TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 04-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #61
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

haha....yeah, that's what everyone keeps asking me.

It was sort of a spec. We bought it when it was in framing. We didn't get to do any structural modifications (thus the siding on the upper front left of the house instead of brick), or electrical.

We did however have the chance to make some 'design' upgrades such as adding larger porcelin tile vs the smaller ceramic that they include, upgrading the granite, and the carpet. We had the option to upgrade light and plumbing fixtures, but they only offer a couple options and want waaaaaay too much money for them. We told them to stick to the builder-grade stuff and we're just upgrading with cash as we go.
It wasn't worth mortgaging upgrades when they didn't offer what we really wanted.

Examples of the builder over charging for things:
garage door opener installed - $800
I got a professional grade belt-drive for $220 and installed it myself.

solid wood/glass front door upgrade - $1800-$2000
We're having a solid mahogany, 3/4 lite, hand crafted iron door made and installed for $950.

The house was great otherwise, it was just those little things that we wanted to upgrade on our own terms.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #62
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Built a 'quick' new enclosure for the sub. It is nothing fancy and still needs the top, top board and bedliner, but it is downfiring and although has a crap Sony sub, it sounds 10x better than the rear facing enclosure I had before.
I still plan to build the in-seat enclosure, but this took an hour and will hold me over better than what I was running.

Unread 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #63
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Skinny Pedal door hanger bracket came in yesterday. I have not opened the box yet, but hopefully I will get it installed while I'm working in the garage on Sunday. I'm ready to have the doors off again, and a safe place to store them.
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #64
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

While IPF is my choice for aux. lighting, I could not pass up the current deal on the $10 Hella 500s from Walmart.
I ran them on both of my previous TJs and they are nice lights for the normal price. For $10....it's just kinda silly how great they are .

I went to 2 stores during lunch today and only came back with one set. I have two more to try on the way home today. I hope to get at least one more pair so I can actually mount something on the KC windshield brackets I have had on there for a while now.

Unread 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM   #65
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring still to come. Just wanted to get them mounted...at least.

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:19 AM   #66
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple pics of my full doors on the Skinny Pedal door hanger. It is slightly crooked, but I will be lowering it on the wall some and will make sure it is straight then.
It seems to be well made. It does not flex at all with the doors on there. It has 5 screw points that go into a stud....one in the center and then two on each side (upper and lower) that go in at an angle into the stud.

I am going to contact SP about the hinge pin not resting on the tube on the upper part. That tube is stabilizing the pin, but the lower tubes/hinges are taking all the weight.

(please excuse the messy garage. I am still getting organized!)

Unread 05-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #67
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did mount my 'new' factory bumper. It came from my buddy's TJ (Great White Buffalo). I prefer my chopped OEM bumper, but this one has the flat tow bar brackets on it and mine was too short (after I chopped it) to mount them. I need to clean it up and paint it, but it's at least one less thing on the floor of my garage.

Both the bumper and the towbar need some major cleaning, but it is a solid system. I don't have any immediate plans/need for it, but it is nice to know I have a towing option should I need it in a pinch.

Unread 08-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #68
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I finally took some time to work on my own Jeep today. I installed the JKS 1.25" body lift and Rough Country 1" motor mount lift. Both went seemlessly as expected. It's not much of a big deal, but it was nice finally working on my own Jeep for a change.

I also installed a Bestop bikini top. I plan would like the safari top at some point, but I couldn't pass up free.
It is the drill header type, which I prefer. I like the option to slide it off, fold it up, and store it under the seat should I choose not to run it. It also gives me cover in a pinch if I don't have the soft top with me and we get a surprise rain shower.....no header bars to have to worry about.

Unread 08-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #69
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like it man. Yeah i love my safari top. Bikini tops arent bad
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #70
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!
My buddy bought the bikini top after I told him he would like the safari top better. He ordered the safari the day we installed the bikini top on his TJ.
The bikini top is basically brand new; I just had to buy the header channel.

It's better than having to deal with my Pavement Ends top flapping.

I'm going to wire up the windshield lights and CB next week. After that, that is all of the immediate Jeep mods I need to wrap up.
After that, it's back to working on projects in the garage.....need to get my workbench built.
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #71
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Two of three pieces arrived for my next LITTLE project. The last piece is shipping from Hong Kong so it will take a couple more weeks to get it.

Will update when it's done.

Unread 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #72
SuperRliBerty
2008 KK Liberty 

Cool build up! nice house hope you enjoy it.

Use a lighted toggle switch from Painless wiring to connect the Hella's..... sweet
Resonator removed (sounds like a V8 on start up)
SuperRliBerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #73
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...it's hopefully going to start taking shape this lifetime....and we're loving the house so far. The large garage has been heaven to work in (of course I don't have the two-post lift and A/C in my garage like my neighbor does...jerk ).

I am thinking about going with the 'Carling' switches http://www.otrattw.com/index.php since you can get them with labeled switch covers for whatever accessory you're running. It will keep everything matching and easy to distinguish.
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #74
steve578

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
Thanks...it's hopefully going to start taking shape this lifetime....and we're loving the house so far. The large garage has been heaven to work in (of course I don't have the two-post lift and A/C in my garage like my neighbor does...jerk ).

I am thinking about going with the 'Carling' switches http://www.otrattw.com/index.php since you can get them with labeled switch covers for whatever accessory you're running. It will keep everything matching and easy to distinguish.
I'll take a lift and A/C if you are buying.

I purchased switches from OTRATTW. Some of the best service of any vendor I've dealt with. He responded to an emailed question within an hour and very fast shipping.

My Build Thread.
steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 08:22 AM   #75
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

haha....I don't expect to get a lift anytime soon. While I have 12ft ceilings in the garage and plenty of room for a lift, as soon as I put a Jeep or truck on it, I probably wouldn't get it high enough for my 6'5" self to work under it.
My neighbor's RX7 fits perfectly on his lift, jacked all the way up. However, it has been sitting low lately as he is swapping the 6spd manual for an auto tranny....behind the LS1 --- in a Mazda.

That is good to hear about OTRATTW. I haven't ordered from them yet, but as soon as I decide on which color actuators (red or blue) I want to go with, I'll get the first one ordered.

How is your nose doing ? I am still planning to swing by one evening soon.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.