Turbo 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Builds > Turbo 4.0L

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
SaskJeep2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Turbo 4.0L

Used a t04b

SaskJeep2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Alright call me retarded or something but Why is your turbo connected to your intake? Turbos are off the exhaust. unless you were using the intake as a cooler?
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think I must be retarded too b/c I thought the same thing
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Rallysman

It's exhaust driven but what good would that do if it's not putting the air where it should be?

Sweet setup. I'd like to see some videos to hear that bad boy.
Rallysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Big4mike9
1993 YJ Wrangler 

His set up is right. Search alittle. Assured Performance .::. How A Turbocharger Works
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know the intake part of the turbo is correct, but I'm trying to follow the piping too and the thing I can't figure out is how the exhaust (drivers side) gets to the turbo. Did you pull the impeller pipe under the engine and up to the turbo?
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The turbo is fed from the exhaust gases, it uses the exhuast to spind the turbine,it then compresses the air, and forces it into the trhottle body.

wiki defintion:

A turbocharger is a small radial fan pump driven by the energy of the exhaust gases of an engine. A turbocharger consists of a turbine and a compressor on a shared shaft. The turbine converts exhaust heat and pressure to rotational force, which is in turn used to drive the compressor. The compressor draws in ambient air and pumps it in to the intake manifold at increased pressure, resulting in a greater mass of air entering the cylinders on each intake stroke.
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

o0o nice!! post them in the Turbo TJ thread
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
dand3053
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
I know the intake part of the turbo is correct, but I'm trying to follow the piping too and the thing I can't figure out is how the exhaust (drivers side) gets to the turbo. Did you pull the impeller pipe under the engine and up to the turbo?
It looks like the last sentence you wrote is right. There appears to be a pipe running under the oil pan up to the turbo. If you look close at the last couple of pics you can kinda see it.
dand3053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh I never knew that the exhaust gasses were forced back into the engine. I thought that they were just forced out of the engine for getting rid of ehaust gasses faster. Wouldnt the compressed air from the turbo sent back into the throttle body be hot air? Help me out here, im just trying to figure this out.
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
arjj09

The exhAust doesn't go back into the engine. A turbo has two sides. One side is mounted to the exhaust manifold and as the engine forces the exhaust out it causes the turbine to spin and then exits through the exhaust pipe. As the turbine spins on the exhaust side it causes the intake side to spin. This causes the air intake to suck in more air and it compresses it then it usually cools it and it is pushed into the engine causing more power.
arjj09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #12
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

there are 2 turbines on a turbo, 1 for the exhaust which spins the compressor turbine for the intake side. the exhaust gas flows through the backside of the turbo which spins the pinwheel that is on a driveshaft - the intake side of the turbo sucks cold air in and compresses it and forces it into the engine at several atmospheres.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler1997TJ View Post
Oh I never knew that the exhaust gasses were forced back into the engine. I thought that they were just forced out of the engine for getting rid of ehaust gasses faster. Wouldnt the compressed air from the turbo sent back into the throttle body be hot air? Help me out here, im just trying to figure this out.
The air is much hotter! That is why a intercooler is used on most applications. There is the standard air cooled intercooler or water cooled. The water cooled works great and takes up much less room but will hydro lock a engine if it begins to leak
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
SaskJeep2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't intercool it since I live in a some-what cold climate most of the year and I'm only running about 7psi boost. I do plan on intercooling it eventually for efficiency's sake but it works quite well as is.
SaskJeep2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #15
Skytard
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok tell me if this sounds about right. There are two sides to a turbo, one side to get rid of gasses faster and another side that acts as a supercharcher(my idea of a super may be wrong but i think it just forces air into the throttle body)? So if thats true, whats the point of even supercharging an enine if a turbo does exhaust and intake?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.