TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #181
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered some hood pins from Poly Performance. I hope to get them installed soon.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Hood-Pins-p-36.html
They were $41.79 shipped for the two (sold at $15 each + shipping). They come as a "Synergy" part with their "S" stamped on the grommets. Other versions out there that I considered are are from Autofab, Daystar, and Rokmen.

I think I was expecting a more rigid/hard plastic material; these are more of a polyurethane. It does say that in the product discription...I just didn't read it . All of the brands use the same type of urethane grommet, so no worries there.

The Autofab pins are $30/pair, and use a 9/16" pin.
The Daystar pins are $36/pair, and use a 5/8" pin.
The Rokmen pins are $80/pair, and use a 9/16" pin. These use the Autofab grommet.
These Synergy pins were the best deal compared to Autofab and Daystar. They are $30/pair, and use a 5/8" pin.

After reading the install write-up of these non-Rokmen hood pins on a TJ, I saw that it wouldn't be worth the additional $50 (including shipping) for the Rokmen set.

The backstory with deciding on hood pins is that the Jeep had a crap non-OEM style latch on it when I bought the Jeep. It was on there obviously because the stock latch failed. When the crap latch failed, I replaced it with an OEM latch. That one failed and it was replaced under warranty. That one is now tearing as well and is only a matter of a few more 18-wheeler passes before it fails. So the Jeep is up to at least 4 latches since new (possibly more).
That is one reason I am moving toward the hood pins.

The other reason is that I planned to install hood pins when I cut my hood with the hi-line fenders....whenever they happen.

I am looking forward to a 'flutterless' hood!

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #182
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Washed the Jeep while I had the doors and windows on....then got naked.

The weather is too nice (finally) to keep the Jeep all buttoned up.

Unread 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #183
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I also finished the bumper this past weekend. I am hoping to get the tube work ordered very soon to have that welded on and the bumper finalized.

Unread 10-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #184
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So I skipped the tube work for the front bumper for now. I did however still place an order with www.jeeptubes.com. I just ordered the "narrow hi-line tube fender kit".

I am ordering the 1/8" plate from work to make the horizontal and vertical "skins". I also plan to attempt making the inner fenders.

Hi-lines have always been in the plans, but I decided to jump them forward a couple steps. I will need new tires soon (need + REALLY want) and I would like to make a small jump to 33s. I am not 100% certain on what my suspension setup will be, so rather than do that twice, I decided to skip to the mod that will remain regardless of suspension, but would create the room needed for 33s.

The suspension setup I am interested in contains Currie/Savvy 3" coils, Bilstein 5100s, Rokmen or custom contol arms, and another host of Currie/Savvy parts. I am not ready to jump right into all of that just to fit 33s, and then later decide I want something different. Truth is, I wouldn't mind a bit of rear stretch, so again, I would just like more time to plan out the suspension.

That thought process put me in the mindset of doing the hi-lines and running the stock suspension for now. I am running 3/4" coil spacers and a 1.25" body lift, so I could probably even get away with 35s, but there again opens up another deal. I am not interested in going crazy with a d44/8.8 rear to support 35s.....and then build 60s later for 37s+.
I am planning to swap in some Superior shafts and possibly a lockright or something in the rear, regear, and run the 30/35 combo with the 33s.

That setup will let me continue to have fun wheeling while focusing on the next steps.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #185
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Talked to Tim at JeepTubes on the way home from the office. He had just finished bending up my fender tubes. They ship tomorrow.

I will get the 1/8" plate ordered tomorrow. I am getting a 4x8 sheet. The price is decent (I think anyway) - $60 delivered, so I might as well have plenty to build the inner fenders and another small project I have in mind.

As soon as I get these 'ranch hand' bumpers and toolboxes out of the garage (thus installed), I will be ready to start tearing the TJ apart.

Anyone need some nice blue TJ fenders and flares?
Unread 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #186
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got some other goodies ordered up for the Jeep.......Genright trail stinger and grille hoop as well as some accessories for my CO2 that I had previously not gotten around to (I still need to order a mounting bracket for it though).

Rear corner armor is next on the list when the front fenders are done

Seriously considering an 8.8 and beefed up d30 for 35s......just think I will regret 33s, and I was already planning on upgraded shafts and gears for 33s. It seems like the added expense of getting an 8.8 ready to bolt-in would be worth it vs. putting money into the d35.
Unread 10-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #187
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm doing the same style highlines! You may beat me, I'm just so busy.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #188
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are you doing your own tube work, or ordering the kit from JeepTubes?

The ready-made fenders I was interested in were the TNT Phantom Hylines. They essentially follow the same narrow lines as these from JT. I figured I would try to save several hundred dollars and build them myself. They won't be TNT quality, but I expect mine to turn out nicely.
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #189
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

At first I was going to try Jeep tubes. But then my friend got his bender setup. I'm going to give it a shot. When you going to start yours?
Unread 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #190
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If I knew someone with a bender, I would've given that a shot. Think that JT is reasonably priced (considerig cost of material and time/effort) and really just simplifies that part of the build for me.

The tubes were supposed to ship last Wednesday. I don't have a tracking #, but I expect them any day now (they are based out of the North West). I checked with the procurement guy here at work and he added my plate to another order this morning, so it will be here in a day or so.
I realistically won't have time to start tearing into the Jeep for about two weeks. Baseball for my son ends next week, and while that has been going on, there really are not too many free evenings. The following week, I would like to start though.
Unread 10-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #191
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The fender tube kit showed up today. They definitely leave plenty of material to cut off at the grille.

I think these are going to be pretty nice.....narrow, but not ridiculously narrow.

I can't wait to start on them! Plate will be in on Friday.

Unread 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #192
Jeepster_4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i did the same to my wheels with the plasti dip but with my own little twist..
getattachment.jpg

Jeepster_4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #193
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

^ picture is too small to see.
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #194
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not really much to do with the "build", but I got around to getting a couple small items I haven't bothered with for a while.
I've been running a CO2 setup for a few years now using a #10 alum. tank and The Source 150psi regulator. I never bothered to get a handle or boot, so here we go. I still need to order a mounting bracket.
I also got a handle keeper for my hi-lift. Something told me the garage wall was not doing a good enough job holding it

My Genright grille hoop and stinger are supposed to ship out on Monday or Tuesday.

I also started collecting pieces for the new air intake setup since the stock airbox won't work with the new fenders. I don't want an exposed filter just chillin' in the engine bay (K&N, AEM, etc. style), and I don't see it much better just running a cone filter into the cowl area since it's even more exposed to the elements there. SO, the best solution I can come up with is a snorkel setup with a cover that comes up through the cowl. I am not going for the "look at me and my snorkel" approach, but it seems like it will satisfy my needs.
Unread 11-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #195
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Decided on my intake setup/design. Ordered one piece for it last night. Will pick up the remaining parts locally. I'll share the details when the pieces are together.

I also just ordered a little Poison Spyder do-dad

Ordered it through Northridge4x4. They offer free shipping on orders over $100 (and have great customer service otherwise), so I went ahead and ordered the powdercoated version, which was the cost of shipping if ordered straight through PSC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.