Twisted: My LOW 91 YJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Twisted: My LOW 91 YJ Build Thread

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Twisted: My LOW 91 YJ Build Thread

This is how it all began......
When I turned 16 and got my license I had a choice between:

and

I picked the YJ because: Topless, manual, FUN, lower miles, better MPG.
Above is after i exchanged the super top for a factory top, switched the full doors for half, and exchanged the worn out BFG ats for new Federal ATs and stock jeep rims. (We had a parts jeep at the time) I then changed the Transmission brass milkshake and just did a general tune up.
Shortly after I picked the YJ my father bought this:

The Chevy was sold shortly after and in all honesty it felt like a family member died. I still have the slight regret of picking the Jeep.

on my way home from installing some TJ flares I picked up for $50 I had the hood fly up at 55-60mph. I then found out my brakes pull to the left as I locked them up flying into on-comming traffic! Keep in mind this was all within 3 months of getting my Jeep and license. (IIRC)

After that I just drove it for about a year. Also I only put like 5k on it that year!
Then my friend got into off-roading and we took his pathfinder to walker valley.

That whole trip I was even more pissed at my beaver shackles then normal. So I saved up some pennies and priced out an OME lift.
Got the lift springs from a Quadratech Rep on here for $440 to my door. 14F/36R Looking back now I should have definitely gotten 36Rs all the way around.

Still the best mod I ever did to my YJ! Those shackles should have been hucked in the ocean! So I sold them to a sucker for $40.... Then my old springs for $160. OME lift for $240?
Next Wheels! I hunt craigslist 1-3 times a day. So I scored these guys for $25! 2 of the rims were bent.

Ordered some new ones from summit and bam wheels and tires for $250.

Flexed it out to see how bad it rubbed:

That's a yes!
Built a hand throttle for $10:

Another brilliant mod! So I had to go test it out right!?
~~oh but wait!~~
Bought a lunchbox for the front axle only to find out the guy didn't know what he was selling. Returned for a loss of $10

