TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > TXST8tj - 2001 TJ build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #151
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's an awesome picture! Always nice for us loner garage monkeys to have a bit of help!

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #152
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

He LOVES to work in the garage with me. I made him his own work bench so he would have something to work on.

He has his own scrap lumber, hammer and nails to "build" with, but I need to get him a couple of his own hand tools because he really likes the screwdriver and playing with sockets.
TXST8tj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #153
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up some new 1-1/4" square tube and some flat 3/16th x 2" strips to make some new brackets.
I used some self-tapping screws to hold the cross pieces in place so I could get it over to someone to weld it together. I got the seat set in place and test fitted in the Jeep.

End of the day....I am ordering full replacement brackets from Corbeau (not the adapters).

After my mockup today, and the chance to climb in and out with the seat in place, I don't want that extra 1-1/4" rise from my adapters (or the Corbeau adapters). The higher side bolsters, plus 1"+ of mounted height is not going to be ideal for passengers.

I was able to add some more leg room, which was nice (and my plan), but it is almost 'clumsy'....not sure how else to word that.

Unfortunately, I did buy the new steel to work with, but I only used one piece of each, so I can return the rest.

I was really trying to avoid buying the Corbeau brackets, but I am just not satisfied with the way mine were going to turn out. I was trying to avoid the $100 a piece cost for one, and I was also interested in keeping the fold-n-tumble of the passenger seat.
At least this way I'll have the chance to recoup some $ by selling brackets and seats (if anyone even wants them).

Unread 01-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #154
hallsofstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That's a really excellent effort with those brackets. Really look good but I'm sorry to hear that they won't work for you... Just paid off the credit card and cut it up so I'll have my payment amount to work with each month and no debt hanging over my head. I'll start sizing the seats I've got up and see what solution I can come up with.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."
H. L. Mencken - US editor (1880 - 1956)

K.C.C.O. [url]www.thechive.com[/url]
hallsofstone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #155
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!

It's pretty unfortunate actually. The bracket would work, I am just not satisfied with the whole package of my adapters, plus the factory sliders and bracket.

Good for you for paying off your debt! That is a huge accomplishment. Cash is king in my world.
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #156
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ordered the Corbeau full replacement seat brackets yesterday. I Joe ("Quadratec" on the forums) for free shipping, again. They called Corbeau while on the phone with me to verify when they would ship out. They are in stock and ready to go, so they said drop-shipped in 4-5 days.

I have a couple roadtrips for work coming up soon, so it will be nice having them finally installed. My roadtrip last week was hell with my driver's seat.

I need to get the Hella E-codes ordered so I can install my DDM Tuning HIDs, but spending $200 on brackets yesterday took priority.
Unread 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #157
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Radiator took a dump today. The OEM made it 108k miles and 11 years, so I guess it's not all bad. Ordered a new one this morning. Hoping it will be here QUICKLY.
I am probably going to replace the water pump, t-stat, serp. belt (and possibly hoses) at the same time.

I was about to order the Hella E-Codes, but I guess they will have to wait a little longer.
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #158
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about the radiator! Hate it when routine maintenance stuff get's in the way of getting cool stuff! My clutch master cyl/slave took a crap on me last month just when I was getting close to ordering my Currie UCA's! Did a hoses/belt check under the hood yesterday and found the CCV line cracked and blowby going all over the valve cover. Always seems to be something! I agree with you. Do the whole cooling system while your in there. Check the water pump/fan clutch too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #159
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthetj03 View Post
Sorry to hear about the radiator! Hate it when routine maintenance stuff get's in the way of getting cool stuff! My clutch master cyl/slave took a crap on me last month just when I was getting close to ordering my Currie UCA's! Did a hoses/belt check under the hood yesterday and found the CCV line cracked and blowby going all over the valve cover. Always seems to be something! I agree with you. Do the whole cooling system while your in there. Check the water pump/fan clutch too.
Me too!! I am happy to take care of that stuff as it comes up, and very happy to catch the issue before it becomes a larger problem. However, I have been feeling really good about the mods I've been able to knock out lately (slow as they are coming), and redoing the cooling system was not really in mind at the moment. Oh well.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #160
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha...Paul, you are correct! You beat me to it this morning.

The Corbeau seat brackets arrived yesterday...on my neighbor's front porch (third time UPS has done that; at least I know where to look now!!).

The seats bolted up like a dream. The brackets are simple, but very effective and very precise. The seats JUST clear the rollbar and the door. Corbeau definitely did what they could to ensure the seats stay as far apart as possible while still maintaining function and clearance.

The drive in to work this morning was great! I do sit up a little higher, but it is within a manageable height for my wife and I. It is much lower than if I used the adapaters, so I am completely satisfied there. I do give some of that credit to the seats having brand new foam compared to my 11 year old seats.

The Tuffy "Conceal Carry Drawer" still fits under the driver's seat. That was one concern I had with going this route, but it worked out just fine.
You can see the brackets for it in the second pic just above. I didn't have time and light to get the drawer back in there last night, so I'll take care of that today.

Using the Corbeau brackets, I do loose the fold and tumble feature on the passenger side. It does make it a little more difficult getting my son in the backseat (not hard, just more difficult than basically having the seat all the way in the dash to do it), but it is completely workable. When it warms up, the top/windows are off full-time, so he doesn't even get in through the front door 80% of the time.

The only thing I think I will change/modify is the slider lever. It sticks out quite a bit. They are new, so I have been conscious of it, but I think they could become a pain to always avoid.
I might try heating up the lever and bending them so they don't stick out too far.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #161
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, I also finally got around to wiring up my Hella windshield lights. Knowing my seats would be installed soon got me motivated to finish up a couple old projects.

They are definitely more for looks, but I'm ok with that...especially since I got them during the $10 clearance a while back. I can use them out at the ranch or camping, so they will eventually be put to use.

Unread 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #162
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is finally going to official "toy" status here at my house. I am taking the Suburban back as my DD.
This past Saturday, my wife and I flew up to Dallas to buy and drive home a new Tahoe for her.

This should make working on my Jeep much easier as there won't always be such a rush to get everything put back together. I do still plan to drive it a lot, but it will be nice having something with A/C when it gets hot in like two weeks here....haha.
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:27 AM   #163
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got another little goodie for the Jeep this past weekend. I've been working on a TJ for a buddy of mine and replaced the headunit with a newer model. In taking the old stuff out, we came across this Alpine Power Pack. It was hard wired to the Pioneer h/u that was in the Jeep.
He had no interest in keeping it, so he gave it to me.

Since the Alpine connectors were cut off to make it work with the Pioneer, I had to hard wire it so I could use it with my Alpine. No worries there. Just some solder, heat shrink, and time!

I installed it last night, but it was too late to test it out and make tuning adjustments.

Other than moving my sub amp under the steering column, the stereo is done.
Unread 05-19-2012, 11:08 PM   #164
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like I got the Plasti-Dip bug.....anxious to see what it looks like tomorrow.

Unread 05-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #165
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I have to say that they came out nice IMO. I have no idea how they will hold up to any abuse, but I let them cure for more than 12 hours before mounting up. I still plan to run a Soft 8 in the future...probably next spring...but I think this will certainly hold me over.

I went a beat it up a little today at Sugar Hill Offroad Park.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.