TyJs slow build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Tcrouch22
1988 YJ Wrangler 

TyJs slow build

This is more of a thread for myself to document all the things that are done to the jeep it won't happen quickly and often times using things to cut costs but figured I would post it here being this is my main source of information.

Now a little background for those who care I bought this jeep almost 3 years ago for just under 3k after always wanting a jeep after seeing pictures of my dad's old missing one but I had to make the money to buy t first. Anyways I live in a county where you need emissions but being it was an odd year and the jeep was an 88 I knew I'd be able to drive it for awhile. It's was a pretty much bone stock 1988 4.2l 5 speed base yj with a soft top and half doors. Being Indiana can get cold I got a hardtop and hard doors from a cj for cheap and painted and cleaned them up. PO said engine was rebuilt at 80k because it had sat in a field for a long period of time (I doubt this story but he said the guy he bought it from told him that) the tac showed 160k miles. It came with a 3" bl (I know, i know) I loved driving it. The last time I really had a chance to drive it I was caught in a monsoon for 45 minutes of drive time without a top and the radio was ruined the speakers and it smelt terrible even after drying out for days with cleaning. Soon after money got tight and never got it to pass emissions even with a new mc carb, so my parents drive way it sat.

That all brings me to now. I recently bought a house with my fiancÚ and am getting married in 3 months. After getting my tax return and paying for the rest of the wedding/honeymoon/reception and spending countless hours reading on here I called my dad (lives >5 miles away) and told him I'd be over to pick the jeep up. After some gas and some starter fluid we got it started, there was pretty much zero brakes until pumped 5 times everytime you wanted to stop and after taking turns it would wanna die out from getting the ****ty had mixed with the new gas but we got it in the garage. I am no where near a mechanic or body work expert but I also am no fool around vehicles either.

Once I get on a photo account I will post some pictures so you can get a glimpse of what im working with. Sorry for such a long post just thought I'd give some background info for those who care!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Tcrouch22
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I forgot to mention along with the carb I nuttered it as well. Also the windshield frame has a huge rust hole and would leak which probably also contributed to ruining the radio that was in it. The following are things that I plan on doing

Soon:
-tear out carpet and seats and patching all rust spots (drivers floor pan on its way one of the bolts on the drivers seat ripped complete out)
-bedline tub
-fix small rust spots in frame
-while everything's out rewire a custom sound system (got new marine stereo with speakers plus some speakers I had laying around to go with a 12" sub and amp for a little extra bass
-replace windshield frame/glass/seals
-drop gas tank and clean out
-get gauges to work
-teamrush
-fix/repaint hard top inside and out
-replace sagged leafs(got oem lead springs from a friend who only put 1k miles on them before getting a lift as a gift)

In the near future:
-replace 3" with 1" bl
-LED interior lights
-new fenders and sliders with a step (fiancÚ is short)
-4.0 head on my 4.2 (hoping to stop the small blow by issue heard it's worked before plus heard its so what simple and worth the time and cheap cost. Can get a 4.0 head around here with intake and exhaust manifold for 50$)

More farther future:
-leaf spring lift
-bigger tires
-new axles/tf/trans

Wish list: v8 swap

FYI this jeep is gonna be more of a weekend fun in the mud, topless drives the work and the beach, save miles on my 2015 truck, teach her to drive a stick, and still look good jeep. Won't do any real rock crawling or interstate driving with it anytime soon.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Tcrouch22
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Okay so finally got tired of busting my knuckles trying to get bolts loose and got a cheap eclectic impact and it actually works really good! Zipped the back seat out and finally got all the carpet removed and ready to clean up. I am having a problem getting the torx bolts out for the seat belts anyone have any tips?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #4 of 4 Old 03-10-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tcrouch22
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Pic of what I'm working with

And the rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.