TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #226
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_f150 View Post
Check out this place for your control arms material. http://www.rocksolidperformance.com/...luminum-links/
I had not seen that site before. Looks like a good resource. I like the option of aluminum for the weight reduction, but the price is a bit tough to swallow.
2' of DOM steel will cost about $50, where 2' of alum will cost $105. A $55 difference.

Two steel lowers (tube portion only) will weight about 9 pounds.
Two alum lowers (tube portion only) will weight about 2 pounds.

That is a pretty decent weight savings, but on the grand scale (across all eight control arms) you might be talking about a weight difference of a small ice chest. It all adds up of course, but I suppose I am ok with a lower cost, heavier weight Jeep.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #227
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Plus the weight is Low enough it may help some with stability...
jeepster1407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #228
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have basically decided this is the route for my Jeep....steel that is.
For my rockers, I bought a 4x8 sheet of 3/16" plate. Way more than I need for that project, but other things come up. That sheet cost just over $100.
The same size sheet of 3/16" alum was $425.

The weight savings of the finished product in alum would be substantial (several pounds), but the cost makes it not worth it to me. There are countless debates on it all over this forum, so I won't bother with it here. When my TJ is armored up, the cumulative weight total between steel and the same parts in alum will equal about one adult passenger. Considering it's me and one 5-year old passenger (wife never rides in the Jeep), it will be like having an extra adult passenger. The Jeep is capable of handling that.

Anyway, there is my justification. I'm ok with it and that's all that matters. Alum is great and if the cost was the same, I would go for it all over the place.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #229
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I'm with you. I get steel super cheap so I always stick with it over aluminum
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #230
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So one of my many small projects it making a tailgate license plate/third brake light/cb antenna mount. There are a couple options out there for this, but I had the sheet steel, so why not make my own....not to mention, the version I am copying does not have much room to add a 3rd brake light as I am wanting.

For reference, this TNT version is the design I am working off of....

I cut the sheet to the basic size I needed to work with. Next the four main bolt holes were lined up and drilled. With the plate hanging, I was able to line up the license plate, which determines where the 3rd brake light and cb antenna will go.

To keep 5-0 happy, I bought a set of plate LED light bolts on ebay for a couple bucks. From what I have seen, they are plenty bright.
For the 3rd brake light, I found a short LED bar. I have 4" round LED tail lights to go in, so I wanted to keep all of the rear lights LED for the same intensity and look.

The CB antenna mount will go in about the same place as with the TNT version.

Once the 3rd brake light is located for good, I can determine how high I will cut the bottom radius. I will also do the side curves at the same time.

Since there is no need for all of the material behind the license plate, I will cut out most of the plate behind it.
Unread 03-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #231
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great build so far! I'm in Cinco Ranch-- we should meet up and wheel some time. Are you the guy on Craigslist that does lift installs?

My TJ Build Thread...
bclark11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #232
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclark11 View Post
Great build so far! I'm in Cinco Ranch-- we should meet up and wheel some time. Are you the guy on Craigslist that does lift installs?
Thanks! We should definitely meet up. I am in Westhiemer Lakes North.
I am that guy. hahaha.
Unread 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #233
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj
Thanks! We should definitely meet up. I am in Westhiemer Lakes North.
I am that guy. hahaha.
Ha! I thought so... Recognized your house. I plan on going to the Southern High Rollers wheeling trip on the 23rd. They are going to Sugar Hill Offroad Park. Let me know if you're going and if you want to caravan. I'll PM you my contact info.

My TJ Build Thread...
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #234
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I will have to look up "Southern High Rollers". I went out to Sugar Hill when he first opened. Haven't been back since, but I might try to make it out....nothing technical, but good for a few hours of fun.
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #235
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled it out of the garage and washed it yesterday. I also pulled the center caps off the wheels....looking much better.

Oh, and I actually drove it to work today!!

...and I love the hood pins. ZERO hood flutter.

Unread 03-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #236
jeepster1407
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good!
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #237
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

I haven't decided if I will trim it some more, or keep it like this......

Unread 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #238
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Going to leave it like that. There is just enough material left on either side of the license plate.

I picked up an angle finder the other day and was able to lock in the angles on the mini-boatside rockers. Next step is to notch the underside piece for the body mounts so I can get the basic fitment done, and then bring them in for final welding. Then back to be bolted on.
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #239
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered a Tom Woods SYE and CV rear ds. No telling when they will get installed, but I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. The DS might need to be modified since I am only going to be running 2" of suspension lift, but I'll take care of that when it's time.

For now, one more thing off the check list.
Unread 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #240
bclark11

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj
Ordered a Tom Woods SYE and CV rear ds. No telling when they will get installed, but I couldn't pass up on the opportunity. The DS might need to be modified since I am only going to be running 2" of suspension lift, but I'll take care of that when it's time.

For now, one more thing off the check list.
Get a good deal? Where from and how much? I need to do a SYE bad.

My TJ Build Thread...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.