camping trip planned so 2 days after the Howell install I hitched up the trailer and off we went to the mountains northeast of here. The Jeep performed MUCH better pulling the trailer and I even managed to pass a few 18 wheelers on grades while pulling it this time.

(My wife wont be happy that I posted that picture.)

Camp cooking:

(ground beef, green onion, garlic, potatoes, salt, pepper and whole Hatch, NM green chile)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.