Ty's TJ. - Page 137 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Ty's TJ.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Reply
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #2041
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 3,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
I will over thanksgiving break. Won't have much time until then.

Hopefully they fix the WRX and we can proceed with that deal. Not having the Jeep as a DD will be so much nicer. Then it can sit it pieces while we fix everything.
I sometimes think of getting a WK as my DD and selling the TJ...don't think I could do that though.

__________________
Wanted: Savvy/Currie 3" front springs

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #2042
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21

I sometimes think of getting a WK as my DD and selling the TJ...don't think I could do that though.
That thought crossed my mind about the WRX. But then I figured the WRX might end up like the TJ... Better to have a spare car lol
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:40 PM   #2043
jeepwrangler97
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 3,703
I had weird starting issues when my negative battery cable was corroded inside the cable. It wasn't grounding properly & caused weird starting issues. I could actually get it to start by grounding the battery to the engine block with a jumper cable. Since I replaced the cable, the issue is completely gone

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #2044
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97
I had weird starting issues when my negative battery cable was corroded inside the cable. It wasn't grounding properly & caused weird starting issues. I could actually get it to start by grounding the battery to the engine block with a jumper cable. Since I replaced the cable, the issue is completely gone

Sent by a messenger bird
Yeah I'm going to take care of some of the corrosion on the cables as well whenever I have time. Plus the jeep will get a tune up and thorough inspection.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #2045
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
So I went ahead and decided that, for now, everything suspension and driveline related is going to stay the way it is. At least until the jeep is DD worthy and problem free. It's just going to be easier and cheaper. That being said, I'm going to be replacing all of the bushings in the spare arms that I have and swapping them with the ones on the jeep now. I thought about getting replacement bushing for the trackbar, but then realized a full replacement is only like $60 tops.

I do have a couple questions though.

Should I get MOOG? Rock auto also has AC Delco, mevotech, and raybestos.

Rock auto has a MOOG trackbar that say "incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces" is this something I want? It's $20 more than the mevotech trackbar. Moog part number is DS1235

And finally, how likely is it that a trackbar fails while wheeling? Of course I'd like to have a spare, but only if there's a good possibility. Otherwise ill just replace the bushing and save the money.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #2046
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
So I went ahead and decided that, for now, everything suspension and driveline related is going to stay the way it is. At least until the jeep is DD worthy and problem free. It's just going to be easier and cheaper. That being said, I'm going to be replacing all of the bushings in the spare arms that I have and swapping them with the ones on the jeep now. I thought about getting replacement bushing for the trackbar, but then realized a full replacement is only like $60 tops.

I do have a couple questions though.

Should I get MOOG? Rock auto also has AC Delco, mevotech, and raybestos.

Rock auto has a MOOG trackbar that say "incl. powdered-metal gusher bearing to allow grease to penetrate bearing surfaces" is this something I want? It's $20 more than the mevotech trackbar. Moog part number is DS1235

And finally, how likely is it that a trackbar fails while wheeling? Of course I'd like to have a spare, but only if there's a good possibility. Otherwise ill just replace the bushing and save the money.
Don't bother replacing the stock track bar unless the bushings are absolutely shot, and if they are, put that $60 towards a MetalCloak track bar. Most Moog stuff is **** by the way.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #2047
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

Don't bother replacing the stock track bar unless the bushings are absolutely shot, and if they are, put that $60 towards a MetalCloak track bar. Most Moog stuff is ***** by the way.
How is raybestos? Never heard of them before.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #2048
Jankoid
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Albemarle, NC
Posts: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
How is raybestos? Never heard of them before.
No clue, but seriously, do not buy a stock replacement track bar. I'll give you one if you need it that badly.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #2049
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid

No clue, but seriously, do not buy a stock replacement track bar. I'll give you one if you need it that badly.
Will do. I don't know if mine is even bad, I just figured I'd look and ask questions. It looks like for all 14 control arm bushings, a trackbar bushing, and shipping, the total is $135.95. Not bad if that company is any good. Most of them were "one of our most popular parts."
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 05:57 PM   #2050
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,536
Raybestos does brakes. Not sure how i'd feel about suspension components from a brake company.

And I agree with Jake save for a 'Cloak for when you need it. I'll be investing in a 'Cloak TB as I get my **** i have now to work, before I can even think about 4 linking and all that ****
__________________
The Yellowtail Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #2051
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,656
Those aren't OE-quality replacements. They'll be cheaper knock-offs with faux 'Clevite' bushings. I know parts pretty damn well and even the 'high end' Moog stuff isn't up to OE quality. Spending the money on one makes no sense when there are people that have good-condition stockers sitting on the shelf taking up space that they'd let go for next to nothing. I've given away and thrown away stock control arms, track bars, sway bars, etc.

Either upgrade or have some nice people send you some stock stuff. If you're gonna upgrade, the MC bar is an excellent choice.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #2052
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Those aren't OE-quality replacements. They'll be cheaper knock-offs with faux 'Clevite' bushings. I know parts pretty damn well and even the 'high end' Moog stuff isn't up to OE quality. Spending the money on one makes no sense when there are people that have good-condition stockers sitting on the shelf taking up space that they'd let go for next to nothing. I've given away and thrown away stock control arms, track bars, sway bars, etc.

Either upgrade or have some nice people send you some stock stuff. If you're gonna upgrade, the MC bar is an excellent choice.
Is there nowhere that sells OE-quality replacements? Ill start look on here and CL for some takeoffs.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #2053
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
Are crown bushings any better?
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #2054
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.
 
sjones26573's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord/Harmony/Raleigh, NC
Posts: 9,536
I have a good guess but I've never used crown bushings before.
__________________
The Yellowtail Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2055
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,683
I guess a plus to using them is they come with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
nc guys

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.