TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #121
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So Quadratec sent me the wrong color Trektop. I ordered the Black Diamond, but got the Black Denim. I did not realize the error until my buddy got his Black Diamond in and I went over to install it for him. His was definitely the correct Diamond, and I realized mine was in fact the Denim.

I called Qtec and they made it right for me. They shipped out the Black Diamond top and a UPS pickup to take the Denim back.

You can easily see the color difference here....Diamond on the left, Denim on the right.
The Diamond material is also thicker.

TXST8tj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #122
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had some requests for dimensions of my trunk/enclosure. I built it one piece at a time, so I didn't have any original plans for it.
I put these together getting the measurements as accurate as I could. The dimensions represent each individual piece.....not the assembled dimensions.

I did not illustrate the cutout for the sub because that can vary depending on sub. As you can see in the pic below, I did mount mine over toward the middle of the trunk to clear the cutout/box for the third brake light.

The bottom piece (where sub mounts) rests on the "back" and is secured there. On the inside of the enclosure, I attached a lip for the rest of the bottom piece to attach to. It is nailed and glued from all sides.

I did not include the dimensions of the little box for the brake light cover cutout, but that is easy to figure once those two sides are pieced together. Rather than trying to match the angle needed, I went with straight cuts and a rectangle piece. There is a very minimal loss of air space, and it is an incredibly shorter construction process.

Also, I decided not to add a piece to the driver's side against the side of the tub because it fits so tight, it would not be possible to install it if that piece was there. It is so ridgid otherwise, it's not an issue at all.
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #123
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Tsxt, that enclosure is wicked cool man!!! love it
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #124
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

And you can take that enclousure in and out with little effort? Are there quick connectors for the wiring? This would be a really attractive option for me but I haul gear in the back quite a bit and would need to be able to remove that sub quite often...

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #125
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

The trunk comes out fairly easily. It is a very tight fit so it doesn't just pull straight up (designed that way), but is is no issue to remove on a regular basis.

I did not use a speaker wire terminal for this enclosure. I have used them in the past, but my last couple of enclosures all just get a tiny hole to pass the wire through (and then the hole is sealed).
The couple times I have removed the trunk, I just undo the wires from the amp that is under the seat.
When I move the amp from under the rear seat to under the steering column I will need to come up with a quick release near the trunk.

Click the link in my sig for the build thread of it.
Unread 12-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #126
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Patrick. I've been thinking that a little bit of tax return money this coming year could go toward a home-built sub enclosure like that. Also, I really like the idea of the amp going under the steering column. I'll be watching for how you go about mounting and wiring that.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Unread 12-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #127
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you're starting with zero materials (wood, glue, nails/screws, caulk), it might cost $40 total to build...and you'll be left with tons of stuff left-over.

I bought a full 4x8 sheet of MDF, but only used less than half. The full sheet runs about $25. I have enough other projects that come and go, so having all that extra material is no waste to me. HD sells a smaller piece for like $11, but it's probably not enough, so by the time you buy two of them....you still end up with less material than a 4x8 sheet and cost is almost the same.

I was already using the amp with my previous sub setup. I bought the new JL sub for $70 shipped from ebay, so that plus materials was less than a $100 project.

I am probably going to use the amp rack from Skinny Pedal.
http://skinnypedal.net/store/index.p...&products_id=3
I might come up with something on my own....we'll see.

I like the steering column location because it gets the amp completely off the tub, it's completely hidden, requires less cable to be run, will be out of the elements, and when I ditch the carpet for bedliner, there won't be huge amp cables visible all the way to the back of the tub.
Unread 12-23-2011, 11:05 AM   #128
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Good call! Never even knew this product existed but this would be one heck of an easy way to do a headunit delete.

Unread 12-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #129
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the Skinny Pedal door hanger bracket for my garage. They make smart products.....limited, but smart.

Unread 12-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #130
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The twins are home!!

Unread 12-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #131
APEDZ04LJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
The twins are home!!

so prettttttttyyy!!!!!
APEDZ04LJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #132
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good luck getting a Tuffy to fit in between em. You may want to measure the width of the seat and lower back area and compare to your stock seats. You MAY be able to reclaim some space by mounting one or both seats a tiny bit offset towards the door, but I'm not sure if that would make seating awkward or uncomfortable. But plan for it now.

I can get you measurements from my Tuffy (base and arm rest area), if that would help.

I wanna see pics of the HID's. My Xmas money went towards a family XBox instead of the HID's.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #133
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just ran into the same issues with the stock center console width while attempting to install my minty fresh Dodge Stealth seats. Have yet to figure out what I'm going to do about this beyond selling the seats. I'll have to modify the mounts or fab an adapter just to mount them anyway so if I come up with something brilliant I'll pass it your way, lol.

Unread 12-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #134
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

hallsofstone....thanks in advance! I am hoping to get started on my brackets this weekend (when the family heads home).
I am hoping by making my own brackets that I can gain some space in between them and since I am 6'5", try to push them back a couple inches to get some more leg room.
These seats are fairly wide, so I know it is going to be tight between the doors/rollbars/and each other, but I am going to see what I can do with them.
I really do want a Tuffy center console (as I don't have anything now), but I have a feeling it's going to be too tight.

As long as I can keep my Tuffy "Conceal Carry" drawer under my driver's seat and eventually a Tuffy glove box, I can actually do without the storage of the center console; I just NEED an armrest.

If it comes to it, I have the idea that I could incorporate just an armrest into my future cage. With a full cage, I want to tie the seats into it. It seems like it would be easy enough just to add a short vertical tube with an armrest on top.
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #135
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Good luck getting a Tuffy to fit in between em. You may want to measure the width of the seat and lower back area and compare to your stock seats. You MAY be able to reclaim some space by mounting one or both seats a tiny bit offset towards the door, but I'm not sure if that would make seating awkward or uncomfortable. But plan for it now.

I can get you measurements from my Tuffy (base and arm rest area), if that would help.

I wanna see pics of the HID's. My Xmas money went towards a family XBox instead of the HID's.
Send me your Tuffy measurements if you have time. That would be helpful as I am working on the brackets.

I will get pics of the HIDs as soon as they come in....and I get the IPF housings ordered.

I thought you were getting a new PS3????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.