Ty's YJ Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ty's YJ Build

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #31
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it seems like it will work nicely. Should be pretty easy to disconnect and store in the locked center console. Mine is mounted under the dash just to the passenger side of the ash tray.

On another note, I spent most of the day sanding gasket surfaces (intake/exhaust, fuel pump, fuel filter, thermostat, etc). Got them all cleaned up nice and mounted the the fuel pump, installed the thermostat (drilled a 1/8" hole in the top first to help with air bubbles) and the exhaust manifold. The intake manifold is at the machine shop being cleaned up and having the three EGR ports sealed off. Then it will be installed. I'm going to do some shopping around to try to find replacement gaskets for the MC2100 adapter plate.

I also mounted the alternator today without issues and found pipe fittings to block off the ports on the AC compressor for the time being. Next time I have some money to spend on the Jeep I'm going to buy the components to convert it for OBA. Until then, its just an idler.

tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #32
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, big update today.

I started off today rebuilding my MC2100:

Then I picked up the intake manifold from the machine shop. They cleaned it up, milled it so it is flat and plugged the EGR holes for me for $20. I didnt take any pics before I started mounting the carburetor but here is what I have:

I then mounted the intake and began running vacuum and fuel lines:

I added a cheap clear filter before the fuel pump to try and prolong the life of my fuel pump. We'll see if it effects the ability of the fuel pump to pull gas from the tank. If it does, I'll get rid of it. If it works it will save me a little money and headaches over time.

That was about as far as I made it today. The list of remaining tasks:
run transmission lines
time the motor and install distributor
finish installing vacuum lines
switch brackets on PS pump (v-belt to serpentine) and reinstall PS pump
install AC compressor and belt
remount the grill and radiator
adjust kickdown linkage
fabricate shelf for fuse / relay boxes and various other wiring pieces
re-wire engine bay
complete re-wire of dash
install KC lights on windshield
fire it up!

Last edited by tslroper; 05-24-2013 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: editing to-do list
Unread 05-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Making a note for myself for future use and for anyone searching (as i was unable to find this information):

On the TF999 auto transmission the forward fluid line coming out of the transmission is the hot line and the rear line is the cool return line. So it should be plumbed as follows:

forward trans port to driver's side of radiator
rear trans port to passenger's side of radiator
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:20 PM   #34
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Started off today by installing the distributor. I timed the engine at 8* BTDC just based on the timing marks. It should be close enough to let me start it. Here's a pic:

Question about initial startup though. This is a new motor with a freshly ground crank and a new cam. I know you have to do the cam break-in, but how do you work that in with setting the timing and adjusting the carburetor? Do I just start it and perform cam break in regardless of whether its running a little rich or lean? What takes priority? I've never done this on a carbureted vehicle before. Any tips would be appreciated.

Serpentine belt drive all set up:

I also fabricated the shelf for the inner fender well that all of my electronics will be mounted to. No pictures of that, but I'll take some when I install it tomorrow. I plan to start re-wiring tomorrow.
Unread 05-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
87yellowyj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I previously had an 87 yj I rebuilt, fun project. The motor is looking great.
87yellowyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #36
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! It's certainly been a lot of fun and a great learning experience as well. Still wish I was able to drive it right now though
Unread 05-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #37
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, so not a lot happening lately. I was supposed to start my internship Monday which didnt happen for various reasons. I spent about an hour working on the Jeep today, so here's a short update:

I re-installed the grill and could not get the hood lined up properly with the fenders. I tried all the usual tricks (loosening all the bolts and pushing things around, repositioning hood, et cetera) but nothing worked. I loosened the new battery tray and voila! everything fit perfect. So off to Tractor Supply I went to pick up some longer bolts and spacers. With the spacers in there everything lines up perfectly.

My wife was also nice enough to take off the old fender flares for me. I'm replacing them with bushwacker pocket style flares for her sake (she doesnt like the mud that gets thrown inside the jeep by the portion of the tires sticking out past the flares). Pics of those within the next few days (hopefully), but here's a pic of the jeep without any flares:

I also mocked up the shelf i made for the fuse and relay boxes and various other electronics. It was rather windy today so ignore all the dust all over everything:

More to come tomorrow.
Unread 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #38
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got quite a bit more done today. Started the wiring in earnest, finished the shelf and got the relay boxes wired and installed. Tomorrow I hope to finish the wiring (haha yeah right!) and be able to fire it up on Saturday. Anyways, heres some pics:

Unread 06-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #39
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, so the engine bay wiring is 98% complete. I just have to finish up the electric choke and if you look closely in one of the pics there is a spool of 10g wire that needs to be run back to the reverse lights (via the loom with the wiring for the trans cooler). Once I'm done re-wiring behind the dash I will hook the battery up and start testing connections to ensure everything is wired correctly before I try starting her for the first time.

As part of this re-wiring the headlight harness was upgraded using two of the relays in the relay boxes and run with 10g cable (i had extra of it so I figured why not) and most of the connectors were replaced. This included:
both headlight connectors
both front turn signal connectors
both from marker light connectors
water temp sense connector
oil pressure switch connector
oil pressure gauge connector
and a few others im sure I'm forgetting.

I did this because most of them were pretty torn up and/or broke when i tried to disconnect them. I used The Repair Connector store (www.repairconnector.com) and they had most of them in stock at cheap prices. The headlight and front turn signal pieces were off the rack parts from autozone.

I also ordered a small 400W 4-channel amplifier. I have a cheap marine stereo in the Jeep now that cost me all of $30 and nobody has ever even attempted to steal it because it isnt worth the time. Thus I want to keep it, but its max rated output is 30W on 2 channels. It does however have pre-amp outputs, so the little amp will give me a bit more volume and the ability to add rear speakers a little later. I plan on installing the amp in the dash where the computer used to go.
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #40
Cuder
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That looks great. Looking at that many wires gives me a headache. Do you work at WSMR? I know alot of guys that work there.
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #41
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nah, I actually work for a company here in town. I'm hoping I'll have more of an update later this afternoon. Fitting the amp in that location in the dash wasnt as easy as i had hoped, but it looks like it will work with a little work.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #42
Kabocha
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The engine bay looks really clean. Nice work. Amazing progress.

Last edited by Kabocha; 06-04-2013 at 11:59 AM..
Kabocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #43
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabocha View Post
The engine bay looks really clean. Nice work. Amazing progress.
Thanks! It's been a long work in progress. I'm looking forward to wheeling the snot out of it once its done.

Oh, and the occasional camping trip with the wife!
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

And here's today's update:

I started out installing the amp and re-wiring behind the dash. It all went pretty smooth. The amp was just small enough to fit in there though I had to use RCA cables with a 90* bend in them because of the tight fit against the back of the glove box.

Here's a shot of the dash wiring. I'll post a finished (or nearly there) pic tomorrow.

After that I began installing the KC daylighters on the windshield so that I could route the wiring under the cowl. I'm going to leave you with just this one pic:

Unread 06-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #45
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, another small update here:

Wiring for windshield mounted KCs run:

Lights mounted:

The yellow covers had to go:

Interior wiring completed:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.