TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #46
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

well, while the speakers sound great, they certainly do not take the place of a sub woofer. I currently have one 10" sub behind the rear seat. It is not an optimal setup by any means, but it is working for the time. I will be going with a new sub setup, however.

My next round of stereo plans include a Skinny Pedal amp mount (under steering wheel/behind dash) for the sub amp, and two JL 8w3v2 subs in an rear seat inseat enclosure.

I am trading seat brackets with my friend Paul. He has the standard seat bracket and want my fold and tumble. I want his standard bracket. He gets the tumble feature, and I get to keep my larger Tuffy drawer.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #47
03Jeeper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait to see how your build turns out. Great work.
Subscribed
Sienna Pearl Coat Club Member #24
/l ,[____],
l---L-OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)-o-)_)

My totaled TJ rebuild
03Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #48
autorevolution
1997 TJ Wrangler 

nice build, stay posted
autorevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #49
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any new updates?
Unread 01-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #50
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJeeper09 View Post
Any new updates?
None that I would really like to post......but I will.
I'm getting new brakes. Haha. Whether I needed them or not, I'm getting new brakes, wheel studs, and lug nuts this weekend....because NOW I need them.

Driving home Thursday evening doing 65mph in the fast lane, my driver's front tire flew off. I think the lug nuts failed. The studs were pushed back, loose behind the rotor/hub, but the threads were not messed up at all.

My buddy was also on his way home and stopped to give me a hand. We jacked it up, pulled three of the studs through, and mounted the spare tire with the 3 spare tire lugs. It was enough to get me home to get it on jack stands.

Unfortunately, that is my only update for now. We are selling our house and in the process of having one built. The new house is taking all the extra time, attention, and money. I suppose part of that could be considered a Jeep update.....the new house has a 3-car garage!!

Unread 02-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #51
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have not had much time at all to work on the Jeep. I am ready to have it all fixed and back on the road...just need a couple spare moments.

I did however take the caliper and rotor off last night. I am glad I did because it exposed a couple parts that I needed to order from the dealership.
I knocked the three studs that are left, loose. I tried to remove them, but there is not enough room. From what I understand after a quick search last night, to get those out and the new studs in, I have to unbolt the shaft from the axle tube to gain enough clearance.
The tails of the three bolts that hold all of that together were obviously damaged when the wheel went flying. I figure it was the loose wheel studs that hit against them and messed them up.
I think I can cut the tips of two of them off so I can remove them, but the third was cut and ground smooth. I have a feeling that one is going to be a severe PITA to get out.
I called the dealership this morning and they have the 3 bolts on hand, so I won't have to wait for those to come in. I am leaving work early today, so I hope to get a good head start on working on it.

Check out all the holes in the rotor.....

(Think I can get just get that machined out?) HAHA
Unread 02-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #52
seadoons
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yikes. I see you live in Katy...what neighborhood are you building in? We live in Grand Lakes - Grand Parkway & Fry road area.

Good luck with your wheel stud issue. Glad you are alright!
seadoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #53
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I FINALLY got around to installing the Tuffy Conceal Carry drawer. My friend Paul hooked me up with a seat bracket swap. I had the fold and tumble and he had the standard tilt bracket. I wanted the full length drawer more than the fold and tumble function, and he wanted it, so it was an easy swap for us.

The drawer is about 16.5" long when full extended and about 7" wide. Tons of space for those little expensive things like radio faceplates, sunglasses, Ipod, etc.

I cut a piece of non-slip drawer liner to keep stuff from....slipping.

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #54
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On another note....the house is coming along. They poured the flatwork on Friday. It will be easier to explain with the updated picture of it, but they had to curve the driveway portion for the 3rd car garage to go around the fire hidrant.....as opposed to a full 3-car width driveway. I talked to the 'super' about it and he said it would be the cost of a small car to have the hidrant moved. So it is what it is.

Unread 03-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #55
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Nice house man, looks really really good, and the fact that it's a three car garage makes it that much better.

Also glad you came out of loosing a wheel at highway speeds safe, thats some ****. I may be mistaken, but can't you just replace the wheel bearing assembly and get all new stud without pulling the shaft? I replaced them on my YJ at $70 a pop but they had new studs with them. Just a though and it's pretty simple except for the axle nut (which you'd have to remove anyway to get the shaft out).

Take care, I look forward to your build coming along.
Unread 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #56
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Today is the day; we close at 1:00. It will be 6alls to the wall right after that to get things moved in from storage and get started on the garage (paint and epoxy). I have a few people waiting to have work done on their Jeeps/trucks, so I need to be up and running ASAP.

Unread 04-18-2011, 12:13 PM   #57
thirdeye
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nice, the house is looking pretty good!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thirdeyes-second-tj-1816002/
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #58
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! We have been really enjoying being in the new house. We have been crazy with house related projects. Our first round of plantation shutters are being installed next week and our new front door is being built and will be installed first week of May.
I have been upgrading the light fixtures as fast as the lighting company can get them to me.

All of that plus LOTS more, and I have not done a single upgrade to the garage . It is coming though. Other things are taking priority and that is OK.
I have worked on a few Jeeps and a couple trucks in since we've been there though. Business definitely has not slowed. I have a 2500 Suburban diesel in the garage right now . It's gonna be a beast.
Unread 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #59
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The only update I have related to my Jeep is that I have been enjoying the top and doors being off again.

I ordered the door hanger bracket from Skinny Pedal today. I am anxious to get that up on the wall to keep the doors in good shape while off.

I told mysefl it would happen, and I think it has, but I am seriously considering starting on the suspension earlier than later as I had originally planned.
I'm getting the bug pretty bad actually. It doesn't help when a customer shows up and asks why my Jeep is so small and they leave the garage completely modified.....it's time.
Unread 04-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #60
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
Thanks! We have been really enjoying being in the new house. We have been crazy with house related projects. Our first round of plantation shutters are being installed next week and our new front door is being built and will be installed first week of May.
I have been upgrading the light fixtures as fast as the lighting company can get them to me.

All of that plus LOTS more, and I have not done a single upgrade to the garage . It is coming though. Other things are taking priority and that is OK.
I have worked on a few Jeeps and a couple trucks in since we've been there though. Business definitely has not slowed. I have a 2500 Suburban diesel in the garage right now . It's gonna be a beast.
Thought it was a new house? Was it a 'spec' house that you're upgrading?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.