and replaced some wiper bits with a Wipeboy kit (poop)

~~~~
Went back to walker with the pathfinder owner, who broke down; a lot.

This is easy valley connector lol!

Slowest sketchiest and funniest drive home ever in the history of my wheeling life. The pathfinder was on craigslist before we left walker...

He also blew a tire that day which we patched 3 times.
A month after that I got the itch to go wheeling again so I hooked up with zte87 for my first real trip at walker!

I'll let you pop over to his build thread for more pics and info on that trip!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...53/index3.html
I picked up an AC compressor and began my OBA (still in progress)

I also picked up some brand new KCs for $25 and went out with Zac again.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...l#post12581712

91BoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

More OBA:

Now this is where things get interesting! One thing you have to realize is this heep has been in at least 3 accidents. The front left section of frame is bent and repaired. The right fender is dented and not original. The rear cross member is bashed in pulling the rails together a bit. The whole drivers side is covered in bondo and to top it all off no 2 panels have the same shade of red!

Wanna guess what made that dent?!

I got T-boned by a Jetta. Not going to go into details about it, but basically I provoked road rage in the Jetta driver who tried to make it look like I rear ended her. When I avoided her and went to pass she drove into the side of me and I drove over her.

She was put at full fault. Her insurance (Deals with high risk drivers!) came out and wrote me a check for $758.
So I went out and bought 4 of these!

Went and got a good laugh from a local kid in a local pit. Stock XJ; we ripped off every possible recovery point!

Arrived late to a sober up run!
Only did one trail

Pathfinder buddy got an XJ so we took him out to walker!

He's since sold it and is now sporting a ricer

Traded my old 33s for a sub, amp, and $100. Sold my old 31s for cheap... $200

Installed some LEDs

After 2 years I cut the back wheel well and re-positioned the flares. I plan on using stretch perches when I install my 8.8! oh yeah did i mention i got an 8.8 for free!? too bad it has the wrong gears!

Got tired of bending my fenders back so installed some bumpstops; they help.

RTI = 860

Unread 02-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Got a license plate light and knock of Stauns

Knocked off my rear driver bumpstop while "extending" my rear break line!

Painted all the flares Ultra Flat Black

I don't have any clean pics of them because I went wheeling the next day!

Guess who's paint!

I think i should probably make some rocker guards now.

Alright guys you're all caught up! I'll continue to update these posts and thread as my jeep progresses.
Hoping to get a lunchbox and install my TJ shafts this month.

Comments and questions welcomed!

A complete timeline with extra pictures can be viewed on my facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3862117&type=1
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #4
imcfarland93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Liking it so far man. Good looks. Check mine out and lemme know what you think I like the tires a lot. I kinda like the stuffed look. Might want to look into some wheel spacers to get better turning. But that's just my .02 I have 1.5" wheel spacers and I love the look

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/i...sarah-1225169/

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ians-1993-jeep-wrangler-yj-sarah-1225169/[/url]
imcfarland93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #5
XJcaveman
1999 XJ Cherokee 

love this thread. it's like i was in your story the whole time. keep up the good work. love it.

and kick your friend in the junk for selling the xj for a ricer
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
zte87
2.5 POWER!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You should go more in dept with the oba!!! I am glad to finally see a build on your rig man......when you going out again?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1272253/

94 jeep zj bb lift, 31-10.50-15 toyo at2s, magnaflow exhaust!
zte87 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zte87
You should go more in dept with the oba!!! I am glad to finally see a build on your rig man......when you going out again?
Don't worry I'll do a full write up on here once I'm completely satisfied with the system. Thanks man

Once I get some rocker guards! I don't want to accidentally smash up my perfect drivers side rocker lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJcaveman
love this thread. it's like i was in your story the whole time. keep up the good work. love it.

and kick your friend in the junk for selling the xj for a ricer
Thanks that means a lot That's what I was trying to go for!
Oh, I already have! We were all very disappointed, but the car does match his faggy personality!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcfarland93
Liking it so far man. Good looks. Check mine out and lemme know what you think I like the tires a lot. I kinda like the stuffed look. Might want to look into some wheel spacers to get better turning. But that's just my .02 I have 1.5" wheel spacers and I love the look

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/i...sarah-1225169/
Thanks! I'll pop over there during my morning cereal
Definitely going for the "stuffed" look and I love my duratracs!
The rims are 3.75bs so I'm pretty good in the turning department.
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Was just about to buy my front spartan then I got a $120 ticket.
Then I just found a lockright on Craigslist, but I passed on it due to wear. Still searching/saving...

Replaced my battery terminals

Fixed my gas gauge

Now to go work on graduating HS
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot, got a 70amp plasma cutter. Also borrowed a friends mig; been doing a bit of practice with both.
forumrunner_20120331_223215.jpg

Picked up some steel for rocker gaurds and other projects. Going to get those done over spring break which starts Tuesday.
forumrunner_20120331_223230.jpg

Thinking about killing 2 birds with one stone. Fix my motor mounts and do a MML using the cheap-o ricer window weld method and some longer studs.

Took care of my $124 ticket, but it's off my record. No more deferrals so I have to watch my speed a bit better!

Found a new appreciation for LCOG when I jumped into my brothers Toyota and almost rolled twice. My rig will never be tall!
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

There's low budget, and there's LCOG. There's a difference. They can be the same for a very, very, very, short minute. Then things add up real quick. Good luck with the jeep.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennettj13
There's low budget, and there's LCOG. There's a difference. They can be the same for a very, very, very, short minute. Then things add up real quick. Good luck with the jeep.
Oh trust me I know, but in comparison to this yota my jeep is a low slung sports car!
My jeep is currently low budget, but I'm always going to try and stick to my lcog plans. Flopping isn't high my list of to dos'. :P

Thanks man good luck with yours as well.
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good looking build. How much did your OBA parts cost?
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #13
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver
Good looking build. How much did your OBA parts cost?
Thanks! I've only just gotten started.

I'm sitting around $100 from scratch and there are still some loose ends to finish and add some type of air storage.
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BoD View Post
Thanks! I've only just gotten started.

I'm sitting around $100 from scratch and there are still some loose ends to finish and add some type of air storage.
I keep thinking about doing OBA but never get around to it. Like you I never use the AC.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
91BoD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by castorriver

I keep thinking about doing OBA but never get around to it. Like you I never use the AC.
It's really nice to able to air up or reseat beads. I never actually had AC. That's what the soft top is for

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.