Ty's TJ Rubi - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ty's TJ Rubi

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 12-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ty's TJ Rubi

New here and to Jeeps, some of the pics are the same as my intro thread. Progress will be slow once the cheap stuff is done.

Specs
2005 Rubicon 34,500ish miles when I got it basically stock other Alpine cd player and 265 Pirellis

Plans, for now anyway
-few small things on that need to be fixed
-take off the trail rated badge
-265/75R16 MTZs
-small lift, 2" or so for now maybe a 4" down the road, 2/1 BB sitting on toolbox waiting for install, think I decided on 5100s for shocks but still need to order
-winch
-sway bar disconnects
-Smittybilt sport cage
-exhaust, intake, tune of some kind would be nice too, installed Thrush 14" case turbo and turndown
-Smittybilt G.E.A.R. seat covers, have one in and love it need another
-"Oh s**t" handles
-some audio, probably just Kicker speakers dash and roll bar and replace stock sub with Kicker, run it off an old Fosgate amp I have laying in my garage
-install my cb and get a 3' black Firestik
-other odds and ends
I'm open to ideas and suggestions

12-7-13 Purchased and 300 road trip home

12-9-13
Locker bypass

Dejugged the bumpers

Tylers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Figured out why the factory sub wasn't working, it was unhooked because it is badly blown, I'll have to admit I was a little disappointed but it happens. I have a game plan now, I don't want loud just a decent sounding stereo on the cheap, PO put in a nice Alpine head unit that I like so that saved me some money. I will make a box to replace the stocker in the counsel mounted with the stock box brackets and put a Rockford Fosgate P1 single 4 ohm 8" in it, run that with my MTX RT2100X that I have already and some sound deadening material to keep the center from rattling. Going to be able to get .3 cubic feet and Rockford recommends .2-.3 for the P1 so even with displacement (0.07) I should be golden still. Speakers will probably be Polk DXi460 in dash and DXi525 on the roll bar because I have had good luck with Polk in the past and they are marine rated.
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
sjones26573
GO GOATS!

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Subbed. I like to watch fresh builds from the younger crew. I'll help when I can.

The Yellowtail Build
FOR SALE
NIB HiLift HL-484 48" Cast/Steel Jack
4" Fabtech Coils/Shocks (TJ/LJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Braved the cold (-2* actual) today and took off the tube steps.

Unread 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have a stock sub with enclosure that I believe works that you could have. Send me 10 bucks for shipping and I'll throw it in a box. You have a good plan so by all means run with it, but if you didn't want to have to buy and fabricate new then I'd save you some time. I like new stuff though, so feel free to ignore me.
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to stick with my plan
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Want some opinions on wheel/tire setup. Wife got me a BB setup for Christmas, asked to make sure it would fit. She got me 1.75" and 0.75", I just wanted to bring it up a little and level it out and unless my tape measure lied 0.75-1" more in front will get flares sitting even. I have 265/75 Pirelli Scorpions on it now(not a fan) but they are still 32s and in decent shape. I also wondered with that size BB what supporting mods will I need if any, after I searched around it sounds like I should be ok without anything else for now since I'm not going up much. Thanks in advance to the owners of the Jeeps I snagged pic from.

Option 1, 265/75R16 MTR/Ks or Cooper STTs on my stock 16" Moabs, loved my MTRs on my old Silverado but have never heard a bad word from friends that run STTs either and I would probably add 1.5" spacers not sure if pic below has spacers or not

Moabrubi's Jeep

Option 2, JK Moabs with 255/75R17 BFG KMs on 1.5" Synergy adapters(pic below is 1.25" adapters)

RDaniel2405s Jeep
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You stole my build name kidding. I personally like TJ moabs better than JK moabs. And I believe they have less backspacing as well?

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Great minds think alike, actually I made my build then started looking at some and saw yours and thought crap I was trying to be original. Yea the tj moabs have less backspacing I think about an inch and a quarter and are actually 1/2" wider
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
LeeMasterGT
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would steer clear of the Cooper STTs. They aren't great off-road, they're VERY loud on the road, and I had lots of difficulty with wear on them. They don't like to stay round. I switched from them to the MTR-Ks this summer, and that's when I realized just how bad a tire they really were. The difference was immediately noticeable.
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up. My buddies that run them all have 8-9000 pound diesel trucks so always thought wear was from that.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Got my spacers today, got one of my G.E.A.R. seat covers the other day, still need to order other one. Thinking I'll probabaly go with the Skyjacker Hydro shocks and steering stabilizer for now. Just out of curiosity does anyone know what I will need for bump stop extensions with a 2" front and 1" rear spacer and those shocks? With in the next couple weeks I'll probably order stereo stuff, other seat cover and parts to make sway disconnects then around tax time it will be time for new shoes on it.
Unread 12-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You may be able to get away with the stock bumpstops, but you'll need to check that for yourself to be sure.

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Dug around my garage, found my audio crap tote. Turns out I had an old Jenson 10", MTX amp and wiring kit. So I stopped at Walmart scooped up a box for a 10" tossed it all in today. Now I have a little bump in the Jeep and it only cost me $30 so I'm pretty happy with it. The cap on the top is a brake clean cap that I used for a spacer lol, free and works great keeping the sub from hitting the tailgate. Need to clean up the wiring some but it was cold and I was in a hurry.

Unread 01-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #15
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hard to say with bumpstops. How long are you sticking with spacer setup? Buying shocks twice sucks.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.